You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Picking big draws up on the turn after barrelling 2 streets,

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys, I have come to realise 1 of my big leaks in poker is playing marginal hands out of position, example, I have 28 bbs and Kj off utg plus 1 on a 6 max table, I open to just over min with a call from the button, I brick the flop q58 but i decide to c bet, the button calls, 10 on the turn, I pick this draw up and I find myself barrelling 60 percent of the pot on the turn, he tank calls, river is a total brick, I ship my full stack and he snaps with top pair. I find myself making this mistake time after time and it must be so easy for the opponent to snap as your repping a massive hand and Im pretty aggro anyway so my raisers dont get much respect, Anyway I find myself doing this an awful lot, I never want to be check calling the turn as most of the time I am getting priced out of the pot, any advice will it be more profitable over time to give up on the turn and hope to get a free card if not give up ? although alot of people are floating in position with total air ???

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Completely player dependent... the idea of a semi bluff which is what you'd be diong on the turn is that sometimes you make them fold, if you don't think they're ever folding the turn after calling the flop then betting would be a fail.

FWIW though, in deep stages of MTTs, loads of people will call one and fold the turn. I'm definitely barrelling the turn when I pick up an OESD

Tbh, it sounds to me like your leak is shoving the river....

start with 28xBB

min raise (2xBB)
    pot is now about 5xBB so we bet (2.5xBB)
    pot is now 10xBB so we bet (5xBB)

We've got to the river and put 9.5xBB in the middle and still have almost 20xBB behind. I think it would be a pretty bad spot to ever try bluffing on the runout you've mentioned (and definitely never ever shoving), just check/fold and we still have a really decent stack.
  • edited October 2013
    I wouldn't say it's a leak because you might be forgetting about all the times you 3 barrel bluff and get it through. But yeah, if your image is percieved to be aggro you probably should be selective in what hands you double/triple barrel with and on what board textures. Barreling KJ OTT is fine in general but if your barelling a whole selection of other hands as a bluff then that would be the mistake. 
  • edited October 2013
    Its good to be barrelling narrower ranges down the streets, so betting turns when you pick up equity helps keep your frequencies correct whilst keeping your range strong. Looks like you are just betting your entire turn range on the rivet. Your oppenent had called two streets and they can call often against your range. If you are playing a decent opponent and making a pot sized bets on the river then you should have twice as many value hands as bluffs in your range, if you want to bluff more then you need to include more hands in your potsized value range. Ie top pair, weak two pairs etc.

If youre potting your entire turn betting range on the river and only strong value hands such as sets then you are unbalanced.  Either value bet thinner or bluff less often.

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    You need to be including more value hands in your range on turn and river - not just airballs/backdoor equity and the occasional top end of value