You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line check on my bluff

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Small blind  £0.20 £0.20 £39.67
F_Ivanovic Big blind  £0.40 £0.60 £103.86
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

jd44 Raise  £1.20 £1.80 £34.66
NooGooood Fold     
hurst05 Call  £1.20 £3.00 £51.03
Call  £1.00 £4.00 £38.67
F_Ivanovic Call  £0.80 £4.80 £103.06
Flop

• A

Bet  £2.40 £7.20 £36.27
F_Ivanovic Call  £2.40 £9.60 £100.66
jd44 Fold     
hurst05 Fold     
Turn

Bet  £4.80 £14.40 £31.47
F_Ivanovic Raise  £13.40 £27.80 £87.26
Call  £8.60 £36.40 £22.87
River

Check     
F_Ivanovic Bet  £27.30 £63.70 £59.96

Pre is semi-loose not being suited but I planned on making some moves post in favourable situations. So I decide to float flop here. I have position on the bettor and with a gutshot + BD hearts I think it's OK to do this occasionally. Turn is a great card to represent. His bet looks like Ax and so I decide to raise. I can probably check back river if I hit a straight and can value bet a flush plus bluff most cards. May give up on some paired rivers.

Only thing I'm worried about is this: earlier in the session he calls 3bet w A9, donks a A56 flop 3 way, calls my raise. Then he calls my shove on a K turn which brings flush (he had no FD) and he has A9 (no fd) - that being said I thought the fact I showed up with AA here might make him believe I'm more likely to have it here?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Turn play is fine. I'm checking back river as he more than likely has AQ, AK with Q or K hearts, asides from that he seems as though he's the kind of player that will still call your river bet with AJ or even show up with AT. Either way I don't think he's ever folding once he's called your turn bet.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Line check on my bluff:
    Turn play is fine. I'm checking back river as he more than likely has AQ, AK with Q or K hearts, asides from that he seems as though he's the kind of player that will still call your river bet with AJ or even show up with AT. Either way I don't think he's ever folding once he's called your turn bet.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Villain can't have the Q of hearts.
  • edited October 2013
    id probally be more incline to flat rather than trying to bluff what seems a station who seems to be playing there card as face value- the problem with this type of player, once they have called the turn its probally goin to be better not to barrell onced missed also, as they'll jus call anyway.. 

id also be puking if they jamed flop once we raise our hand which has great equity against most of hos range- 

id call turn and play river accordingly
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Line check on my bluff : Villain can't have the Q of hearts.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Oh yes my bad. He's prob got the K hearts or J hearts.
  • edited October 2013
    dont' bluff stations :)

line is good though
  • edited October 2013
    Hmmm...

Thread question: "How do you like my bluff?"

Second paragraph: "Oh btw, the villain is a massive calling station."

How do we like the bluff when the thread is framed that way, F_Ivanovic?

We think the villain's likely range for donking the flop is Ax and flush draws and neither of those are folding the turn. That leaves me not liking the raise on the turn. If he's not folding the turn, he's not folding a blank river so I don't like betting the river, especially when it's just for 2/3 of the pot.
  • edited October 2013
    Did I say villain was a massive calling station? :) No - I merely pointed out that he made a light call down versus me. I hadn't seen anything else strange from him to make me think he was a calling station. He may have had notes on me in the past from when I was playing a crazy LAG style but having played more hands with me this session he's probably realised I'm playing pretty tight and have yet to be caught bluffing. So he's adjusted to that and is probably not going to call me down light again.

By the river I'm pretty sure he has an Ax hand probably with a heart (may have 2 pair) and think I can get him to fold. Maybe I've used way too many assumptions here but I just didn't see villain as a calling station. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the previous hand but I know that when I bluff-catch vs someone and see they're really strong I'm less inclined to bluff catch in the future vs them until I see a reason to suggest otherwise.
  • edited October 2013
    I may have been exaggerating your comments slightly, for comic effect. :)

Maybe we can raise the turn a little smaller if we intend to barrel the river. However, once they call the turn I don't think they should be folding the blank river. I think they're committed to calling us down when the draws miss, if they are a decent player, because everything they were beating on the turn they're still beating on the river. (Maybe we can level players we have more history with?)

So I like this slightly bigger turn raise but think we need to give up on the river.
  • edited October 2013

Agree that turn raise could possibly be smaller. I think though that if I'm raising turn I have to be shoving river, otherwise the turn raise is just spew. A lot of players will call turn "to keep them honest" but then fold facing more pressure. Plus he could have a lot of pair + flush draws that might call the turn raise because they think they have outs if behind but then fold to the river bet.

What kind of range would you put me on when I take this line btw? I think this is one of the only bluffs in my range here and everything else is a value hand; either a set/flush. (more likely a flush as don't have many sets in my range either)

• edited October 2013
    Yeah, I'd agree that you're representing flushes here more than anything. Basically you're looking like the near-nuts or nothing.

That's the reason I'd say that a decent player (a bit of a subjective term, I suppose) shouldn't be calling the turn and folding the river. You were either bluffing the turn or you had a flush. The same is true on the river. It just depends on your image; how much credit they can give you for taking this line with a bluff, and how often do we think they're going to be a bit meek about things facing another barrel?

Certainly there are people who will call the turn and fold river. I don't think they should, mind you. Do you have reason to believe this player is one of those? It is only 2/3 pot, after all.

I guess you're right though; they could be calling turn with an AxXh hand and be willing to fold river. How big a part of their range is that on the turn? It has to be a pretty big heart, you'd think.
  • edited October 2013
    I agree you have to bluff river to complete the story but the only thing that worries you is that he will call you down

below clearly suggest you shouldn't be bluffing a lot verus this villian

"Only thing I'm worried about is this: earlier in the session he calls 3bet w A9, donks a A56 flop 3 way, calls my raise. Then he calls my shove on a K turn which brings flush (he had no FD) and he has A9 (no fd) - that being said I thought the fact I showed up with AA here might make him believe I'm more likely to have it here?"

So vill ain't folding an ace, may fold pr with heart or something like KhJx

but whole line is same as this "calls 3bet w A9, donks a A56 flop 3 way" so it's pretty obvious they have an Ace
  • edited October 2013

This would be true if whenever you 2 barreled you always followed up with a 3 barrel. However, a lot of time you might fire 2 barrels and realise it's probably best to shut down. Either because you now can't see a value bet being called by worse or because the board ran out in such a way that you're sure opponent will call a 3rd barrel too often. A lot of players on sky tend to have a high 2 barrel but low 3 barrel - meaning you can exploit this by folding to their 3 barrels but calling their 2 barrels.

I do lack enough reads here though to know too much about my opponent so I may very well be making a bad play here. I was playing well though at the time and with a clean image where the only time I got my stack in was with a set of aces I thought I could get away with a nicely timed bluff. Villain DID fold though after a small tank. I think in future though I probably need slightly more reads before making this play against a relative unknown!

• edited October 2013

I'd say you're right that there are plenty of times people fire a second barrel and give up on the river and some people will therefore fold when you do barrel the river... I think you're starting to level yourself there, though, without more specific history. If I'm the villain, I'm not calling turn and folding the river unless I know you're giving up your bluffs a high proportion of the time. Otherwise I'm expecting the river bet to come more often than not.

You put him in a really tough spot with your raise on the turn. When he calls that, it's not as tough a spot you can put him in on the river. You already leveraged your stack against him with your turn raise, I think, and he still called. That's what makes a smaller turn raise better; we still leverage our stack on the turn but can do so more cheaply. If we think the villain is one of those "call here and see what you do" types, we leave ourselves a bigger SPR to bet on the river, too.

What do I know, though? It got through so maybe I'm wrong about these things. Perhaps more people call to reassess your play on the river than I think, rather than calling with a clear idea about what they're going to do... or maybe he just missed his Kh draw.

• edited October 2013

You make some good points ,but like I said I think the majority of my range is flushes with very few bluffs. Maybe he's calling turn with sets/2 pairs because he hopes to boat up on the river? These hands along with Axh hands that call turn to see if they hit their flush OTR make up a lot of hands that he might call turn but fold river.

If you had a set on the turn and thought I had a flush, you'd surely want to call because of the odds but then c/fold on the river? Maybe he still calls sets OTR, I don't really know. Be interesting to see what villain actually folded, but alas will probably never know!

• edited October 2013
    You make some good points ,but like I said I think the majority of my range is flushes with very few bluffs. Maybe he's calling turn with sets/2 pairs because he hopes to boat up on the river? These hands along with Axh hands that call turn to see if they hit their flush OTR make up a lot of hands that he might call turn but fold river. If you had a set on the turn and thought I had a flush, you'd surely want to call because of the odds but then c/fold on the river? Maybe he still calls sets OTR, I don't really know. Be interesting to see what villain actually folded, but alas will probably never know!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    This is fair. 55 and TT probably play up to the turn the same way. That's still not a huge number of hands, though. As you say, we don't really know if he's folding the river anyway.

The river bet is definitely defensible (defendable?) but I think it's more likely to be -EV than +EV in the long run without clear reads. Again, that depends on your feel of how often people call turn to see what you do on the river.
  • edited October 2013
    This would be true if whenever you 2 barreled you always followed up with a 3 barrel. However, a lot of time you might fire 2 barrels and realise it's probably best to shut down. Either because you now can't see a value bet being called by worse or because the board ran out in such a way that you're sure opponent will call a 3rd barrel too often. A lot of players on sky tend to have a high 2 barrel but low 3 barrel - meaning you can exploit this by folding to their 3 barrels but calling their 2 barrels. I do lack enough reads here though to know too much about my opponent so I may very well be making a bad play here. I was playing well though at the time and with a clean image where the only time I got my stack in was with a set of aces I thought I could get away with a nicely timed bluff. Villain DID fold though after a small tank. I think in future though I probably need slightly more reads before making this play against a relative unknown!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Saying all that Ivan vill has been shown AA by you, so unless villian is a complete moron he should be folding now - so mayb the bluff isn't too bad providing you think he thinks you don't bluff a lot