You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line Check

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Villain is relatively passive.  Likes to float flops.  Sees quite a few flops and calls relatively wide.  However when he has a decentish hand he bets big - and its not always the nuts either (i.e. he is guilty of overvalueing hands)  He's 3 bet a few times pre... mainly when i've raised as i've been relatively active.  Im never worried about the button raise... and I dont think SB is either as its almost always a positional raise with the other villain in question.  He 4 bets pre out of position.  Which could be 1010-AA or AKs-AQs  IMO.

Options are -

fold.  He definitely as AA or KK.
call and see a flop and see villains reaction to the board... but risk villain 2 coming along for the ride and spoiling the party.
Reraise to isolate and define villains range.

I decide to go for option 3) with the decision to fold to any other raise/shove pre.  If he calls then he's likely to have 1010-JJ and AK
If he reraises he only ever has AA/KK or AKs.

Is this line optimal?
Villain 1 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £142.95
dub1 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £99.50
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

oldbelter Fold        
paddy1988 Fold        
gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £148.97
Villain 2
Raise   £4.50 £6.75 £96.95
Villain 1 Raise   £10.25 £17.00 £132.70
dub1 Fold        
gazza127 Raise   £27.00 £44.00 £121.97
Villain 2 Fold        
Villain 1 All-in   £132.70 £176.70 £0.00
gazza127 Fold        
Villain 1
Muck        
Villain 1 Win   £62.00   £62.00
Villain 1 Return   £114.70 £0.00 £176.70

Comments

• edited September 2013
    5bet/folding essentially to 'find out where you are' with QQ is pretty bad.

Think we can either flat or fold.... or 5bet with the intention of getting it in but you won't find many people where QQ will be in good shape diong that 200xBB deep.

5bet GII isn't great imo. It's flat or fold... cold 4bets OOP are generally pretty massive hands but we're nearly 300xBB effective and have position so I think we have to call.
  • edited September 2013
    I wouldnt say its solely to find where I am in the hand.  He's definitely capable of calling worse... so the 5 bet was partly for value and to isolate villain 1.  But when he shoves I have to fold... as hes never shoving worse.... unless its AKs
  • edited September 2013
    ok to call but what do we do on a low flop u could  end up losing more 

then doing a 5 bet i dnt mind the 5 bet id make it a lil smaller tho 
  • edited September 2013
    Well we'd be calling like £9 to potentially win £150 (or £250 if the other villian comes along) so if we really wanna narrow his range down that much, we can still pretty much just set mine anyway.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Line Check:
    5bet/folding essentially to 'find out where you are' with QQ is pretty bad. Think we can either flat or fold.... or 5bet with the intention of getting it in but you won't find many people where QQ will be in good shape diong that 200xBB deep. 5bet GII isn't great imo. It's flat or fold... cold 4bets OOP are generally pretty massive hands but we're nearly 300xBB effective and have position so I think we have to call.
    Posted by Lambert180
    +1

I think it's optimistic to think that anyone is calling 5-bets pre-flop, out of position. The almost universal reaction to a 5-bet is to shove or fold.

Even if we're absolutely certain that villain is never 4-bet-folding here, what's the value of 5-bet-folding? If he flats with JJ, TT and AK, we get extra value from those hands pre-flop but they may outdraw us post-flop. If he comes over the top and we fold, we give up all our equity and have paid an extra £17 for it.

Pre-flop we gain an extra £17 from the 5-bet if villain calls and folds to a bet on the flop. If villain improves to beat us post-flop, we lose at least that extra £17, probably more.

If villain jams pre-flop, we lose £17 extra.

We have to assume that villain is going to pay us more post-flop with a hand we beat, just to make the raise profitable. If he's just check-folding his JJ, TT or AK every time he misses, then we're definitely losing out by 5-betting pre-flop.

So, do we think villain is so fishy to call down with just JJ or TT OOP to a pre-flop 5-better? If not, it's probably bad to 5-bet pre-flop, even if villain never folds any of his 4-bet range but does call with worse. Reads on what he's done facing 3-bets or even 4-bets against aggro players are not relevant to what he does facing 5-bets, in my mind. 5-bets are so much more polarised.

I'd say call in position and keep the villain's range as wide as possible. We have no need to define his range any further and doing so is probably going to cost us. We shouldn't be too worried about the button spoiling things either. Just bear in mind what his range is likely to be after seeing a cold 4-bet and our call. It might make for tougher decisions post-flop, but it's not something to be afraid of.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Line Check:
    In Response to Re: Line Check : +1 I think it's optimistic to think that anyone is calling 5-bets pre-flop, out of position. The almost universal reaction to a 5-bet is to shove or fold. Even if we're absolutely certain that villain is never 4-bet-folding here, what's the value of 5-bet-folding? If he flats with JJ, TT and AK, we get extra value from those hands pre-flop but they may outdraw us post-flop. If he comes over the top and we fold, we give up all our equity and have paid an extra £17 for it. Pre-flop we gain an extra £17 from the 5-bet if villain calls and folds to a bet on the flop. If villain improves to beat us post-flop, we lose at least that extra £17, probably more. If villain jams pre-flop, we lose £17 extra. We have to assume that villain is going to pay us more post-flop with a hand we beat, just to make the raise profitable. If he's just check-folding his JJ, TT or AK every time he misses, then we're definitely losing out by 5-betting pre-flop. So, do we think villain is so fishy to call down with just JJ or TT OOP to a pre-flop 5-better? If not, it's probably bad to 5-bet pre-flop, even if villain never folds any of his 4-bet range but does call with worse. Reads on what he's done facing 3-bets or even 4-bets against aggro players are not relevant to what he does facing 5-bets, in my mind. 5-bets are so much more polarised. I'd say call in position and keep the villain's range as wide as possible. We have no need to define his range any further and doing so is probably going to cost us. We shouldn't be too worried about the button spoiling things either. Just bear in mind what his range is likely to be after seeing a cold 4-bet and our call. It might make for tougher decisions post-flop, but it's not something to be afraid of.
    Posted by BorinLoner

On say an 8 high flop.... yes.  He is definitely calling down with 99-JJ 100%.