You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM bubble - Call or Fold

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic

ASmall blind 200.00200.003975.00dragon1964Big blind 400.00600.001720.00 Your hole cardsAA   BFold    CAll-in 3235.003835.000.00ACall 3035.006870.00940.00dragon1964????    
I was the shortie.
Should I fold and hope the other shortest loses or should I call and risk it against 2 villains

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Fold!

You cannot knock anyone out if you win the hand.

Fact is fold and you either win there or then or you are left with just under x2 chips of the new short stack.

The only thing you should be worrying about is a chopped pot.
  • edited September 2013
    I never fold aces pre.

Never.

Ever.

Ever.

Maybe thats why im rubbish at DYMs though.

I can see the logic for a fold.  But i wouldnt want to fold and then still end up bubbling and look back at this hand for the reason.

Meh.  I call and try to treble up for a guarenteed cash.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM bubble - Call or Fold:
    Fold! You cannot knock anyone out if you win the hand. Fact is fold and you either win there or then or you are left with just under x2 chips of the new short stack. The only thing you should be worrying about is a chopped pot.
    Posted by Phantom66
    This.
  • edited September 2013
    I never fold aces pre. Never. Ever. Ever. Maybe thats why im rubbish at DYMs though. I can see the logic for a fold.  But i wouldnt want to fold and then still end up bubbling and look back at this hand for the reason. Meh.  I call and try to treble up for a guarenteed cash.
    Posted by gazza127
    +1
  • edited September 2013
    I never fold aces pre. Never. Ever. Ever. Maybe thats why im rubbish at DYMs though. I can see the logic for a fold.  But i wouldnt want to fold and then still end up bubbling and look back at this hand for the reason. Meh.  I call and try to treble up for a guarenteed cash.
    Posted by gazza127
    That's exactly why I hate DYMs and prefer straight STTs with the reward for playing to win and not clinging on for survival. You have to do horrible things like fold AA.

• edited September 2013
    Your the shorty, im folding all day long ere
  • edited September 2013
     Against 2 players you are rarely better than 65% favourite even with AA

So if you call...

35% of the time you are busted and lose there and then

65% of the time you treble up and probably get the cash but even then not a guarantee

If you fold...

50% of the time you cash there and then

50% of the time you are now on 1720 chips with a new shorty on 940 when blinds are 200/400

We are 2:1 ish v new shorty probably better as after our SB next hand they will have to negotiate the blinds.

If the wrong player wins this hand you are still in pretty much the same position odds wise as you would have been if you called with AA on this hand. If the right player wins (50% of the time!) you cash.
  • edited September 2013
    Chip stack dynamics dictate quite clearly this is a fold, and not only that, an easy one. Your on the bubble and the tournament is over when one more person goes out (probably this hand), you dont need to win all the chips to win your prize. Fold.
  • edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    Easy fold
    Posted by Lambert180

yep
  • edited September 2013
    What happens if we call and go out to the bigger stack but we would have won against the shorter stack? Does the shorter stack still get 3rd place as he had more chips?
  • edited September 2013
    What happens if we call and go out to the bigger stack but we would have won against the shorter stack? Does the shorter stack still get 3rd place as he had more chips?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yes

If we call and 2 people get knocked out, we'll be classed as 4th cos we had less chips.
  • edited September 2013
    If you fold...

50% of the time you cash there and then

50% of the time you are now on 1720 chips with a new shorty on 940 when blinds are 200/400

We are 2:1 ish v new shorty probably better as after our SB next hand they will have to negotiate the blinds.

+1

Unfortunately, I didn't work this out in time. Even just looking at the remaining stack (940) if the wrong villain won would have convinced me to fold.
    I must concentrate more.

I called. Big stack had AK, other had KQ
    Flop JQ8
    Q

So smaller stack had trip Queens
    But big stack had straight and knocked us both out.

If I fold, I cash

Lesson learnt