You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I came up against this tonight, it's quite a nitty fold 5 handed at a FT.

I was always wondering afterwards if it was the correct fold or not, at the time i was confident it was, now i'm not so sure.

The reason i folded was the vilain would min raise (espec blind on blind) and always folded to a shove.

With strong hands he was 4xing, 2 hands that were shown were 9s and AK. When vilain makes this big raise here (bigger than his normal raise for a strong hand) i was thinking at best i was flipping but more than likely he had Jacks or better.
LARSON7 Small blind  800.00 800.00 32942.50
leigha1981 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 93416.25
  Your hole cards

woody207 Fold     
welldodgy Fold     
Raise  8000.00 10400.00 23367.50
LARSON7 Fold

Comments

• edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    Im almost always shoving here rightly or wrongly.
  • edited September 2013
    Solid logic for folding but......I think my chips go in here. 

But I'm on a large downswing, so do the opposite of me and you'll be fine :)
  • edited September 2013
    Even with this happening 30 seconds ago I still shove.
    LJ2000 Small blind   40.00 40.00 3450.00
    gazza127 Big blind   80.00 120.00 1575.00
      Your hole cards

THEDIVE Call   80.00 200.00 1920.00
    CHAFFED955 Fold        
    Bubsy9Star Call   80.00 280.00 2200.00
    INTERESTING
    Raise   320.00 600.00 2730.00
    LJ2000 Fold        
    gazza127 All-in   1575.00 2175.00 0.00
    THEDIVE Fold        
    Bubsy9Star Fold        
      Call   1335.00 3510.00 1395.00
    gazza127 Show

OHGOOD
    Show

Flop

Turn

• J

River

MEHHHH
    Win Three 4s 3510.00   4905.00
  • edited September 2013
    5 x raise is huge i think its a gd fold tbh 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed:
    Solid logic for folding but......I think my chips go in here.  But I'm on a large downswing, so do the opposite of me and you'll be fine :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    This
    Is
    A
    Big
    Lieeeeeee

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : This Is A Big Lieeeeeee
    Posted by gazza127
    Yes it is. Don't you just want to kick him? ;)

Larson, the pre-flop raise size probably indicates only that the villain doesn't want to play a flop. That makes his likely range pairs and AK, AQ type hands. I don't know how many of those pairs are lower pairs...

If you had specific reads that this only ever means AK, AQ or 99+ then this is a good fold. Does he really make this sizing with AA, KK, or QQ, though? You say he'd shown 99 and AK in situations like this, but that doesn't mean he's playing the big pairs the same way. 

You went with your read, which is good. I'd be more critical of you if you'd said "I knew this raise always meant strength from this opponent, but I have TT. I have to go with it, right?"

Player specific decisions are better than hand specific decisions. I don't think I'd fold here based just on this history, though. I'd just think it's so unlikely that he plays 99 and AA, KK or QQ in exactly the same way. Also, if he can be doing this with 99, then can he not do it with 88, 77, 66, etc. too?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : This Is A Big Lieeeeeee
    Posted by gazza127
    Oi! I've bricked about £400s worth of tournaments in less than 2 weeks. Plus a few bits and pieces on other sites. This constitutes a large downswing for me :(
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : Oi! I've bricked about £400s worth of tournaments in less than 2 weeks. Plus a few bits and pieces on other sites. This constitutes a large downswing for me :(
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    OK Mr 'top 25 profit leaderboard for sky network for 2013' Man.

;)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : Yes it is. Don't you just want to kick him? ;) Larson, the pre-flop raise size probably indicates only that the villain doesn't want to play a flop. That makes his likely range pairs and AK, AQ type hands. I don't know how many of those pairs are lower pairs... If you had specific reads that this only ever means AK, AQ or 99+ then this is a good fold. Does he really make this sizing with AA, KK, or QQ, though? You say he'd shown 99 and AK in situations like this, but that doesn't mean he's playing the big pairs the same way.  You went with your read, which is good. I'd be more critical of you if you'd said "I knew this raise always meant strength from this opponent, but I have TT. I have to go with it, right?" Player specific decisions are better than hand specific decisions. I don't think I'd fold here based just on this history, though. I'd just think it's so unlikely that he plays 99 and AA, KK or QQ in exactly the same way. Also, if he can be doing this with 99, then can he not do it with 88, 77, 66, etc. too?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I said with these hands he had 4xed. If he had 4xed i shove, if he shoved i probably call.

The only thing that concerned me was maybe he was over betting (a lesser pair/ weaker hand) as you said because he didn't want a call.

In saying that looking back at it this morning i think it's the right fold. The guy was pretty transparent with his betting, which is a bit of a shame. I feel my read is right he had a monster here.

99s would be an easy fold. Jacks i wouldn't be loving it, but i'd shove. 10's was right on the margin.

If i felt it was a flip, my money would be going right in the middle.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : Oi! I've bricked about £400s worth of tournaments in less than 2 weeks. Plus a few bits and pieces on other sites. This constitutes a large downswing for me :(
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Mr i've not won a main in 5 days, i'm on a massive downswing lol
  • edited September 2013
    5 x raise is huge i think its a gd fold tbh 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yes, it is huge, but folding?
    I would love to know what your calling range is then for a 5x raise?
    I think it's been pointed out already,  he is unlikely to be doing this with QQ+
    All in and hold against under pairs and something like KQ,KJ is my play.

10's is pretty big five handed.
  • edited September 2013
    The fact it's 5 handed and he's raised the button would sway me towards jamming. If 1010 is beat here in this spot its just very unlucky.
  • edited September 2013
    The fact it's 5 handed and he's raised the button would sway me towards jamming. If 1010 is beat here in this spot its just very unlucky.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Yep, obv shoving, not calling.
    What I meant in previous post was that we were essentially calling a shove from the 5x guy as the money was all going in.
    I didn't put it very well. 

^^^^^^^^^^
    That hardly makes sense either, sigh
    Long day at work

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : Yep, obv shoving, not calling. What I meant in previous post was that we were essentially calling a shove from the 5x guy as the money was all going in. I didn't put it very well.  ^^^^^^^^^^ That hardly makes sense either, sigh Long day at work
    Posted by Jac35
    Don't worry sir, I understand :)

• edited September 2013
    It's interesting that you think JJ is a call, Larson.

I don't have a problem with the fold if you think he's making his hand range transparent as overpairs or AK. Going with your read is fine. I just wonder why you think JJ plays so much better than TT against that range. What do you think the bottom of his range for the 5x is, especially if we know 4x was 99?

Are we that sure that he has a consistent betting pattern? If he's 4x'ing or 5x'ing some of the time, are we sure it's so clear as to say "He made it 4x with 99, so 5x can't be 99"? Might he just be clicking buttons?

Some will say it's a nitty fold but if you have those specific, reliable reads it should simply be considered a good fold.
  • edited September 2013

A bit later blinds at 1-2k, opponent 4 xed to 8k, i shoved AQ, he had pocket 10s, and went onto to win the flip.

• edited September 2013
    A bit later blinds at 1-2k, opponent 4 xed to 8k, i shoved AQ, he had pocket 10s, and went onto to win the flip.
    Posted by LARSON7

Isn't 1010 better than AQ?  Surely if youre shoving AQ you've got to be shoving 1010 in the same situation...
  • edited September 2013

"With strong hands he was 4xing, 2 hands that were shown were 9s and AK"

Don't think a fold can be criticised here.

Give him top 5% of hands & we're in bad shape w/ no fold equity.

equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 42.989% 41.98% 01.01% 254434368 6145524.00 { TT }Hand 1: 57.011% 56.00% 01.01% 339430200 6145524.00 { 99+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Should have a decent edge & 20xbb without antes is vvv playable.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding 10s pre, FT, 5 handed : Isn't 1010 better than AQ?  Surely if youre shoving AQ you've got to be shoving 1010 in the same situation...
    Posted by gazza127
    Not really he 4xed, so I was pretty confident I was flipping this time.

It's also 4 handed by this point and I have 15 bigs totally standard ship and just unlucky I lose the flip, if I win this flip, i'm prob favourite to win the tournie.