You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tourrnament Play BB

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Where in a tournament do you switch from betting 3BB or 2.5BB to just 2BB? Having played for a few years now I have seen players not switch at all, or switch at as low as 50 chips in BB in a 2000ss tour. Personally I probably do it at around 100/150 for the BB. Thoughts?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I would say there is no specific time to switch your raise sizing, it all depends on position and the table dynamics, if u have 5 fish on your table and u have a big value hand y not go big if u know you r going to get called by weak hands by multiple oppenonents ! 
  • edited September 2013
    mid to late stages early on  i think 3 x is fine  but from 200/400 300/600 in raise is fine as it gets same job done and ya flop bets are smaller saves u chips 
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks guys yeah I spose its each to their own and table dynamics, stack sizes etc all come into play.

Its just when you here experts commentating on this you hear things like  "haa they have only min raised here that looks super strong" I sometimes think that looks exactly the opposite to me lol. If its a 3bet then maybe but the question is aimed at opening plays only.
  • edited September 2013
    It's nothing to do with a set stage really, it's to do with depth of stacks.

If the blinds are 5,000/10,000 but everyone still has 100xBB then so what, we shouldn't be minraising just cos the blinds are big, you should still be 3x'ing.

Likewise if it's only 25/50 but everyone only has 40xBB, then it's fine to minraise imo.

It's all about giving us more play, being able to blind steal more without it hurting our stack as much, making our cbets smaller so it doesn't hurt our stack so much, being able to run bluffs that don't HAVE to mean playing for our stack etc. If minraising means people call with a weaker range, that's good.
  • edited September 2013
    Position matters a lot as well. Any more than 25bbs effective stack size and I might very well make it 2.5 or 3bb with my entire range in early position because I don't want to invite BTN coming along with speculative hands. But if I'm on the BTN myself and it's folded to me then I will very often just 2x no matter how many BBs I have. I'll only go bigger in this situation if I know it won't change villains calling range and we're relatively deep.