You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

omaha - be careful what you think you have??

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Played omaha cash and got 10h,10d,5c,6c, flop,turn and river came 2h,5h,6h,4h,3h,for a straight flush on the board, so player went all in, i called and he had 7h,Js,Jc,As. Can you work out mine and my opponents best hands, took me ages to work it out and he still raging he should have won the hand

Comments

• edited December 2009

Lol.

You had a straight, 2-3-4-5-6.

He had J-J-6-5. (One Pair).
  • edited December 2009
    took me ages aswell .....but am i correct in saying u had the straight not flush straight cus ove ur 2 cards out ove ur hold cards? new to this myself ...del
  • edited December 2009
    You cant play the board at Omaha, You must use 2 of your hole cards  !!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    took me a minute to figure it out too. This omaha is a curious but enticing game. lol nh loony.
  • edited December 2009
    You two pair 55664 .. him one pair JJ654

??? New to Omaha so trying my best lol

EDIT oh yes, Tikay, the straight - missed that. Omaha is definitely NOT one to play after a few beers! lol
  • edited December 2009
    I can see you have the straight. Baffled as to why he thought he won the hand.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: omaha - be careful what you think you have??:
    I can see you have the straight. Baffled as to why he thought he won the hand.
    Posted by fingers615
    Perhaps he thought he could, as in Hold 'Em, "play the Board".

It's a common mistake for Omaha Newbies.
  • edited December 2009
    perhaps he thought he had straight flush with the seven

Been watching not quite got it yet, prob try 30p dym at some point
    so if someone wants some easy money let me know :-) lol
  • edited December 2009
     Why is it not the best hand from all the cards wins.   I had straight to the nine but two pair beat it.  Not a game I will be playing !!!!!!! Stick to Texas. ?
    Posted by logdon
    Because in Omaha, you MUST use TWO of your four hole Cards, & three Community Cards. No more, no less.

There are numerous variations of Poker, all have different Rules, some are "flop games", some (stud for example) do not have "community cards" (Boards), some have two Pots - one High, one Low, some even have "Double Flops".

It's best to play what you are comfy with.
  • edited December 2009

Under the options tab, check the box under 'show hand descriptions'. Let the machine do the work for you.
  • edited December 2009
    I had a novice mis-read on the very first hand of my very first tourney. I had A Q Q 10 Hit a queen on the flop and there was an A on the river...automatically assumed I'd got a house!!! At least I didn't lose all my chips and I hit a proper house two hands later and doubled up. Still didn't do very well as I'm not sure of the values of starting hands and the maths down the streets is giving me a headache! lol
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: omaha - be careful what you think you have?? : Because in Omaha, you MUST use TWO of your four hole Cards, & three Community Cards. No more, no less. There are numerous variations of Poker, all have different Rules, some are "flop games", some (stud for example) do not have "community cards" (Boards), some have two Pots - one High, one Low, some even have "Double Flops". It's best to play what you are comfy with.
    Posted by Tikay10
    "Play what your comfy with", couldn't agree more! Was hoping I have a bit of an edge with Omaha as played it for a while now but as ppl are misreading hands so badly I am folding to big shoves with good hands and actually they have not a lot lol :) Just need to work out who can play and who can't I suppose :)

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: omaha - be careful what you think you have?? : "Play what your comfy with", couldn't agree more! Was hoping I have a bit of an edge with Omaha as played it for a while now but as ppl are misreading hands so badly I am folding to big shoves with good hands and actually they have not a lot lol :) Just need to work out who can play and who can't I suppose :)  
    Posted by supersmith
     Good thoughts there. The edge in any game comes not against the real novices but against those who have picked up some knowledge. About one weeks time and the omaha sharks can make a real killing as people think they have the game sussed