You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Analyse my hands!

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Been meaning to post these for a while, but could never find the time until now!

1) I won the hand here, but was my play correct? Could I have squeezed more value on the river? I feared that he had an ace with a higher kicker.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
banana10 Small blind   10.00 10.00 2060.00
peter27 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

jazzyB681 Call   20.00 50.00 1980.00
stushir Fold        
redstar7 Fold        
ewan1988 Fold        
banana10 Call   10.00 60.00 2050.00
peter27 Check        
Flop

• A
  • A

banana10 Check        
peter27 Check        
jazzyB681 Bet   60.00 120.00 1920.00
banana10 Fold        
peter27 Call   60.00 180.00 1920.00
Turn

peter27 Check        
jazzyB681 Bet   135.00 315.00 1785.00
peter27 Call   135.00 450.00 1785.00
River

peter27 Check        
jazzyB681 Check        
peter27 Show
  • A

jazzyB681 Muck

peter27 Win Three Aces 450.00   2235.00
2) Was I right to fold after the flop or should I have gone for one more street?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Uridium Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £18.99
HOLLYWHIT Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £38.03
  Your hole cards

peter27 Raise   £0.20 £0.35 £19.41
itsagas Call   £0.20 £0.55 £7.34
VINEY73 Fold        
hennix11 Fold        
Uridium Fold        
HOLLYWHIT Call   £0.10 £0.65 £37.93
Flop

HOLLYWHIT Check        
peter27 Check        
itsagas Bet   £0.65 £1.30 £6.69
HOLLYWHIT Fold        
peter27 Fold        
itsagas Muck        
itsagas Win   £0.60   £7.29
itsagas Return   £0.65 £0.05 £7.94
Thanks guys!

Comments

• edited October 2013

Hand 1/  We can bet half pot and fold to a jam.

Hand 2/ Depends on reads.
    If villain donk leads every pot then he doesn't have to have anything here and we can reraise and charge him for draws or put him in a tough position with his 2nd and 3rd pairs. You'd have to be comfortable playing down the streets though cos there aren't many turns and rivers we are gonna like. If this is first time all session he's led out then pretty simple fold.
    Remember to keep taking notes on players tendencies.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 1).... It's difficult to place villain on an Ace as A) there are 2 on the board, B) we have one in our hand and C) he's only limped in. However, I think C/C down is fine. On this occasion, we could lead the river and try and get villain to think we've missed our flush, but if we are then raised we'd have to fold. Think you probably got the maximum really.

Hand 2)....I'm not the best cash player so feel free to discard this, but I'd probably be continuing on that flop. We don't need to bet much, 35/40p or so. It's not a bad flop for us, and there are a couple of draws that we can charge. As played, we don't know if villain actually has a hand, or if he is stealing the pot in position. But we are going to be OOP for 3 streets so I certainly wouldn't get too attached to 66, but on that flop you will be good a decent amount of the time and we should bet accordingly.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 1 - I might even raise flop. If not c/c is fine but I probably bet river although the line looks fine.

Hand 2 - Make it 30p pre. There are some deep stacks there and we want to play a big hand if we hit. We are also UTG and therefore can take some decent aggression in the hand as we should be playing a narrower range which allows us to c-bet the flop with confidence. As played I don't see a lot wrong with it but certainly there can be a few slightly different ways of playing this.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 2 you can limp in with 6s, or raise.

I like the fact you have decided to raise, but it's a bit 2 small, when you raise so small if anyone calls (before the blinds) then the chances are you are going to a 3 / 4 way flop with only a small pair, that will not play well post flop, outside of hitting your 6 / straight draw, most times we are going to be forced to fold post flop.

In this hand here we end up getting the 2 callers. The flop is actually really decent for our 6s.

100% we need to be continuation betting this flop. As played 1 bet and we fold, its far better to be the agressor in the hand.

Pre (if not limping) make it 30-40p. Definatly continuation bet.
  • edited October 2013
    Please don't ever limp the 66.

Larson, if you're limping there it's a big leak. You don't want to believe me but it really is.

Enter for a raise, at the same amount you'd raise with AA, AK, TT, and any other hand you intend to play. Three times the big blind is a standard raise playing 100BB deep. When you're 200BB deep, as here, four times the big blind is fine.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 1 - I agree with Spanky, C/C is good up to the river, but on the river he probably just checks back everything apart from Ax (and obv we don't beat any of them). We can go something like half pot and fold to a raise.

Hand 2 - Agree with Harry that I think we should be c-betting this flop. It's pretty good as flops go for 66 (without having a 6 on it). If we make him fold a load of hands with 2 overs then that's fine imo. 3x pre though :p
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Analyse my hands!:
    Please don't ever limp the 66. Larson, if you're limping there it's a big leak. You don't want to believe me but it really is. Enter for a raise, at the same amount you'd raise with AA, AK, TT, and any other hand you intend to play. Three times the big blind is a standard raise playing 100BB deep. When you're 200BB deep, as here, four times the big blind is fine.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    If you read what i said, which was you can limp or raise to 3x or 4x, but i prefer a raise.

A min raise is as good as a limp.

Limping would be far superior to 2xing imp, 2xing, check folding, is just burning money.

I totally disagree with you that limping with pocket 6s (certain other hands in our range) is a leak. It is good to mix it up and a good way of doing that is limping on occasion. 95% of the time we want to be raising, but it's always good to through in a curve ball now and again.

As for 3x is standard 100bb deep, 4x is standard 200bb deep. The size of your pre flop raises is totally dependant on the table you are playing at, if you have a table of limpers that like to see flops you want to bet a lot bigger pre. But you do want to be consistant in your bet sizing at the same table.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm all for throwing in the odd curveball, but if we are first into a pot it should always be with a raise. 
  • edited October 2013
    I came 32nd in my first mini bountry hunter tournaments 2nite somecards1.
  • edited October 2013
    Somecards well done! And welcome to the forum, check out the various sections / poker chat/ poker clinic(where we are now)/ brags beats variance, where you can post up good results you have had.

-----------------------------------------------

OP it is  better to raise an unopened pot. In poker it is always far better to be the aggressor.

I would say try and avoid min raising (as it will not deter any players that want to play the hand) where as 3 x or more probably will.

If you want to "min raise" you would be better limping (with a hand like sixes)

If you watch the Biggame, it's not unusual to see the pros limping (every now and again).

• edited October 2013

With regards to hand 2.

This hand shows a major problem in your game. I like the preflop raise but possibly should have been more. For me you should always be entering for a raise.  But you cant enter a pot like this with a hand like that to only play fit or fold poker.
     You will only hit a set on about 1 in 7 flops. Can you guarantee to get paid off everytime you hit, probably not. So entering these pots and then playing fit or fold is an overall losing play. You are just open to being bullied off. Especially if you check fold when you miss and will only c-bet when you hit.

Now apart from hitting your set or better on the flop what is the best flop you could hope for. The answer is that flop. Only one over and no high cards. Your opponent has no idea what you have so you are capable of representing much stronger than you actually have. That is a c-bet 100% of the time. Check old should never enter your head.

So for me if you are going to play that weak and passive post flop when you miss your unlikey flop then the best thing to do is fold pre. Either be aggressive and take control or give up earlier
  • edited October 2013
    I came 32nd in my first mini bountry hunter tournaments 2nite somecards1.
    Posted by somecards1
    thanks for your feedback. I'm a new player and still learning???...
  • edited October 2013
    Just doing a little round-up of what you guys said, thanks for the help to all who posted :-)

1)

C/C was fine but probably better to bet on the river (although fold to a re-raise)

2)

Good to be betting pre-flop, but maybe 3x rather than my 2x bet.
    Flop was pretty good for 66, so I needed more aggression and therefore a bet post-flop. My question is how much should I have bet, half-pot? Also, at what point would I fold? How about if he re-raises?
  • edited October 2013
    Larson.

We should always be raising into a pot.  As far as im concerned there is only 1 occassion where limping may be acceptable... When we are dealt prem blind on blind against a shortish stack which is liable to shove... but not call a wider a range (in a tournament) - even then im not so sure.

If we have Aces we raise 3x pre.
    If we have AK we raise 3x pre.
    If we have 66 we limp?

We cannot be giving opponents clues to the strength of our hand before we've hit the flop.  And we also always want to be the aggressor.

We raise 66 3x pre.  Everytime.

RE hands.  I agree that hand 1 we can bet/fold.  Hand 2 we should be continuing.  Its a great flop for us to take down uncontested.  Yes if we hit resistance we can shut down, but definitely bet flop.
  • edited October 2013
    Just doing a little round-up of what you guys said, thanks for the help to all who posted :-) 1) C/C was fine but probably better to bet on the river (although fold to a re-raise) 2) Good to be betting pre-flop, but maybe 3x rather than my 2x bet. Flop was pretty good for 66, so I needed more aggression and therefore a bet post-flop. My question is how much should I have bet, half-pot? Also, at what point would I fold? How about if he re-raises?
    Posted by peter27
    All villain dependent.  I'd be betting half pot though yes.  If we get raised i'd probably fold (unless i knew villain was a complete maniac).  If he calls flop then we can reassess turn and continue from there.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Analyse my hands! : All villain dependent.  I'd be betting half pot though yes.  If we get raised i'd probably fold (unless i knew villain was a complete maniac).  If he calls flop then we can reassess turn and continue from there.
    Posted by gazza127
    Thanks gazza! :-)
  • edited October 2013
    hand 2
    personally I would raise more pre,a min raise is just the same as a limp imo
    if its an aggressive table and u have a monster then a min raise would be ok, with the intention to 4 bet any raise but not with 66.
    so why are you min raising? not value ,so u can fold to a re raise? to get your opponents to fold ?( don't think so)
    so ask yourself why am I min raising? 
    so now your playing 66 in a tricky position 
    the flop
     when the bb checks, I would bet say 1/2 pot bet ,as it is a not to scary a board for you , and to show strength, when u check you pass the initiative to your opponent.
    the way its played u have shown weakness throughout the hand so far,so the player in position has a big advantage now.so probably a fold is the correct descion for you  after the pot bet bet .

If you had taken a more standard approach to the hand,3x raise pre,c/bet 1/2 pot the flop,then the hand would have been much easier to play.

I hope this helps
  • edited October 2013
    hand 2 personally I would raise more pre,a min raise is just the same as a limp imo if its an aggressive table and u have a monster then a min raise would be ok, with the intention to 4 bet any raise but not with 66. so why are you min raising? not value ,so u can fold to a re raise? to get your opponents to fold ?( don't think so) so ask yourself why am I min raising?  so now your playing 66 in a tricky position  the flop  when the bb checks, I would bet say 1/2 pot bet ,as it is a not to scary a board for you , and to show strength, when u check you pass the initiative to your opponent. the way its played u have shown weakness throughout the hand so far,so the player in position has a big advantage now.so probably a fold is the correct descion for you  after the pot bet bet . If you had taken a more standard approach to the hand,3x raise pre,c/bet 1/2 pot the flop,then the hand would have been much easier to play. I hope this helps
    Posted by thejudge10
    That's a very helpful post, thank you :-)

My reason for min raising was because I wanted to show strength, that I had something - but I realised it is not the best hand so I didn't want to risk too much. I do now understand why the bet should have been bigger though!
  • edited October 2013
    A min-raise isn't the same as a limp. We can't think that way.

Min-raising produces different dynamics to 3x'ing, but it also produces different dynamics to limping. Many people will think a min-raise looks like a marginal hand, many people will think it looks like a monster. Some may think we're varying our raise size due to our position and others will think that we're min-raising because we want to get a particular opponent involved in the hand. 

The key point is that people will make some sort of assumption about what our raise size means if we are varying our open raise sizes. We won't necessarily know what assumptions those players are making but it definitely won't be the same as if we limp. There are at least half a dozen players I have notes on saying "Min-raises monsters" or something similar. There are other players I have notes on saying "Min-raises from late position: Does not indicate hand strength".

Generally the best thing to do is probably to have a standard raise size with all of your hands in any position, until you have more history with your opponents and will understand their reactions to your play. You should not vary your raise size if you don't know how your opponents will react. You want to keep them predictable, so don't aid them in being unpredictable. You must NEVER vary your raise size to accurately reflect the strength of your hand.

Larson, saying a raise size is "standard" is not the same as saying it's always optimal and should always be followed. It's literally saying that it's the standard and you should have good reasons for deviating from it.

I'm not going to explain my logic for not open-limping 66 in situations like this because I know you've seen me do that a thousand times already. I could only make the same arguments again.
  • edited October 2013
    A min-raise isn't the same as a limp. We can't think that way. Min-raising produces different dynamics to 3x'ing, but it also produces different dynamics to limping. Many people will think a min-raise looks like a marginal hand, many people will think it looks like a monster. Some may think we're varying our raise size due to our position and others will think that we're min-raising because we want to get a particular opponent involved in the hand.  The key point is that people will make some sort of assumption about what our raise size means if we are varying our open raise sizes. We won't necessarily know what assumptions those players are making but it definitely won't be the same as if we limp. There are at least half a dozen players I have notes on saying "Min-raises monsters" or something similar. There are other players I have notes on saying "Min-raises from late position: Does not indicate hand strength". Generally the best thing to do is probably to have a standard raise size with all of your hands in any position, until you have more history with your opponents and will understand their reactions to your play. You should not vary your raise size if you don't know how your opponents will react. You want to keep them predictable, so don't aid them in being unpredictable. You must NEVER vary your raise size to accurately reflect the strength of your hand. Larson, saying a raise size is "standard" is not the same as saying it's always optimal and should always be followed. It's literally saying that it's the standard and you should have good reasons for deviating from it. I'm not going to explain my logic for not open-limping 66 in situations like this because I know you've seen me do that a thousand times already. I could only make the same arguments again.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I find pre-flop raise sizing a very interesting part of the game!

As I understand it, the key thing is to - as you said - "NEVER vary your raise size to accurately reflect the strength of your hand". Some people say you should have a standard raise size, some people say you should mix it up (not depending on your hand strength though). I do like to mix it up occasionally - often for deception i.e. pre-flop 3x most of the game but then pre-flop min raising when I hold AK for example (if the blinds are high that is).
  • edited October 2013
    Imo the safest thing to do while you don't have reads or are in the early stages of learning the game is just stick to the same bet sizing pre regardless of holdings.

If effective stacks (the shortest stack involved in the hand) are over 50xBB I'd be 3x'ing. If they're under 50xBB then I think min-raising is better.

3bets when the stacks are over 50xBB (again readless) should generally be imo about 9xBB total in position and 10-11xBB out of position. We'll generally have a stronger range when we're 3betting OOP than IP so wanna get more value and it's harder to play OOP so the less room we leave for the opponent to outmaneuver us postflop, the better. In position we should be 3betting wider and taking down pots easier with the positional advantage so can go smaller.

When stacks are under 50xBB then we can make our 3bets alot smaller... for instance if stacks are all 3500 @ 50/100 and someone makes it 200, first of all, going to 9xBB would be huge cos the open is smaller, but even doing 3x his open (like 'normal') might not be optimal, I might go something like 550-575 IP and 625 OOP.
  • edited October 2013
    Imo the safest thing to do while you don't have reads or are in the early stages of learning the game is just stick to the same bet sizing pre regardless of holdings. If effective stacks (the shortest stack involved in the hand) are over 50xBB I'd be 3x'ing. If they're under 50xBB then I think min-raising is better. 3bets when the stacks are over 50xBB (again readless) should generally be imo about 9xBB total in position and 10-11xBB out of position. We'll generally have a stronger range when we're 3betting OOP than IP so wanna get more value and it's harder to play OOP so the less room we leave for the opponent to outmaneuver us postflop, the better. In position we should be 3betting wider and taking down pots easier with the positional advantage so can go smaller. When stacks are under 50xBB then we can make our 3bets alot smaller... for instance if stacks are all 3500 @ 50/100 and someone makes it 200, first of all, going to 9xBB would be huge cos the open is smaller, but even doing 3x his open (like 'normal') might not be optimal, I might go something like 550-575 IP and 625 OOP.
    Posted by Lambert180
    That seems to make logical sense, thanks Lambert! :-)