You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Royal Mail shares???

edited May 2014 in Betting Chat
It seems a lot of companys and traders are investing in the privatisation of Royal Mail just as it starts to turn a profit. I don,t necessarily agree with this but if you can,t beat them join them so i,ve invested a few quid before they float on the stock market next week.

I know there are strikes planned but it will already be privatised by then so can,t see it changing anything

Having never bought shares before was just wondering if ppl think this will be  a good move or not and if anyones else has bought any or thinking of doing so? 

Paul

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I don't think you can lose.
    Wish I had the money!
    The early bird gets the worm!
  • edited October 2013
    Should be a good investment but i would not expect to get too many shares and i would sell straight away. I used to be well into shares in the 80s, bought all the BT, British Gas, TBS etc, they were happy days for sure.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Royal Mail shares???:
    Should be a good investment but i would not expect to get too many shares and i would sell straight away. I used to be well into shares in the 80s, bought all the BT, British Gas, TBS etc, they were happy days for sure.
    Posted by 55013
    + 1

hoping but not too optimistic getting all I want
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Royal Mail shares??? : + 1 hoping but not too optimistic getting all I want
    Posted by vaigret
    Just look at the world economic climate. People, Companies and Countries are dumping shares as fast as they can. Its very dodgey at the moment. You need to be in it for the long run, or bet short. I have just finished my 5 year share options, invested 5k and made didn't make much of a profit (bout 300). Have invested for another 5 years. Hopefully it doesn't all go T its Up. But it is really scary times indeed...

Scotty
  • edited October 2013
    Scotty

I know what you saying two of my current holdings lost 80% in a year, just hoping they finally strike gold as too big a loss to sell now.

As for Royal Mail, it is a short term no loser as so undervalued.
  • edited October 2013
    Scotty I know what you saying two of my current holdings lost 80% in a year, just hoping they finally strike gold as too big a loss to sell now. As for Royal Mail, it is a short term no loser as so undervalued.
    Posted by vaigret

I should have put this thread up earlier, as i was thinking about it months ago but didn,t understand as 2 of you have mentioned about - don,t expect to get them all- . I was under the naive impression, having never bought shares before that i,d get my alotted amount of 5k so went online last minute , bought them and got an email saying i,d got them - Just seen i,ll only get the minimum £750 now and anyone applying for 10k or more won,t get any. 

if i,d known this eairlier i could have got  5 members of my family to get the others for me but to late now. At least i talked my mum into getting 1k for herself

Ps Thought the strike action all over the news a few months back would put some ppl off but in recent news they,ve been saying its not going to make a difference and its will be privatised by then anyway so whats the point
  • edited October 2013
    just read these rose 35% today so wp anyone who got them!!
  • edited October 2013
    Just made £240 in half a day , not bad.
  • edited October 2013
    Just made £240 in half a day , not bad.
    Posted by vaigret
    I know what your saying Father V. I shouldn,t complain but i keep thinking if i,d done it properly i,d be getting 6x that so its a bit of a dbl edged sword if thats the right expression. Just suppose they doubled in a week or a month I,m then gonna be thinking how much i,ve missed out on rather than dbl the £750 so will probably get rid soon and stick it back in premium bonds

It feels a bit like doing a sports bet when you fill it out wrong and put a quid on instead of a fiver and dont realise until its to late then it comes in. Are you happy or miffed? because you know its your own mistake
  • edited October 2013
    Mp33

I am very happy I applied for £3000 and got the £750 and so did my wife. Not disapponited I didnt get any other members of the family as last minute decision basded on your post.

Always was going to be a short term hold and £240 profit in half a day good. Ok so they have gone up further but you must always have a figure you will sell at and at the time 4.50 was mine. Wife's shares will be sold when they go over £5. Hoping that soon rather than later.

Good luck when selling yours.
  • edited October 2013
    Sold all mine this morning for a nice 4 figure profit.
    Some "experts" predict they could enter the FT100 in December.
    If so, the big funds will be buying and they could shoot up further.
    But like you Father, I saw this as a short term thing and happy to take the profit.

• edited October 2013
    Sold all mine this morning for a nice 4 figure profit. Some "experts" predict they could enter the FT100 in December. If so, the big funds will be buying and they could shoot up further. But like you Father, I saw this as a short term thing and happy to take the profit.
    Posted by dragon1964
    You did well to get enough shares to get four figure profit dragon, postie?

Anyway well done
  • edited October 2013
    Yes.
    I should have mentioned that in the post.
    RM employees got priority on up to £10000 worth.
    I wasn't anywhere near that much but I can't complain. 
  • edited October 2013
    Mp33 I am very happy I applied for £3000 and got the £750 and so did my wife. Not disapponited I didnt get any other members of the family as last minute decision basded on your post.   Always was going to be a short term hold and £240 profit in half a day good. Ok so they have gone up further but you must always have a figure you will sell at and at the time 4.50 was mine. Wife's shares will be sold when they go over £5. Hoping that soon rather than later. Good luck when selling yours.
    Posted by vaigret

Didn,t realise that . N1. Glad i posted now

Just pls don,t take any notice if i post any horses up :) 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Royal Mail shares??? : Didn,t realise that . N1. Glad i posted now Just pls don,t take any notice if i post any horses up :) 
    Posted by MP33
    No problem mate, nobody tyakes notice of mine either.
  • edited October 2013
    Yes. I should have mentioned that in the post. RM employees got priority on up to £10000 worth. I wasn't anywhere near that much but I can't complain. 
    Posted by dragon1964
    Well done you deserve it. I was postie once and the only thing i miss is that I wasnt involved now with the shares LOL
  • edited October 2013
    I LOL'd when I saw this thread in punters corner. A company who will enter the FTSE 100 at the next review, has a dividend yield of 7% and a property portfolio worth not much less than its market capitalisation, is the nearest thing to a shoe in.

I got my £750 worth through my pension plan and am very pleased with the return. I would have liked to have topped up, but the price has gone up so much, its probably worth waiting to see what happens.

I do laugh at milliband and balls moaning about the company being sold for a discount, when it was their government that sold billions of pounds worth of  gold when it was $200 an ounce when its over $1200 now. Bad BR management imo Labour.

IMO this is a long term hold, but I can understand those who have already bagged a few hundred quid profit.
  • edited October 2013
    I LOL'd when I saw this thread in punters corner. A company who will enter the FTSE 100 at the next review, has a dividend yield of 7% and a property portfolio worth not much less than its market capitalisation, is the nearest thing to a shoe in. I got my £750 worth through my pension plan and am very pleased with the return. I would have liked to have topped up, but the price has gone up so much, its probably worth waiting to see what happens. I do laugh at milliband and balls moaning about the company being sold for a discount, when it was their government that sold billions of pounds worth of  gold when it was $200 an ounce when its over $1200 now. Bad BR management imo Labour. IMO this is a long term hold, but I can understand those who have already bagged a few hundred quid profit.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Hi Ace,

Price just gone to 515 and tend to agree with you and are not selling yet even though shares reached sealing we put in place for wife's shares. Seems they have a long way to go yet and if they ever fall below 500 again is the time I think we will sell. At the moment looking very mush a no lose bet.  Analysts saying they would buy at 518 and the reason is well summed up in your post.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Royal Mail shares??? : Hi Ace, Price just gone to 515 and tend to agree with you and are not selling yet even though shares reached sealing we put in place for wife's shares. Seems they have a long way to go yet and if they ever fall below 500 again is the time I think we will sell. At the moment looking very mush a no lose bet.  Analysts saying they would buy at 518 and the reason is well summed up in your post.
    Posted by vaigret
    Yeah v nice return soo far, but its like a house, you havent locked in any gain until you've sold them. Until then all the figures are academic. You'll start to take notice of things like the americans defaulting on their debts now, because any bad economic news will have an impact on the share price. 

As I said, I bought through my pension, so even though I can sell the shares I cant get my hands on the cash until I am at least 55, which isnt a bad thing.

GL, and enjoy the roller coaster ride that is share trading!
  • edited October 2013
    Whilst this is running and people seemed to be interested have alook at

APPLIED GRAPHENE MATERIALS 

which is to be launched on AIM in November.

Now this will be more high risk than Royal Mail and is a long term stock if you think it is worthwhile. 

Analysts buzzing about this launch as product is ground breaking and orders already there, floating to get capital to increase production. 

Remember shares can go up as well as down.  
  • edited November 2013
    I take back what i said earlier about selling straight away, yikes i wish i had gone for it now. They are talking about them heading towards £10 in the Mail today.
  • edited November 2013
    I take back what i said earlier about selling straight away, yikes i wish i had gone for it now. They are talking about them heading towards £10 in the Mail today.
    Posted by 55013
    I hope so, glad we kept my wife's shares now, she is making my profit seem paltry.
  • edited November 2013
    Not checked then for ages but whenever i read something about them it always seems like good news and that they are due to keep rising 

I,ll check before Christmas and might sell then. Will wait and see
  • edited December 2013
    really pis s ed off. checked all through November for update on Applied Graphene Materials , no news even on their own website!!!!! Phoned broker and they had heard no news on them at the time I rang.

Searched them yesterday on web and they apparently launched on AIM on 18th november at £2.16 a share. 

Gained 40% immediately and now £4.70 a share.

Another winner missed.

Middle name UNLUCKY

Father Vaigret
  • edited May 2014
    A well known High St bank up for grabs next month (it would not let me print the 3 letters on here) - do you think they will be worth buying?. Cannot imagine it will be as good as the time back in the 80s but they are offering 1 free share for every 20 bought.
  • edited May 2014
    A well known High St bank up for grabs next month (it would not let me print the 3 letters on here) - do you think they will be worth buying?. Cannot imagine it will be as good as the time back in the 80s but they are offering 1 free share for every 20 bought.
    Posted by 55013
    My view is that even Bankers cant co ck it up twice, can see all bank shares rising as time goes by. Wouldn't think it will be a quick win like Rail Mail.