You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River decision with the nuts

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
gillian23Small blind £0.50£0.50£51.75
F_IvanovicBig blind £0.50£1.00£128.99
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

katiegir16Raise £1.50£2.50£48.50
littlepipsCall £1.50£4.00£224.03
gillian23Fold    
F_IvanovicRaise £5.00£9.00£123.99
XCall £4.00£13.00£44.50
YCall £4.00£17.00£220.03
Flop

F_IvanovicBet £5.70£22.70£118.29
XCall £5.70£28.40£38.80
YCall £5.70£34.10£214.33
Turn

• A

F_IvanovicBet £18.00£52.10£100.29
XCall £18.00£70.10£20.80
YFold    
River

F_Ivanovic?    

So X is I assume pretty good. Whenever I play on a table of omaha with them they will often leave with a nice stack. I haven't really tangled too much with them though. Y I've not come across before but my guess is that they're fairly fishy.

OK so 3bettng with this hand is probably bad but we'll ignore that! Flop play I guess I could bet a little bigger when I've got someone in the pot who I'm quite deep with. Turn it becomes even more awkard with stack sizes. I want X to put money in but at the same time want to play for stacks with Y if possible. So decide to just go over half pot and X calls but Y folds. So now that leaves a really awkard small bet size left OTR. River comes to give me quads - problem is when I 3bet pre and bet flop/turn and hold an 8 an A in my hand I can't see a single hand that villain might have had that will now call a bet.

I mean I put them on 8x initially but obviously they can't have 8x now. So maybe they had 66x which is now conterfeit and won't call a bet. Really struggled to put them on a hand. But given this, should I check here? There's just enough back that they might try and bluff me off something but I'm not sure.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    A good player has called in position pf and down 2 streets - has to have something and isnt going to get carried away with a flush or str8 although those possibilities may have kept them in pot until the river.

I wouldn't check in that situation - just got to hope they have made a strong FH with AA or KK in hand and will call/raise any bet. You have a blocker to AA but on turn they would have to think they are trapping you big time. 

I'd probably bet pot

I would put them on AA or KK + something else that connected with flop - either 66 or 79 

I guess somehting like A567 or 4567 is possible too. 

• edited October 2013
    he only has £20 regardless of his range jus set him in and hope he feels committed with anything- its less likely he has a strong enough hand so will less likely to be jamming for  value and he has no fold equity as a bluff so jus set him in and hope he calls for pot odds 
  • edited October 2013
    Any more discussion here or shall I post results?

@Phantom: Both KK and AA seem incredibly unlikely here. KK is unlikely because unless he has AKK or KK8 (the latter being impossible now) he's not callng a turn bet with it. AA is unlikely because for one he 4bets pre with most of his AA and for two there's only 1 combo of it.

To me his range would seem like 66xx and wraps with a FD. 66 might call a rver bet but I really doubt it and neither is a flush. So even though it seems unlikely that villain will bluff given how little is left in the pot I still think there's more of a possibility of this than him calling my bet.

Anyway, I did check and got villain to bluff shove with 66.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: River decision with the nuts:
    Any more discussion here or shall I post results? @Phantom: Both KK and AA seem incredibly unlikely here. KK is unlikely because unless he has AKK or KK8 (the latter being impossible now) he's not callng a turn bet with it. AA is unlikely because for one he 4bets pre with most of his AA and for two there's only 1 combo of it. To me his range would seem like 66xx and wraps with a FD. 66 might call a rver bet but I really doubt it and neither is a flush. So even though it seems unlikely that villain will bluff given how little is left in the pot I still think there's more of a possibility of this than him calling my bet. Anyway, I did check and got villain to bluff shove with 66.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Probably right on the KK - could be KK79ds but that's a stretch

Is it really just a bluff on river? OK so made turn hand just looks a lot weaker. Do you think villain would had called with low FH if you had bet? Villain wont have you on an 8 that's for sure.