You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

4 of a kind

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This hand here, i quite like the call on the flop, trying to get the 3rd player to call or re-raise, unfortunatly he folds.

On the turn, i felt that the 3 better on the flop was strong, in saying that the 5 wasn't the best card to appear on the turn. I felt there was a good chance he had an over pair to the board, and was strong so bet the turn to get it in on the river and didn't want to give him a chance to check behind on the turn.

I think i've got this completely wrong, and that he did not have much at all.
LARSON7 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £8.51
Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.18
  Your hole cards

Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.68
bCall  £0.12 £0.30 £1.93
kruger Fold     
LARSON7 Call  £0.10 £0.40 £8.41
Call  £0.08 £0.48 £6.10
Flop

LARSON7 Check     
bBet  £0.12 £0.60 £5.98
Raise  £0.48 £1.08 £3.20
grano Fold     
LARSON7 Call  £0.48 £1.56 £7.93
bFold     
Turn

LARSON7 Bet  £0.78 £2.34 £7.15
Fold     
LARSON7 Muck     
LARSON7 Win  £1.44  £8.59
LARSON7 Return  £0.78 £0

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Yeah I flat flop too.

Leading the turn has 'blown your disguise' though, he's obviously either bluffing the flop or happy with his hand, either way we should check the turn and let him carry on.
  • edited September 2013
    Whatever you do on the flop is gonna give your hand away to some degree. Check/flat calling a bet and re-raise looks very strong. 

As played we should be checking the turn and potentially checking the river. Gave the game up by leading out on the turn.

This was possibly a good spot to donk lead on the flop. We have 3 potential customers. Leading out here keeps our hand strength under wraps. I know the mindset is 'omg I've flopped quads, how do I get paid? Let's check'. Worth throwing in a curveball every now and then though. 

FWIW, I also might ship the flop with quads after that action. Not the best board to do it, granted, but again it appears weaker than flatting. If villain has AA/KK then they pay you off, if they have AK you're unlikely to get more money from them anyway.
  • edited September 2013

I might lead the flop, too. Four-handed, can we really be confident that the pre-flop aggressor is going to bet? Also, when we check-call from this position on this board, we basically always have a hand. Sometimes it's a draw, often it's a pair, but it's never a bluff. When we bet, we can have a bluff. If the pre-flop raiser or anyone else has a pair, they're probably not just folding to our lead anyway... unless we've never done this without a big hand and they're aware of that.

I think I'd flat the flop raise. It does look like we have a hand but that doesn't mean they'll give us credit for a massive hand. It would be handy to have some idea of what we think the raise means or of what our image is. Do these guys even think about our range? Either way, they need a hand to call a shove from us but don't necessarily need a hand to keep betting later streets. When we check-3-bet there aren't may credible draws and do we do this with just, say 88?

It's true that whatever we do looks strong, after the bet and the raise, but we don't need to force the villains to fold draws or weak one-pairs. We probably get paid by those big overpairs on later streets either way and I don't think we can rule out them continuing to bluff with AK type hands.

I definitely don't see the logic behind leading the turn. Surely we called the flop to keep the villain's bluffs in the hand, so check and give him another opportunity to bet.

There is no 3-bet on the flop, btw. It goes bet, raise, call. A 3-bet is a re-raise.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 of a kind:
    I might lead the flop, too. Four-handed, can we really be confident that the pre-flop aggressor is going to bet? Also, when we check-call from this position on this board, we basically always have a hand. Sometimes it's a draw, often it's a pair, but it's never a bluff. When we bet, we can have a bluff. If the pre-flop raiser or anyone else has a pair, they're probably not just folding to our lead anyway... unless we've never done this without a big hand and they're aware of that. I think I'd flat the flop raise. It does look like we have a hand but that doesn't mean they'll give us credit for a massive hand. It would be handy to have some idea of what we think the raise means or of what our image is. Do these guys even think about our range? Either way, they need a hand to call a shove from us but don't necessarily need a hand to keep betting later streets. When we check-3-bet there aren't may credible draws and do we do this with just, say 88? It's true that whatever we do looks strong, after the bet and the raise, but we don't need to force the villains to fold draws or weak one-pairs. We probably get paid by those big overpairs on later streets either way and I don't think we can rule out them continuing to bluff with AK type hands. I definitely don't see the logic behind leading the turn. Surely we called the flop to keep the villain's bluffs in the hand, so check and give him another opportunity to bet. There is no 3-bet on the flop, btw. It goes bet, raise, call. A 3-bet is a re-raise.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Just the bolded part Mr BL. In my experience, AK or similar isn't putting another penny in this pot. I know you'll get your maniacs who don't understand board texture etc but even the average 4nl'er will be shutting down completely with A high to this action.

• edited September 2013
    I would tend to agree with Harry. If I have AK on a 5 4 4 flop, and there are three others in the hand, I'm throwing my cards away with that kind of resistance. You may still be good, but it's just not worth taking it down three streets to find out.

I'd probably be guilty of checking the flop, or perhaps putting out a small bet to try and induce a raise. Dunno. Hard to say... has been a long time since I flopped quads!
  • edited September 2013
    I would tend to agree with Harry. If I have AK on a 5 4 4 flop, and there are three others in the hand, I'm throwing my cards away with that kind of resistance. You may still be good, but it's just not worth taking it down three streets to find out. I'd probably be guilty of checking the flop, or perhaps putting out a small bet to try and induce a raise. Dunno. Hard to say... has been a long time since I flopped quads!
    Posted by Slipwater
    +1 to this. lol

My point isn't that we can expect someone holding AK to keep betting, only that we know they definitely fold if we shove the flop.

Most of the time they don't make the mistake of continuing but we don't need to rule that possibility out entirely by giving them an easy fold. Give them the chance to make the mistake.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 of a kind : +1 to this. lol My point isn't that we can expect someone holding AK to keep betting, only that we know they definitely fold if we shove the flop. Most of the time they don't make the mistake of continuing but we don't need to rule that possibility out entirely by giving them an easy fold. Give them the chance to make the mistake.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I think I (generally) rule out AK on the flop after the bet and raise. 
  • edited September 2013
    ...actually, having said that, and taking into account what Harry said before me, I do think there are a lot of players with AK who will call if we go all-in on that flop. I've seen it a lot on 10 and 20nl cash games (not so much in tournament play) if someone flops a set or a straight, etc. There are players who won't even bother looking at the board in any great detail - simply see three cards below their 'massive' AK and call off the rest of their stack. It's just a little bit odd.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 of a kind : I think I (generally) rule out AK on the flop after the bet and raise. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Really? I think the raise here is a fairly common response to a small donk-bet on a dry flop. Readless on the players it's a bit tough to say whether that's likely here, but there are quite a few players against whom I'd make this same raise, as their small-donk range is predictable and weak.

I don't think we should be ruling out AK, or any hand in the pre-flop raiser's range, at the point he makes the flop raise.
  • edited September 2013
    u have quads at nl4

why do anything else than c/c - shove river

• edited September 2013
    u have quads at nl4 why do anything else than c/c - shove river
    Posted by rancid
    I totally agree with this. Even more so action on the flop. With decent action somebody must have something (AK,AQ and mid pp and the 5). 

Up against aggresive opponents I am leading here small almost all the time but here after the action c/c to the river and depending on the run out c/shoving river.
  • edited September 2013
    u have quads at nl4 why do anything else than c/c - shove river
    Posted by rancid
    I don't suppose it matters that it is nl4 to be fair.

I didn't want to allow opponent to check behind on the turn. I felt he was pretty strong (over pair) to the board, clearly this was not the case, but went with my gut. It's akward if he checks the turn, betting turn allows me to ship the river.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 of a kind : I don't suppose it matters that it is nl4 to be fair. I didn't want to allow opponent to check behind on the turn. I felt he was pretty strong (over pair) to the board, clearly this was not the case, but went with my gut. It's akward if he checks the turn, betting turn allows me to ship the river.
    Posted by LARSON7
    If you cold call the flop, you have to check the turn. 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 of a kind : If you cold call the flop, you have to check the turn. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yeah, I think most are going to agree on this point.

Larson, having flatted the flop, we need to make our decision on the turn based upon what's likely from our opponent's range. So if we think our opponent has a decent overpair, we should give him the chance to value bet the turn. If he was bluff-raising on the flop, we need to give him another chance to bluff. We need to be checking the turn to him either way.

The problem with leading out is, while we probably still get value from our opponent's overpairs, we definitely get him to fold all of his bluffs. That makes it a less +EV play than checking because we're excluding a part of his range from paying us that we don't need to exclude. It's also possible that we give our opponent a chance to fold some of his overpairs. Admittedly there aren't many micro-stakes players that would fold their overpairs here, but we give them that opportunity because we're repping a 4 or 5.

If we check and he checks back, we need to think about what that means for his range. It probably means that he's not very strong. That means that he likely couldn't have called two streets of betting from us anyway, and at least we gave him the chance to bet. Now we can value bet the river and see if he'll pay us off. It's highly unlikely that he's playing a draw and taking a free card, as he's the pre-flop raiser and there aren't that many drawing hands in his range. Since it's a double-paired board, he's unlikely to want to call with his draws anyway.

So we don't want to be making our decision out of fear of him checking back. Just make the decision that exploits his range best. The plan for flatting the flop was to keep his weaker hands in, so keep his weaker hands in on the turn by checking.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 of a kind : I don't suppose it matters that it is nl4 to be fair. I didn't want to allow opponent to check behind on the turn. I felt he was pretty strong (over pair) to the board, clearly this was not the case, but went with my gut. It's akward if he checks the turn, betting turn allows me to ship the river.
    Posted by LARSON7

vill has raised flop and you flat, why on earth would you donk that turn card

why do you think vill is not going to bet turn with all value/bluff combos

and yes the level matters because it should alter your play