You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

This isn't a brag post...

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
...It's just a reminder really, of the part that good fortune plays in poker. It's grounding to reflect back upon a tournament you have played and be able to pinpoint the times when Lady Luck turned things in your favour.

I came 9th in the Sunday Roller, but it wasn't all skill (as much as I try to convince myself it was!). There are three hands in particular where I could have (and probably should have) gone out.

One - I shoved with QQ, was called by AA, and spiked a third lady on the river.
Two - I had KK, saw a shove before me, and then a second one, thought about folding as it was for my tournament life, but called and made the straight. They had AQ and AJ.
Three - With about fifteen players left I shoved my 33 into AA and miraculously hit a flush.

...so yeah, just remember: you may be a good poker player - hell, you may be a great poker player - but if the luck isn't running with you, you won't get very far.

Comments

• edited October 2013

You do need a whole lot of luck at times, just surprised you didn't win it running like that lol

Brilliant result achieving 9th in such a big tournie, very well done.

• edited October 2013
    On number 2 u didint get lucky !!!! U had the best of it when the money went in and you were crushing both of these opponents pre ! So u only got lucky twice !!! standard i say vwp and a solid cash !!!!
  • edited October 2013
    Slip you should join a team.

TPT is the best team by far come join us in the team section!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: This isn't a brag post...:
    Slip you should join a team. TPT is the best team by far come join us in the team section!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Nobody wants me, mate! :(
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: This isn't a brag post... : Nobody wants me, mate! :(
    Posted by Slipwater
    What a week 9th in the roller now the best team wants you to join them! Result. 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: This isn't a brag post... : What a week 9th in the roller now the best team wants you to join them! Result. 
    Posted by LARSON7
    Haha - I was 4th in the main event last night as well, but I did say this wasn't a brag post :D
  • edited October 2013
    Part of the "luck" has to include all the times you got it in good and didn't lose. It also needs to include all the times your opponent made a bad call or a bad fold, as well as occasions we might have made bad decisions that actually worked out... Whenever we go deep in a tournament, we should think we've got "lucky" many, many times. Otherwise we end up thinking we're getting unlucky when we don't go deep for a while, simply because our hands aren't holding up.

On the other hand, every time I've won a tournament it's because I've crushed it. Every time I've failed, I was just running bad. :)

No luck in poker, though. It's a game of chance and variance levels out with volume.

Congrats on the deep run.
  • edited October 2013

Been around the forums a while now, and imo every single post titled "this isn't a brag post", turns out to be a brag post! ;)

Same as.....

"Not a bad beat thread but....."

And....

"This week my aces lost to 72 off, kings lost to 43s queens lost to 8s, I got disconnected on the bubble, there was a powercut just as I was about to call a shove with the nuts, 'but I can't complain because {insert brag here}"

type posts! ^

:D

Good work slipwater, enjoying your contributions on the forum this month. Hope u stick around!!
  • edited October 2013
    Good work slipwater, enjoying your contributions on the forum this month. Hope u stick around!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks for that, and I've got no plans to leave anytime soon!

See you on the felt :)