You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Was just looking for some feedback on this hand.

Pre, i think i should be betting slightly bigger 20-24p due to the limpers.

It's not a terrible flop for 99s, not really loving life when i get 2 callers and the board is pretty connected.

I decide to check the turn (mistake?), i don't mind slowing down here.

When it is checked round on the turn, i'm happy i have the best hand on the river so decide to vaue bet it. Don't know if i should just be checking this, or bet folding?

kruger Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.23
LARSON7 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.15
  Your hole cards

MrTnBizkit Fold     
shebasbell Call  £0.04 £0.10 £5.68
MAZZ1953 Fold     
pkrwiz Call  £0.04 £0.14 £3.31
kruger Call  £0.02 £0.16 £2.21
LARSON7 Raise  £0.16 £0.32 £3.99
shebasbell Fold     
pkrwiz Call  £0.16 £0.48 £3.15
kruger Call  £0.16 £0.64 £2.05
Flop

kruger Check     
LARSON7 Bet  £0.48 £1.12 £3.51
pkrwiz Call  £0.48 £1.60 £2.67
kruger Call  £0.48 £2.08 £1.57
Turn

kruger Check     
LARSON7 Check     
pkrwiz Check     
River

kruger Check     
LARSON7 Bet  £1.04 £3.12 £2.47
pkrwiz Fold     
kruger Fold     
LARSON7 Muck  

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I think 20p total pre is ok.

Flop is fine. I think if we're gonna check the turn then we should check the river too. If I was only gonna bet 1 of these streets it would be the turn cos there's still loads of draws they will pay for

By the river they've either missed so they just fold, or they've got there so you donate £1 to them. Granted this river doesn't complete anything except 89 but if they'd call with 7x on the river (unlikely) then they'd deffo call with it on the turn.
  • edited September 2013
    I'd raise a little bigger pre-flop, personally. I've come to make my standard open 3x but 5x after a single limper and +1x for every subsequent limper. Obviously that changes based on opponents' and their stacks but I find that's the best value route and gives a better chance of getting heads up to a flop. It also gives a bump to the value of c-bets. Personal preference I suppose but I definitely think there's more value to be had than 20p after three limpers and being OOP.

Anyway, no more nit-picking on that. I agree with Lambert about betting the turn. We should assume there's a weaker hand out there that can still call us.

If we're going to bet the river, I think we should bet quite a bit smaller. We're trying to tempt them to call with what should be a very weak range, after all. They've checked through on the turn and now one has checked the river. We want to make a bet that they can call with A6, A7, K6, etc. We don't want to make a bet that can only be called by better hands.

Of course, we need to ask whether the range of hands that check-calls even a small bet is a range we beat. I guess we know they're probably not that strong but the board is not great for weaker one pairs. Are these guys calling what would be a fairly obvious value bet with weaker hands?

The alternative to betting really small is to bet really big, merging your range. In other words, they think you'd only shove here with either a monster or a complete bluff and therefore call with their 77 or whatever to catch your bluffs. Then you show them your 99... I wouldn't try that against many micro-stakes players, though. There aren't many who don't play straightforward poker.