You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Charity!

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Hey

Was thinking about this with all the staking threads recently (the spt at Newcastle was the 1st time I had heard of staking!)

This time it is with a slight twist, it is for charity!

MOD EDIT, Staking requests are not facilitated on the Sky Poker forum, that is not to say you can't request staking for such a worthy cause on other groups

Charity

The last few years I've been involved in raising money for charity doing numerous things, including open water swimming, but have not done anything this year. Often, I feel people have misconceptions about poker (those that don't play) they just lump it with other forms of gambling not realising that there is a huge skill element involved also. I have also never seen anything done on Sky in relation to Charity, so think this would be a really good thing.

I would like to do it for St Andrew's Hospice (Airdrie), it is a hospice based in Lanarkshire, which requires £100plus k a week to run, and has to rely for most of that from donations / fund raising. The other Charity I would like involved in Cancer Research.

I have no idea if this will work or not, but thought I would throw it out there and hopefully there might be some interest. I think it would be brilliant if there was something done on here, outside of just promotions to help players, but also something that was focussed on charity.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2013

Hey Mr Larson

I moderated your post because the Sky Poker forum cannot be seen to facilitate staking requests.  This clearly is a special case and is admirable but Sky Poker just cannot facilitate staking as it is out of Sky Poker's control if anything goes wrong regarding payments to parties etc

It's kind of hard to explain!!

What I personally suggest is set up a justgiving page for an event, I know Hitman has a yearly virtual coffee morning which raises a lot of money

Why not do a 50 DYM grind or a challenge of some sort and ask for donations via the just giving route, first 10 quid will come from me!

Like I said, difficult decision to moderate this but staking is such  a sensitive subject and most forums/organisations have some qualifying criteria before facilitating such requests.

If Sky Poker agree to allow a staking request as it is for charity then they can comment, I will use the PM channels to see

Dave

• edited October 2013

Hi Kev.

This is an admirable initiative, but it MAY cause a lot of issues here.

Can you just give us a little time to assess this before making any decisions, please?

Top man, thank you.

PS - Yes, I have your PM, & am grappling with it right now.
  • edited October 2013

My Post "crossed" Solar Carro's, but, in different ways, we both explained the same concerns.

Bear with us, please.

• edited October 2013
    Hey Solar and TK, thanks for the responses. I'll  try and reword the above posting later to avoid the word "staking".

I'll wait to hear if some formats possible. Totally understand the reason behinds why "staking" is not allowed on the forum and the issues with my OP.

Thanks
  • edited October 2013

Kev, let me respond (shortly), it really is all a bit complicated.

I'm just seeking some advice from Upstairs at the mo, will be right back.
  • edited October 2013

Hi again Kev.

This one is really awkward I'm afraid.

We cannot allow Staking or Charity requests on the Community these days, it is riddled with complexities & problems. Sad really, but such is the world of Online these days.

You ARE of course free to use the PM facility to make any requests to other players you so wish.

Really sorry we can't be more helpful, but that's just how it is.

On a slightly more cheerful note, however......yesterday, I was requested by some lads to play a small Tourney, & I promised any money I won I would somehow donate to something. I won £11, so I pledge that to the cause. If you or a friend are at the SPT Grand Final, I'll cough up then. I'm obliged to say this is a personal donation (I played on my private account yesterday), not from the Business. 

The Business DOES make very significant Charity Contributions every year, but need to do it in a way then can manage & control. 

Hope that all makes sense, & once again, congrats on making a splendid initiative for Charity.    

• edited October 2013

Thanks Tikay for the quick response.

Totally understand the reasons that it is difficult/ complex and why it's not allowed on the forum.

Would it potentially be possible for Skypoker to maybe run a tournament, a charity tournie, and all rake raised be given to Charity?

I think it would be a great idea for the site to do an annual charity event and try and get as many people involved as possible.

Just an idea! 

• edited October 2013
    ...sent you a PM, mate.