You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha cash

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Not the best starting hand but was thinking I was missing value on a largely passive table with a wide range of starting hands.

Villain has been very active potting and repotting preflop with less than optimal starting hands.

Has shown the ability to bluff with air and make good folds

The 9, card not helping much in my hole cards, is the card that got me into trouble

my hole cards KKq9 (KQh)  are suited

Normally I open raise if entering a pot but with villain to my right I think if he is in the hand he will reraise with a wide range.

I was UTG and called, villain raises pot and I called

flop 938 rainbow

I lead out with overpair and top pair on board and no made str8s or flushes. Villain pot raises I call

turn gives a 9 and 2nd h

I check

Villain all-in

I call

Villain shows 33AJ (3 diamonds) for the FH

4h on river which doesn't help me

I really don't think I can get away from this hand on turn with top trips and draws to high FH's and 2nd nut flush

Should I have called pf and flop raises though?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Pre-flop I would consider either limp/re-raising or raise/4betting. We have a strong hand vs what is going to be a wide range but it's a hand that plays better in pots with a lower SPR so we want to get as much money in pre as possible. If he really is 3-betting a lot then I would rather just raise/4bet as if we 3bet we might get into some awkard post-flop situations.

If you're not comfortable playing for stacks a lot then you should probably just leave the table as otherwise someone this aggressive is just going to walk all over you!
  • edited October 2013

That was my only big loss hand in the session so thought I'd post for feedback

Against the other players I am comfortable, knowing whether I am ahead and getting value. Overall recovered to make a small profit.

I think it was a good table to be on, options are either avoid villain, in hands at this table or by moving, or adjust game to compensate.

A LAG opponent a couple of seats to left is always an awkward position to be in. If you tighten up v villain and make it obvious then you are not getting any value when you do make a hand. At some point have to make a decision on R/R light.

I think if the 9 and been an AJorT or made it double suited I would definitely be opening with the pot raise and then 4 betting.

The mistake was limping which was really out of fear - not of ending up playing for the stack but of being oop and clueless to where I was v a LAG.

Good shout on the limp reraise - hadn't factored that one in to my thinking.

Don't think I could do much else but lose all my chips as the hand played out post flop though?
  • edited October 2013
    Looking back at whole session.

I was ahead before villain joined table

Won a couple of pots against villain - said he could bluff + fold - one pot he bet half his stack on a flop with 3 suited cards. I put him all-in and he folded (I had AA and the nut flush)

Post joining - villain loses a couple but wins 5 big pots this one included.

Only saved by a late top trips flopped on a dry board v another villain.

Made a note to watch out and avoid this villain if poss and definitely don't play them oop