You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Reminder - Rules on Location Names

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

We have noticed that a number of our players are still using their alternative place names in the location field. Sometimes this is with team names but this is not always the case. While it might seem like a small detail, it is important to Sky Poker to ensure these details are correct.

Part of our responsibilities as an online betting & gaming provider is to ensure that all customer information is accurate, which is why we are asking that people do not enter information that is not from their address.

There are several reasons for this, including:

·         Location details are used when contacting our customers, so we obviously need to ensure these are correct.

·         The location fields are shown to other players, the last thing we would like is to cause confusion or even possibly offense to other players

·         Longer location names have been used to affect gameplay, which is obviously unfair to other players

·         People have used them to message other players – e.g. to promote something, get round a chat ban or to directly insult others

All players are asked to ensure that their location is set to their town or city. No team names or alternative locations should be used here, even if it is something like ‘London – Team XYZ’ or ‘Leeds – Pro Shark’ or whatever. To update your town/city location, go to My Account and then My Details.

Over the course of the coming days, we will be going correcting these, but we'd appreciate your help in making this as easy as possible. If you do not want to show your location, please leave the field blank.

Once the location has been changed back, we ask that under no circumstances these are altered, unless of course you move address.

Anyone found to be misusing the location in future may have further action taken against them.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited October 2013
    "Anyone found to be misusing the location in future may have further action taken against them."

Sounds a bit menacing. What are you going to do? Send the heavies round? Maybe I don't want you knowing where I live, after all.

My location field is accurate: "The Magical Land of Treasure and Lollipops"

Other people pronounce it "Blackpool". :)
  • edited October 2013

I have changed my location details but there is one thing that i dont like though, thats being treated like some naughty boy for putting a fun location name in my details.
         My location details have been the same for the last 3 years & as far as im aware nobody has ever taken offense to them, you have stated that " further action would be taken " does this action  include standing in the naughty corner or staying behind after a game for 30 minutes.
          This site is for over 18s please try & treat us as adults..... Thank you.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names:
    "Anyone found to be misusing the location in future may have further action taken against them." Sounds a bit menacing. What are you going to do? Send the heavies round? Maybe I don't want you knowing where I live, after all. My location field is accurate: "The Magical Land of Treasure and Lollipops" Other people pronounce it "Blackpool". :)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Not at all, it's just that if some people keep changing it back we can't keep going around in circles.

Something tells us that a letter to the 'Magical Land of Treasure and Lolipops' wouldnt get there if we posted you a letter! Nice try though.
  • edited October 2013
         I have changed my location details but there is one thing that i dont like though, thats being treated like some naughty boy for putting a fun location name in my details.      My location details have been the same for the last 3 years & as far as im aware nobody has ever taken offense to them, you have stated that " further action would be taken " does this action  include standing in the naughty corner or staying behind after a game for 30 minutes.       This site is for over 18s please try & treat us as adults..... Thank you.
    Posted by chew07
    It's not about treating people as a 'naughty boy' far from it.

Nor is it just about taking offense as we clearly mentioned above.

At the end of the day we are doing this for valid reasons.
  • edited October 2013
    Whilst we are on the subject do you police screen names too , as i saw one quite rude one this morning , and these are more visible than locations to all.

Wouldn't think Anna would read it out on TV!

Orford might though as he's quite childish :-)))
    (only kidding Rich)
  • edited October 2013
    Whilst we are on the subject do you police screen names too , as i saw one quite rude one this morning , and these are more visible than locations to all. Wouldn't think Anna would read it out on TV! Orford might though as he's quite childish :-))) (only kidding Rich)
    Posted by VespaPX
    100% and this is something we appreciate help on.

We obviously do have processes but it's impossible to block all the 'creative' versions people come up with. If you do spot anything innapropriate, please PM us or even better contact customer care.

Thank you.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : Not at all, it's just that if some people keep changing it back we can't keep going around in circles. Something tells us that a letter to the 'Magical Land of Treasure and Lolipops' wouldnt get there if we posted you a letter! Nice try though.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    You have less faith in the post office than I do.

My location field is and always has been just "Blackpool" btw.
  • edited October 2013
    Can you change Redmond Lee's screen name please? as I find "lolufold" quite offensive....especially as thats all I do most of the time. It feels like he's laughing at me and it's really quite tilting :)

Also.......

Can you make sure Sky_Santa & Sky_Elf have the correct location.........

As I need to make sure my X'mas wish list arrives promptly :)
  • edited October 2013
    Sky can you add an option to hide location on tables then. For some people I'm sure having their location blasted over the internet might not be that appealing, and for others it might even put them off main events because they don't want their location blasted over channel 861. 

• edited October 2013
    Sky can you add an option to hide location on tables then. For some people I'm sure having their location blasted over the internet might not be that appealing, and for others it might even put them off main events because they don't want their location blasted over channel 861. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Its not like they give out your postcode or anything.  My only annoyance is when its long enough to hide how many chips they have in their stack.

Im sure place names are put up to promote discussion on the table as few people would have anything other to say other than.... oh you're from soandso too?
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by The_Don90
    Copied from OP

"If you do not want to show your location, please leave the field blank."

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : Its not like they give out your postcode or anything.  My only annoyance is when its long enough to hide how many chips they have in their stack. Im sure place names are put up to promote discussion on the table as few people would have anything other to say other than.... oh you're from soandso too?
    Posted by gazza127
    Fwiw i don't mind but i know people that do. 

How is a blank location different from having "magical world of lollypops" as your location? 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : Fwiw i don't mind but i know people that do.  How is a blank location different from having "magical world of lollypops" as your location? 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Well this would cover the chip stack when in a hand clearly :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : Fwiw i don't mind but i know people that do.  How is a blank location different from having "magical world of lollypops" as your location? 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Excuse me, but it's "The Magical Land Of Treasure And Lollipops".

You won't find "magical world of lollypops" on a map, if you're looking for it. I can promise you that.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm sure the magical world of lollypops was where Kojak was set in the 70s
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : Its not like they give out your postcode or anything.  My only annoyance is when its long enough to hide how many chips they have in their stack. Im sure place names are put up to promote discussion on the table as few people would have anything other to say other than.... oh you're from soandso too?
    Posted by gazza127
    Hi gazza

Whilst the majority of the time most sensible players use it as a starting point to chat at the tables, I've also seen the location used to abuse players.......usually belittling players due to their local football teams or just trashing the area they live in.

It's really quite bewildering sometimes how low some people will sink to abuse other players and try to tilt them at the tables and whilst there is NO excuse for this type of behaviour......I think the less information/ammunition we give them about players at the table the better.

Locations on most other poker sites is usually kept to their Country...eg UK.

Some players genuinely feel uncomfortable about showing their location in the form of a Town or City, just the same way as some players feel more comfortable using a male instead of a female avatar or visa versa.

A simple "Check Box" to show or hide location could be an option. Also if the address field on the sign up page was in the form of a drop down menu this would resolve many issues too........unless a player lives in a town or city that has the longest name in the world lol.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : You have less faith in the post office than I do. My location field is and always has been just "Blackpool" btw.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I hesitate to correct you but it's Royal Mail that delivers letters not the Post Office. They are quite separate entities as demonstrated by the fact that the government is selling off Royal Mail but not the Post Office network.

I work for Royal Mail, by the way, and I appreciate your faith in us.

Cheers mate.
  • edited October 2013
    Can we have Team Avatars then  sky poker teams obviously Thanks
  • edited October 2013

M

onkey town is where I am from...Its a nickname given to the place I live (Heywood)

Google it its true - though it does sound bs..

Changed it now so dont be worrying :))

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Reminder - Rules on Location Names:

For real?  Jobsworths really are alive and kicking.   “Part of our responsibilities as an online betting & gaming provider is to ensure that all customer information is accurate, which is why we are asking that people do not enter information that is not from their address”………..OK everyone is using an alias, this is not a real name, so how it can possibly matter at all where someone comes from? Call yourself what you like, but don’t mislead about location.  What about all the gender benders out there taking avatars of the opposite sex.  Hang on a minute, do you look like your avatar – if not you’re displaying inaccurate customer information.  C’mon Sky – if name, sex and picture can be changed, location doesn’t matter. “Location details are used when contacting our customers, so we obviously need to ensure these are correct” – Why then are you saying it is OK to leave the location blank?“The location fields are shown to other players, the last thing we would like is to cause confusion or even possibly offense to other players” – then deal with it as you would with inappropriate aliases or chat.“Longer location names have been used to affect gameplay, which is obviously unfair to other players” – Really? How?“People have used them to message other players” see two points above Instead of having a go at the players, just stop displaying location information – SIMPLE.  Then no one would need to change their genuine location.
  • edited October 2013
    Or just people put their location in the "location" field.
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by gazza127
      will the new software cure this problem?sky
    good post lonesome the answer is simple
  • edited October 2013
    I came across a few forum regulars tonight who are using long location names to cover up their stack size, some even have which team they are in put down or what colour they were in for the Poker Premiership a few weeks ago, pretty pathetic if you ask me. Just stick your town/city down using only one line, no biggy is it?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Reminder - Rules on Location Names : For real?   Jobsworths really are alive and kicking.     “Part of our responsibilities as an online betting & gaming provider is to ensure that all customer information is accurate, which is why we are asking that people do not enter information that is not from their address”………..OK everyone is using an alias, this is not a real name, so how it can possibly matter at all where someone comes from? Call yourself what you like, but don’t mislead about location.   What about all the gender benders out there taking avatars of the opposite sex.   Hang on a minute, do you look like your avatar – if not you’re displaying inaccurate customer information.   C’mon Sky – if name, sex and picture can be changed, location doesn’t matter.   “Location details are used when contacting our customers, so we obviously need to ensure these are correct” – Why then are you saying it is OK to leave the location blank? “The location fields are shown to other players, the last thing we would like is to cause confusion or even possibly offense to other players” – then deal with it as you would with inappropriate aliases or chat. “Longer location names have been used to affect gameplay, which is obviously unfair to other players” – Really? How? “People have used them to message other players” see two points above   Instead of having a go at the players, just stop displaying location information – SIMPLE.   Then no one would need to change their genuine location.
    Posted by lonesome

Sorry but you are confusing issues over overtly gameplay related aliases and avatars with the other issues we have clearly highlighted - especially the changing of information pertaining to people's account. To say we are 'jobsworths' is not correct. There is no legitimate reason for changing the information the way people do and it is a problem (not just our view) which needs resolving. 

We do not want to block customer's location (players can if they feel that strongly) as many people like it. It's a good community builder and conversation starter.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Reminder - Rules on Location Names : Hi gazza Whilst the majority of the time most sensible players use it as a starting point to chat at the tables, I've also seen the location used to abuse players.......usually belittling players due to their local football teams or just trashing the area they live in. It's really quite bewildering sometimes how low some people will sink to abuse other players and try to tilt them at the tables and whilst there is NO excuse for this type of behaviour......I think the less information/ammunition we give them about players at the table the better. Locations on most other poker sites is usually kept to their Country...eg UK. Some players genuinely feel uncomfortable about showing their location in the form of a Town or City, just the same way as some players feel more comfortable using a male instead of a female avatar or visa versa. A simple "Check Box" to show or hide location could be an option. Also if the address field on the sign up page was in the form of a drop down menu this would resolve many issues too........unless a player lives in a town or city that has the longest name in the world lol.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Some good points in here Trev, thanks.