You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In the words of Foo Fighters....this is a call?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
gibbzySmall blind 300.00300.008215.00hhyftrftdrBig blind 600.00900.008625.00 Your hole cards99   jonnyrkdFold    skully644All-in 3180.004080.000.00gibbzyAll-in 8215.0012295.000.00
£12 Roller direct. £55 for 2nd. Discuss.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Well, the re-shover should actually need to have a big hand to put their stack at risk here after the shorty's gone for it.

Whether you think he knows that, I dunno. Essentially we're pretty unlikely to be ahead against his range anyway, and we're looking to flip against him. I think we should be folding.

It probably depends a lot on how well we think the other guys understand ICM whether we ever want to be calling off our stack at this stage with anything short of AA/KK.
  • edited September 2013
    Also, I don't know that song.
  • edited September 2013
    £55 for 2nd, and these 4 people are the only ones left?

If so it would be nice to know Jonny's stack.

I really dunno what to do, think it must be close either way.
  • edited September 2013
    3 left? Easy fold.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: In the words of Foo Fighters....this is a call?:
    3 left? Easy fold.
    Posted by LARSON7
    There's 4 names in the HH lol.

That's why I asked if there was 4 left or maybe 8 left on 2 4handed tables or somethin.
  • edited September 2013

Gut feel was fold and wait for better spot.

...but then again, initial shover could have any 2 cards so likely you are ahead

I would put SB on Ax or small pair - thinks they are good v shorty but doesn't really want a call from BB.

A call starts to look attractive especially when the win gets us a guarantee of £55.

However 2 overcards and TT,JJ,QQ have to be possible holdings and given stack sizes SB might just hit all in with AK AA KK anyhow.

Agree with Lambert, would be good to factor the stack of Jonny and whether we would be dominating HU.

My decision would have to based on how the table and individuals had been playing the last few rounds to help with likely ranges of the 2 villains and also help understand the likelihood of taking chips ourselves with open shoves without risking our tourney.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to In the words of Foo Fighters....this is a call?:
    gibbzy Small blind   300.00 300.00 8215.00 hhyftrftdr Big blind   600.00 900.00 8625.00   Your hole cards 9 9       jonnyrkd Fold         skully644 All-in   3180.00 4080.00 0.00 gibbzy All-in   8215.00 12295.00 0.00 £12 Roller direct. £55 for 2nd. Discuss.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    well you advised me to fold on my 99 hand, as there are 2 shoves here I would fold. (believe it or not) haha
  • edited September 2013
    ffs foo - it's a fold (ICM & alll that as discussed by borin)

• edited September 2013
    Well, the re-shover should actually need to have a big hand to put their stack at risk here after the shorty's gone for it. Posted by BorinLoner
    Not sure I follow the logic there as shorty is in an unopened pot, on button with 5 bigs. Unless shorty has got themselves short by folding preflop for the last 5 rounds of the table I don't give them credit for any hand at all.

Granted if we assume shorty has a hand and SB a much bigger one than shorty it is an easy fold.

If we are making a mathematical decision based on ICM then we need to know Jonnys stack size to make the calculation. Plus what evidence do we have of SBs capacity for decision making in this spot? Can't really just say if SB is playing ICM then he must be huge to call. I would be looking for other evidence of SBs shoving range based on observation or notes.

Not saying I disagree with the decision, my gut feel would be fold and the arguments tempting me to the call button probably wouldn't come quick enough or strong enough to make me change my mind before a timeout.

• edited September 2013

Think I call.

As we're readless, I'll assume a good/(optimal?) range for gibbzy, something I'd be shoving myself in this spot.

So K8s+ KTo+ all Ax's suited or otherwise, all PP's.

Yep, just talked myself into it being a very easy call.
  • edited September 2013

60% v  { 33+, A2s+, K8s+, QJs, A2o+, KTo+, QJo }

Take out some weaker stuff if gibbzy is re-shoving too tight....

56% v { 33+,A7s+,K9s+,QJs,A7o+,KJo+,QJo }

Reallyyyyy tight range (coz it is sky) .........

53% v    { 66+, A8s+, KJs+, QJs, A8o+, KQo }

• edited September 2013
    Can't remember exact stack size, but pretty sure johnnyrkd is a similar stack to ourselves. And just to clarify, it's the final 4.
  • edited September 2013
    I make Johnnyrkd on circa 9k (15 entries, 1 seat gtd plus £55 for 2nd = 30,000 chips in play. Myself and Gibbzy account for 17k ish, shorty is just over 3k so JRK makes up the rest which is 9 ish I think)

I've had a few shandies so I could be well out.
  • edited September 2013
    This is a question of ICM and Bubble Factor, that which profman is so fond of. lol

Basically at any stage of a tournament, our chips are more valuable than the chips in the middle. As we approach the bubble that difference increases. This is particularly dramatic in satellites with multiple seats but it's true of all tournament play. That's the reason why we sometimes should be folding AA to a shove on the bubble, because our chips may be ten or more times as valuable as the chips in the middle.

That means that at this stage, in order to risk around 40% of his stack and potentially all of it if someone behind has a hand, gibbzy should need a reasonably big hand. The value of the chips in his stack is much greater than the value of the chips in the middle. He'd also want to maintain his fold equity rather than risk getting in that 40% of his stack with some junky Ace or King.

Whether gibbzy knows that, I dunno.

Since there's only one seat here with half as much for second and we're not on the pure bubble, the bubble factor isn't going to be massively high, but even if it's only 1.5, then we need equity of 60% to make the call here. I expect it's actually significantly higher against a player who can effectively stack us.

By the way, I've no idea how to actually work out the bubble factor from the ICM without getting it from a book. I don't think I can be bothered to do that.

Bottom line is we only have pot odds of 40% for the main+side pots here and, while it may be a +cEV call against a loose range, I don't think a) we should be giving gibbzy a loose range if he knows what he's doing or b) a +cEV call is going to be a +EV call in ICM terms.

DOHHHHHHH I'd have to say that I don't think what you're calling an optimal range for gibbzy's shove is anywhere close. Even if it is, our optimal calling range needs to be much, much tighter.

I have to admit that bubble factor isn't something I've ever gone too deeply into. But the basic fact is that chips in our stack are always more valuable than chips in the middle in tournaments and that is exaggerated as we approach the bubble. Even if we have better than 40% equity for both the pots here, I don't think it's a call.
  • edited September 2013
    I must have some huggggeeeeeeeeeeemongoooooseeeee leaks if this is a fold. And an easy fold also.

As I think it's an easy call.

I mean It looks like I couldn't be more wrong if I tried!

Call, 60% of the time we're gna be HU w/ 2-1 chiplead for a seat, & gtd £55.

How can you turn that down :(
  • edited September 2013
    A few weeks ago, I might well have agreed that it could be a call. I think I would have still said fold, but having read up a bit I've been convinced that it's more clear cut.

I will go away and have another read of the relevant chapters of this book, as I may have got it wrong. The fact that being first in is better than being the caller is obvious. The idea that our chips are more valuable than the ones in the middle is a little less so. Putting a numerical value on that difference is a very tricky thing to get your head around and I may be way off...

Ultimately, if we think gibbzy is overshoving too wide we may have significantly more than 40% equity. I just don't see too many people isolating here with anywhere close to A2 or K8 and I don't think that's a good idea.

The one thing I am sure of is that we definitely need considerably more than 40% equity against gibbzy to call. I just don't know how much more.

I'll do some swotting up and see if I've got the right idea of things.
  • edited September 2013
    I play a lot against gibbzy - mostly on the cash tables - and he will likely be shoving there with a lot worse hands than AA or KK, as suggested.

Having said that, I still think the 9s is a fairly easy fold.
  • edited September 2013
    I play a lot against gibbzy - mostly on the cash tables - and he will likely be shoving there with a lot worse hands than AA or KK, as suggested. Having said that, I still think the 9s is a fairly easy fold.
    Posted by Slipwater
    When I say "reasonably strong" I'm not talking about quite that narrow a range, lol.
  • edited September 2013
    I must have some huggggeeeeeeeeeeemongoooooseeeee leaks if this is a fold. And an easy fold also. As I think it's an easy call. I mean It looks like I couldn't be more wrong if I tried! Call, 60% of the time we're gna be HU w/ 2-1 chiplead for a seat, & gtd £55. How can you turn that down :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If the 2nd seat was getting more cash i think it still is an easy fold. i would still fold here but the one thing in your favour is that the majority of the value is in the win and so increases the incentive to take a chance to position yourself for it. however i would expect to be racing at best if the reshover knows his icm
  • edited September 2013

Geldy, I'd argue that this is a great opportunity for a re-shover to jam his full range that he feels is sufficient to get it in v the shorty to exploit our tight calling range behind.

He is against a 5xbb button shover, who has to be realllyyyyyy wide & there is a lot of dead money in already with the size of the blinds.

If he knows we have to fold hands as strong as 9s, then why can't he be vvvv wide himself here, knowing he's getting called behind almost never?

What would your range be here in gibbzys spot?

I think K8s+ KTo+ all Ax's suited or otherwise, all PP's is very reasonable given how infrequently he's going to be getting looked up behind.

• edited September 2013
    Geldy, I'd argue that this is a great opportunity for a re-shover to jam his full range that he feels is sufficient to get it in v the shorty to exploit our tight calling range behind. He is against a 5xbb button shover, who has to be realllyyyyyy wide & there is a lot of dead money in already with the size of the blinds. If he knows we have to fold hands as strong as 9s, then why can't he be vvvv wide himself here, knowing he's getting called behind almost never? What would your range be here in gibbzys spot? I think K8s+ KTo+ all Ax's suited or otherwise, all PP's is very reasonable given how infrequently he's going to be getting looked up behind.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    good argument
    but I would be a lot tighter than that with two to act behind me
    my leak maybe
  • edited September 2013
    slightly circular argument though
    because he knows we fold 99 he can be wide so we can call with 99 so he has to be tighter etc etc
    reads on shoving ranges would clearly help
  • edited September 2013
    snap fold against 1 easy call sats u play completlt differ to mtts  

its best for u to do the shoving with any hand then to call here u can easily pick better spots n lock ya seat easy fold for me 
  • edited September 2013
    Not a normal sat is it donk.

In this kind of sat the prizepool is more top heavy than a normal sat.

Survival isn't rly an issue, we want to top prize.

Still like my call. Even though every opinon (on and off forum) seems to hate it :(
  • edited September 2013
    4 players left and ya only just 3rd would u call here in a dym at this stage u play like a dym top 2 pay 

u would never call here in a dym when a shove and guy reshoves it a easy fold if u call here gtd ya beat
  • edited September 2013
    its a utg +1  shove  granted hes bb soon so could be doing it with any 2 

but its still a utg + 1 all in so for gibbzy to reshove here i think hes gotta have 99 beat flipping at best my best saying ;)
  • edited September 2013
    UTG and UTG+1  ???

They're 4handed, it's actually BTN v SB

Guy has 5xBB on the BTN, is the shortest stack and is about to be forced to put 20% of his stack in on the next hand if he folds, he is gonna be ridic wide. If you're not shoving wide on the BTN with 5 BB unopened, then there's something wrong.

Because he's ridic wide, SB can widen up his value range knowing he's so rarely ever gonna get called behind.
  • edited September 2013
    My gut reaction was a fold - although I did also believe a call was possible.

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards a call

I would take a coin flip with SB if the cards were face up here. I believe there are more hands out there that you are better than a coin flip against than there are worse off that reshover could realistic have (unless they are uber uber tight) which you would hopefully have good idea of at that stage of the tourney.

You are being offered a coin flip or better for a guaranteed £55 and to become a huge favourite to take the seat.

So I'll give Doh some backing on this call unless I see some maths to prove otherwise. Trouble is the call or fold arguement is weighted by assumptions on SB shovers range.

Perhaps this will be an interesting hand for the next live show?

• edited September 2013
    Been away at DTD this weekend so I'm sure you've all been waiting for the result...

I folded 99. Shortie had Q8, Villain had AJ, and the board ran out 7 high.

Pretty pleased with the varied answers so cheers for all the responses. Feel like I'm making poor decisions at the moment, and this was one I was very unsure about. Seems like it's marginal either way.  

And yes, I busted in 3rd for zilch. But we can't be results orientated ;)
  • edited September 2013
    Ul Joe, you'll get em the next time.