You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AJ h facing a raise & a flat

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Raiser has been fairly aggro wanting to see a lot of flops, caller pretty much the same.

Is this a call, raise or fold 45 ish bbs deep?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BAITRUNNER Small blind  80.00 80.00 23260.00
davelufc Big blind  160.00 240.00 7470.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

sfc4lif121 Fold     
the-sock Raise  640.00 880.00 25595.00
hmdan Fold     
bivvster Call  640.00 1520.00 10530.00
BAITRUNNER Fold     
davelufc ??

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Is this 4x raise an unusual size from this villain?

Anyway, you just have to ask which hands can the two villains have at the moment, which hands do they call/fold/4-bet with if I 3-bet and how do they post-flop?

Generally speaking, we don't want to be stacking off with AJs pre-flop so if we 3-bet and one of the villain's 4-bets us, we'd have to fold. That means that we have to think that one or other of the villains is going to call us with a wide range of hands which we're ahead of. We'd preferably want them to then play face-up post-flop.

Our image is going to be a factor in those things. Of course, if we've never 3-bet before and we think our opponents will realise that, then our 3-bet will look like a very narrow range and we shouldn't expect to be called by worse hands. If we've been 3-betting liberally, then our range is going to be perceived as very wide and our opponents may call, or even 4-bet, wide too.

Out of position with AJs against a raiser and a caller, I'd think that 3-betting would be more a bluff than a value raise in most situations. We're not really wanting to be called unless we're absolutely certain that villain will play totally face-up post-flop. Otherwise we're just going to find ourselves in tricky situations post-flop.

AJs against the ranges you describe seems like too strong a hand to be bluffing with and too strong a hand to just be folding. So I guess I'd call and see a flop, this deep.