You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are Micro DYM's Beatable??

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
This post has probably been made before but cudnt for the life of me find one.

Im a cash player but with the double points sng just around the corner i will be spending next week playing £5.50 DYM's, provided they are beatable.

Any replies from DYM regs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Johnconnor done a guide a while back, ill try find a link for you. 
  • edited October 2013
    I guess I fit your criteria.
    I've played just under 7000 games now at an average stake of £6

Yep, they're beatable, just need to put the volume in.
    How many tables you planning on playing?
    If you make a profit at the games plus decent rakeback points they're certainly worthwhile.
  • edited October 2013
    I just can't adapt to them and am a big losing player at dyms but a winning player at cash and mtts.
    I just can't adjust grrrer
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable??:
    I guess I fit your criteria. I've played just under 7000 games now at an average stake of £6 Yep, they're beatable, just need to put the volume in. How many tables you planning on playing? If you make a profit at the games plus decent rakeback points they're certainly worthwhile.
    Posted by Jac35
    Yea just sharkscoped u, very nice.

Plan is to 8 table them and try to play 100 games a day, so 500 games = 5000 pts plus hopefully profit.

is 100 games a day easily doable?

Thanks for the response,

Stu
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : Yea just sharkscoped u, very nice. Plan is to 8 table them and try to play 100 games a day, so 500 games = 5000 pts plus hopefully profit. is 100 games a day easily doable? Thanks for the response, Stu
    Posted by Dumbmofo
    Ta

Yeah, it would be doable playing 10 tables but would still take a fair few hours. No doubt the traffic will be higher than usual so the games will fill up quicker. You might be able average about 12 games and hour.

I think the most I've done in a day is about 75 and that was tough going. I'm a bit of a lightweight though!
  • edited October 2013
    People get too excited by points, beat the games ou play and points are just a bonus IMO but some players just to for points lol
  • edited October 2013
    People get too excited by points, beat the games ou play and points are just a bonus IMO but some players just to for points lol
    Posted by macapaca
    Off course beating the game is the most important thing. 
    However, the points should be a consideration as well when looking at playing these..
    It's almost as if there's a kind of stigma attached to anyone wanting to make a decent amount in Rakeback each month. Don't understand it at all.
  • edited October 2013
    Personally prefer Six Max STTs with winnings weighted to 1st place - suits my style and the rake is lower. However just don't get enough of them. Hopefully will get more next week.

Grinding up from a small bankroll atm so wont be on £3-£5 next week. JohnConnor always seemed to be on when I was a while ago.

Not much value playing them through the day imo - 6-10 next week should be happy hunting ground though.

Took me a while to adjust to DYMs.

Tighter than usual ABC poker early doors then pick your moments and opponents to shove once blinds are up - In other words damn boring but quite formulaic and suited to multi-table grinding.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : Off course beating the game is the most important thing.  However, the points should be a consideration as well when looking at playing these.. It's almost as if there's a kind of stigma attached to anyone wanting to make a decent amount in Rakeback each month. Don't understand it at all.
    Posted by Jac35
    No I agree with going for points if beating the game but I know of a few players that play loads of volume for points and not beating the game, that is what I don't understand.
    I understand going for points if beating the game as its free money ftw
  • edited October 2013
    Personally prefer Six Max STTs with winnings weighted to 1st place - suits my style and the rake is lower. However just don't get enough of them. Hopefully will get more next week. Grinding up from a small bankroll atm so wont be on £3-£5 next week. JohnConnor always seemed to be on when I was a while ago. Not much value playing them through the day imo - 6-10 next week should be happy hunting ground though. Took me a while to adjust to DYMs. Tighter than usual ABC poker early doors then pick your moments and opponents to shove once blinds are up - In other words damn boring but quite formulaic and suited to multi-table grinding.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yeah your strategy is right but I'm a action junkie lol
    So defo not suited for dyms lol
    #mustadjust
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : No I agree with going for points if beating the game but I know of a few players that play loads of volume for points and not beating the game, that is what I don't understand. I understand going for points if beating the game as its free money ftw
    Posted by macapaca
    Sorry Macapaca.
    Didn't mean to sound harsh. 

Yeah, I do know what you mean. I sometimes look at the stats of some of the real grinders and wonder if it's worth it. Not much point making £1000 in points a month if you lose £1200 at the games.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : Sorry Macapaca. Didn't mean to sound harsh.  Yeah, I do know what you mean. I sometimes look at the stats of some of the real grinders and wonder if it's worth it. Not much point making £1000 in points a month if you lose £1200 at the games.
    Posted by Jac35
    Big +1
  • edited October 2013
    Some common exploitable mistakes in DYMs

1. Start too loose - unbelievable but some still start off like its a B/H or rebuy and want to chip up early - you definitely don't want to be racing early doors. Tighten up and pick up some chips off the loose gooses.

2. Stay tight too long - There are some players who don't seem to adjust their ranges as the blinds go up - great for taking chips with blind steals and cbets.

3. Hanging on for the place - seen some amazing stack sizes fold their blinds when they should be in with any 2.

Played one tonight and shortie left 35 chips behind to a raise?

Plus

Remember 123 places are the same payout don't be a hero if you are chipped up - let the shorties fight it out!

Keep track of stack sizes especially when down to 4 players. If 2 similar size stacks go to war let them, fold especially if you have AA and are the short stack!

Good tip for multi-tabling - move tables around based on stage of tourney.

I go left to right for low levels to high levels and up/down for low stack/big stack.

Helps you focus on the tables where you have the most to think about! (low and mid stack mid stages) LHS is where you have all the post flop play to worry about and RHS is shove/fold territory.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : Off course beating the game is the most important thing.  However, the points should be a consideration as well when looking at playing these.. It's almost as if there's a kind of stigma attached to anyone wanting to make a decent amount in Rakeback each month. Don't understand it at all.
    Posted by Jac35
    +1
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : Big +1
    Posted by macapaca
    Wow, there cant be many of these surely?  That would be 30k points and a losing player.  
  • edited October 2013
    rather stroke me gooch for 5 hours straight than play dyms, they have ruined my roi on here.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Are Micro DYM's Beatable?? : Yeah your strategy is right but I'm a action junkie lol So defo not suited for dyms lol #mustadjust
    Posted by macapaca
    I'm not suited to them either - don't have enough stats to say whether I beat the game yet  - but have switched from losing to winning by working out how to play them - then realising just how I much I hate them!

The rake is harsh and with no value in having a big enough edge to get 1st more often than 3rd I don't see the point in them tbh.

Only problem is if you want STTs and volume they are your only realistic option on this site.

I know I can hit a good roi on STTs - used to smash 8 and 10 seaters on another site - took me a while to adjust to 6 seats and 2 place payouts here then those pesky DYMs kicked in.
  • edited October 2013
    I wouldn't' class £5.50s as micro, just cos it's £3.30+ where the rake gets to an acceptable 10%

Below that when rake is more than 10% it would be very hard to beat them by very much long term imo. £3.30 and £5.50s are definitely beatable though.

On the C4P thing, I think DYMs are one of the few games where you do really need to take into account rakeback because you will be paying an absolute ton of rake with such a small edge in the games that the rakeback will be a big deal.

Say you play 500 x £5.50 DYMs and have 5% ROI = £137.50 profit

500 x £5.50 DYMs = 2500 points (5000 points for double week). 5000 points = £100 rakeback.

So even if you have a very good ROI, you won't make much more profit than you would rakeback so it can't be ignored.
  • edited October 2013
    I wouldn't' class £5.50s as micro, just cos it's £3.30+ where the rake gets to an acceptable 10% Below that when rake is more than 10% it would be very hard to beat them by very much long term imo. £3.30 and £5.50s are definitely beatable though. On the C4P thing, I think DYMs are one of the few games where you do really need to take into account rakeback because you will be paying an absolute ton of rake with such a small edge in the games that the rakeback will be a big deal. Say you play 500 x £5.50 DYMs and have 5% ROI = £137.50 profit 500 x £5.50 DYMs = 2500 points (5000 points for double week). 5000 points = £100 rakeback. So even if you have a very good ROI, you won't make much more profit than you would rakeback so it can't be ignored.
    Posted by Lambert180
    THIS.

As part of the diary I'm doing, I'm playing 25p Turbo DYM's and despite only doing this for one day, I can tell the rake is killing me ... played 9 yesterday; won 6, lost 3 - that's only 30p profit!

I would say they are beatable if you can have a high win % (by win I mean a top three finish obviously) - but it is much easier the higher stakes you play at!
  • edited October 2013
    what phantom said basically 

play tight abc early stages then by level 4-5 should be 4 left all about survival shove or fold time pick ya spots to survive but if u have a big stack at this point by level 4-5 sit bk smoke a cigar let the others battle it out