You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

*** DTM’s Big Breathtaking Challenge ***

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat

Hello the Sky Community, before i start saying what the challenge is (warning that this is quite a long read), I want to give you my background into poker. Before I was 18, i was fascinated by the people who were making millions playing cards. I started playing poker not for real money but the virtual tournaments. I played them nearly everyday hoping to get better till I was legally allowed to gamble. Back in the day I must of been on a massive upswing on virtual poker or something because I was getting to 4th place or more out of 200 - 300 people in nearly every tournament i played. I thought that this was reality in real money poker, that I could win every single tournament and with the GTD’s of some tournaments that I would be in the money. So when I turn 18, I make a deposit on a poker site, playing MTT’s was what I was doing, at the beginning I made a loss but then I more than made up for that winning a tournament for $568 with in a week. I straight away I withdrew the money as it is a lot of money. After that I had deposited on sky poker playing DYM games, at the beginning I made £50 with in 2 days and then went on a downswing. I went just into the negative and it took me sometime to get back in profit due the nature of DYM games. I then withdrew about £20 which was my original deposit and then went on a downswing/spewed the money my account. Although my account of sharkscope shows that i’m in the red, it’s really just break even due to the bonus’s that I gathered during my time on the site. From then I have just been playing casually where I topped my biggest cash during my first week of play. However I have also played cash games and is where I want to vastly improve my game as out of all the 3 formats in poker (SNG, MTT & Cash), the best one in my opinion to be the best at, is cash due to their being no profit ceiling. With my style at cash game where the most volume I put in was 1.1k hands at 10nl, I was pleased to come out of it with a profit at 8bb/100 and somehow I was all able to achieve this with my short 5 month career of playing poker.

Not trying to give out to much about my game but I would like to share some bell curves and analysis of my 10nl game when it was my regular game

This shows the Looseness of my game. Although this looks that that I may be very tight, PTR tells me that I am 19% more loose than the 10nl 6 max population. I want to keep it this way as I believe that having a loose image will get you paid at the table a lot more, if you give action more than that TAG’s at the table.

One bell curve shows my aggression and the other one is showdown frequency. Surprisingly although I am 79% more aggressive than the average player I am getting to showdown more than 96% of the average players shown underneath. Therefore this may be due to table image with villain’s not wanting to fold against my barrels. This may be a leak in my game bringing down my winning rate, I believe this may be the case as with such a high showdown frequency as I do, it is rare to have a winning rate.

Now finally to my challenge. I will be splitting it up into three sections. These are the ‘Cash fund’, ‘SNG fund’ and the ‘Tourney fund’. The reason that I want to keep this diary/blog is that I want to be able to build a bankroll without having to withdraw my winnings due to fear of it being lost. I will be depositing £1500 and will be split accordingly. £1000 will be in the cash game fund to play the 10nl level. I like to be bankrolled properly when playing poker so you can make decisions without playing with ‘scared money’. Therefore at the beginning it will be 100 buy in’s but after I will be moving up when i have between 70 - 80 buy in’s as you should always beat a level before moving up. I want to spend a considerable amount of time on cash games and therefore gets the majority of the money. The SNG fund will have £250 for it, and it will be mostly used to be playing DYM’s as it’s really the only SNG that properly runs regularly on this site. As the variance is lower on DYM’s I will be playing the £3.30 + £5.50 level due to the reasonable rake and that 50 buy in’s is enough for this type of SNG. Finally my favourite but highest variance type of poker which is tournaments. I am only giving it £250 to use for MTT’s with the highest buy in being around the £2.50 mark. This will account for variance and I have only given it a small portion of the whole fund is that I believe with a bit of luck will grow the fastest. I am not going to set any targets for where I want to reach as I believe can have a detrimental affect if you set your targets to high. If you’ve made it this far than thank you for reading and hope to update you all soon on the challenge as soon as i play.

The Start:

Cash BR: £1000

SNG BR: £250

MTT BR: £250

Let the games begin...

Comments

• edited September 2013
    There's only 1 DTM ;) Thought this was a diary of his when I saw title.

GL anyway
  • edited September 2013
    Hi DTM04, yes it was a long read, but a good read.

Your enthusiasm for the game and your challenge, comes across in oodles which is great to read.

Just out of interest, I take it you are still 18, is this to be a 'full time' challenge, or are you also studying and or working?

You will receive some excellent advice on your poker from people on here, I would just suggest that you remember to keep poker as part of a balanced 'life diet', that way you should maintain the enthusiasm longer and hopefully the ability to go on improving.

Of course if you get off to a winning start, make hay while the sun shines! :)
  • edited September 2013
    Good luck DTM,

Out of interest what does 8bb/100 mean? 8bb's per what?

And your graphs, where did you get them from? Was that just provided by the website you were playing on, or through some tracker software?

Showdown value seems high, I would imagine the vast majority of hands should be won with no showdown.

For SnG's Sky is quite good at heads up games and the rake is only 5% for any game above £1. For DYM's the rake is 10% which it must be hard to make a profit from these, playing 100 you would need to win 55 just to break even. With the HU games, you can play Hyper, turbo or a normal one. The turbo ones are good quick games and allow for a good bit of play they are also really fun. It would be a good idea to get a few of these in, really good practice for HU in a MTT too.

Agree with thedart too, play for fun give your time to it, but don't do it at the detriment of other things in your life.

You sound focussed and determined so good luck, welcome to the forum, and have fun.

• edited September 2013
    Best of luck with this, will be following your progress with interest.
  • edited September 2013
    GL with your challenge DTM04 will look forward to your updates.
  • edited September 2013
    Can I ask what DTM stands for? :-)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: *** DTM’s Big Breathtaking Challenge ***:
    Can I ask what DTM stands for? :-)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    When i first seen the title was thinking the same as paul! Donttelmum's amazing challenge
  • edited September 2013
    FWIW Larson 8BB/100 is generally 8xBB per 100 hands which is a pretty decent winrate.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: *** DTM’s Big Breathtaking Challenge ***:
    There's only 1 DTM ;) Thought this was a diary of his when I saw title. GL anyway
    Posted by Lambert180

Ohh missed this....where's the like button?  :-)