You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad calls?

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat

I just want to make a point about these “bad calls” people complain about so often.  

If we call (AIP) with, say, 9-10 suited, & find ourselves up against A-K suited, our 9-10 will win nearly 4 times in 10.  

4 in 10 is quite a significant number.

Many folks would happily gamble on a 40% shot winning. They’d be right, too, 4 times every 10. 

It does not work in a straight line though, the 9-10 could win 8 times in 10, or 80 times in a hundred – the 40% figure needs to be calculated over thousands of hands.  

But we know that in the long run, 9-10 man will lose all of his money. And A-K man – or Lady – will get very rich indeed.  

We just have to look at “bad calls” in a wider context.  

Yes, it’s pretty frustrating to lose 4 times in 10 when we get it in good. Winning 6 times in 10 is not so bad though…… When the 6 in 10 shots hold up above expectation, these are our winning nights.

Poker really can have the Marmite factor.  

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In a DYM yesterday, was the shorty.
    Dealt KQ OTB
    Action folded to me , i shipped , BB (big stack) called with 6 10 os and spiked a 6.
    I wasn't unhappy with that hand even tho i busted.
    I was more unhappy with my play in previous hands that led me to become the shorty in the first place.
  • edited September 2013
    I don't like bad calls... because it's usually me that's making them.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad calls?:
    I don't like bad calls... because it's usually me that's making them.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Haha - yeah, I can second that... (that I make them, I mean, not you).
  • edited September 2013
    I got myself into rather a silly position last night playing HU cash.  As you can imagine HU is rather aggressive and there was a bit of history between me and the oppo.  I had 78s in the BB and 3 bet his raise.  He then 4 bet my 3 bet as he had done on a fair few occassions.... so naturally instead of folding (im stubborn) I 5 bet his 4 bet.  He then stuck in his stack.  

'B*ll*cks' I thought.  I had backed myself into a corner... however the pot was so big now and I had so little behind that I was priced in to call against all of his range.... so I did.

Naturally he had AK... and no I didn't spike the 7 or 8 and yes I did lose the pot.  However what some people don't realise is when there is a lot of money in the pot or when you are shortstacked people are priced in to call a much wider range - this is the same on all streets.  If the pot is huge and they are getting the right odds to hit their flush/straight on the river then they will call.  In my case if I know my opponent has AK there everytime as opposed to aces its a snap call after the 6 bet shove.

I feel that in a lot of instances (admittidly not all) when people complain of bad beats its because they don't understand the fundamentals of poker.  A lot of it is maths.  Yes long term I lose 78 v AK.... however if I fold after the 6 bet shove everytime I lose even more.

Although the real moral of the story is not to 5 bet 78s.

• edited September 2013

Bad Calls?

Sigh, not another one of them threads having a pop at customer services.

Or in the words of J P McEnore......

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MAN!!!

Anyway....thought we did happy w/end threads on a Friday??
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad calls?:
    ...Although the real moral of the story is not to 5 bet 78s... When villain has AK
    Posted by gazza127
    :)
  • edited September 2013
    Its great when they moan in the chat box 'how can he call, the fish!'.

You cant control other peoples actions, just make sure you keep making the correct decisions and hey presto we win over time.

Always makes me smile.