You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What now?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Ok.... Now I know I'm going to get a lot of people say 'why play the hand?'  'Why are you calling a 3 bet OOP'.

Villain had been 3 betting almost every single one of my raises.  Yes I could 4 bet.... but really I know what flop im looking for with 64s.  Flush or the straight or possible two pair... im not getting sucked in by a single pair so I don't think theres much wrong with calling pre.

Anyway - no comments on that please as thats not what I want advice on.

I raise the flop into my draw and hit on the turn.... then the river brings the 4th spade.

What now?  I've repped a monster.  Do I barrel again?  Do I Check/Fold knowing that villain could easily bluff me off the pot?

Notes on villain include - Cant seem to fold a PP unless an Ace comes out.  Will peel an extra card for a draw with dirty outs.  Will call worse on the river. 
oldbelter Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £83.04
paddy1988 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £57.59
  Your hole cards

gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £153.80
Ludacris Fold        
Villain Raise   £5.00 £7.25 £117.55
hhamza162 Fold        
oldbelter Fold        
paddy1988 Fold        
gazza127 Call   £3.50 £10.75 £150.30
Flop

• Q

gazza127 Check        
Villain Bet   £8.06 £18.81 £109.49
gazza127 Raise   £21.50 £40.31 £128.80
Villain Call   £13.44 £53.75 £96.05
Turn

gazza127 Bet   £29.50 £83.25 £99.30
Villain Call   £29.50 £112.75 £66.55
River

gazza127 ???

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Pre-flop I think we're deep enough to peel a hand like this. As long as we're going to play our draws aggressively (which you did) against an active 3-better, I can get behind that. Obviously OOP makes life much harder but you know all that.

Is the villain's 3/4 pot flop sizing standard from him? Does it tell us anything?

On the river I don't think we're value-betting if we bet unless we think he's going to hero us with an 8 or Queen a lot. That seems unlikely. How many weak'ish spades does he call the turn with intending to fold to a river bet? Not many, you'd think, so a bluff probably accomplishes nothing.

So it's probably a spot to check-call or check-fold and it looks like a check-fold spot to me. We have to think he's either floating the flop and turn, just to rep a big spade on the river, or that he's turning his made hand into a bluff a lot of the time to check-call.

It would be nice of him to check back and it depends on the size of his bet whether we beat enough of his range or not to bluff-catch. Looks a check-fold spot to me, though.