You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

An interesting comment from Ed Giddins

edited December 2009 in Sky Poker Live
During last nights Primo show Ed made this comment "The better player you are the more likely you are to suffer bad beats". We must therefore all believe that we are the best players in the world. The amount of ranting on tables after some peoples bad beats is ridiculous to say the least.

Is this just one of Ed's theories or can it really be true.

Would love to read some of your views regarding Ed's comment.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to An interesting comment from Ed Giddins:
    During last nights Primo show Ed made this comment "The better player you are the more likely you are to suffer bad beats". We must therefore all believe that we are the best players in the world. The amount of ranting on tables after some peoples bad beats is ridiculous to say the least. Is this just one of Ed's theories or can it really be true. Would love to read some of your views regarding Ed's comment.
    Posted by Ratboy71
     I think by this he means the better players get it all in ahead more often so therefor if they lose it will always be to a bad beat.
  • edited December 2009
    I think ed made some very interesting comments last night, i think ed may have his 3 for total player already, never seen the guy so excited!! thought he was gonna explode at one point with excitement ;)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: An interesting comment from Ed Giddins:
    In Response to An interesting comment from Ed Giddins :  I think by this he means the better players get it all in ahead more often so therefor if they lose it will always be to a bad beat.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Yes, it really is as simple as that.
    Good players don't suffer more bad beats percentage wise, they just get the money in ahead more often and, hence, are likely to suffer more bad beats in absolute terms.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah i agree with the above, if you always go in with muck your unlikely to get many bad beats.
  • edited December 2009

I think Ed got it right. Better players are more likely to get their money n good, & so it follows, more likely to be sucked out than guys who get it in with a bag of spanners & hope to hit.

I have to add, I'm intrigued by the fixation players have on this Site with Bad Beats. I'd go so far as to say it's a sign that they are relatively new to poker, (a good thing for the game, they are our seedcorn), as once you've played a few years, you realise that Beats are fundamentally part of the game, & just shrug your shoulders & move on.

I've stopped playing big buy-in Events - £1,000 up - because although the beats don't trouble me, losing big sums of money on the turn of a card does. So these days I play at lower stakes, & after 12 years in poker, I've found myself enjoying it more than I ever have. I play as a recreation, of course, so there'd be no point in playing if it did not please me greatly every time I play.
  • edited December 2009
    I think Ed got it right. Better players are more likely to get their money n good, & so it follows, more likely to be sucked out than guys who get it in with a bag of spanners & hope to hit. I have to add, I'm intrigued by the fixation players have on this Site with Bad Beats. I'd go so far as to say it's a sign that they are relatively new to poker, (a good thing for the game, they are our seedcorn), as once you've played a few years, you realise that Beats are fundamentally part of the game, & just shrug your shoulders & move on. I've stopped playing big buy-in Events - £1,000 up - because although the beats don't trouble me, losing big sums of money on the turn of a card does. So these days I play at lower stakes, & after 12 years in poker, I've found myself enjoying it more than I ever have. I play as a recreation, of course, so there'd be no point in playing if it did not please me greatly every time I play.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay,
    Picking up from that can you tell us what your largest win has been in your long poker history?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: An interesting comment from Ed Giddins : Tikay, Picking up from that can you tell us what your largest win has been in your long poker history?
    Posted by PokerParty
    The Poker Databases state it is £24,000 (The UK Open) but that's not correct, as we chopped that, & I think I took £13,000 or something.

The Databases also state I took £15,749 for 2nd in the London Poker Masters, but that's wrong, too - I took £21,000.

I really can't remember is the real answer!

Online, well I made a living playing SNG's when I first began, so they don'y really count for much. I won 2 Online Festival Events, but I can't recall what I netted.