You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

thoughts please

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
the major problem with me and MTT's at the minute is when it get to the stage where stacks are short and villians limp into the pot. it's if i then loose it i am left asking myself should i have jammed preflop rather than check or should i have folded preflop rather than jam and should i have jammed preflop rather than fold. 

when i watched sky TV on Thursday even the main event had lots of short stack limpers so these decision i think will get more and more common.

when it's hands such as AA-77 and AK-A10 the decision is easy and i can take it.

but if i have hands such as KQ KJ QJ A5s-A9s and low pairs will a shove preflop be the right thing to do or should i just play them cautiously. 
curbcrawle Small blind  500.00 500.00 8871.25
james84 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 7370.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

xCall  1000.00 2500.00 20546.25
CJSDAD Fold     
craigcu12 All-in  6600.00 9100.00 0.00
curbcrawle Fold     
james84 Fold     
xCall  5600.00 14700.00 14946.25
xShow
  • K

craigcu12 Show
  • J
  • Q

Flop

• K
  • Q
  • K

Turn

River

• A

xWin Three Kings 14700.00  29646.25
xSmall blind  75.00 75.00 3400.00
craigcu12 Big blind  150.00 225.00 2200.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

zCall  150.00 375.00 1650.00
tazt Fold     
yCall  150.00 525.00 775.00
bigdaves23 Fold     
xCall  75.00 600.00 3325.00
craigcu12 Check     
Flop

• A

xCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  150.00 750.00 2050.00
zFold     
yFold     
xRaise  600.00 1350.00 2725.00
craigcu12 All-in  2050.00 3400.00 0.00
xCall  1600.00 5000.00 1125.00
xShow

craigcu12 Show
  • A

Turn

River

xWin Three 2s 5000.00  6125.00

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Hand 1 I'm folding.  If it's folded around to us then it's an easy shove, but we're virtually always going to get called by the limper and more often than not we'll be behind.  When shoving you need to be open-shoving, not shoving over the top of someone when your stack is so shallow as you're going to get a caller so for this you need a stronger hand.

Hand 2, this is a perfect squeeze opportunity.  The original limper will more than likely fold (depends what reads you have on him as to what he limps utg with) and if player Y had anything remotely decent he would of been shoving his 6bb stack.  Now we may get a call from him, but we will virtually always be ahead of his range.
  • edited October 2013
    i'm playing the hands exactly the same as you craig. might possibly fold the 2nd one to the check raise but it would depend on what reads of villain.

I disagree with double here I think you are getting a lot of folds from the limper in hand 1 - he has to call 25% of his stack with k3 here. The fact he limped k3 shows he doesn't have a clue to begin with so qj suited is probably never in that bad a shape against him anyway. Plus with only 6bb's left we need to double up so probably worth the punt. What would he be limping that would see us that far behind really?! surely he raises AQ, KQ, AJ, KJ.

I could be miles out as I suck at mtt's but i'm playing it the same apart from perhaps folding hand 2 lol
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 1...unless we've seen the villain limp trap with strong hands then I'm shipping here all day long. Vs his limping range we can sometimes be ahead, and it's unlikely we'll be in bad shape if called. We need a double up, this is a great hand to try and get it.

Hand 2...I probably go broke here as well, but in a slightly different way; check call that flop and look to get it in when we hit top 2. Pretty unlucky we have walked into a set.

DoubleAAA, you're range is all over the place judging from previous comments in the clinic.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 1 same as Harry/Bob/hh whatever his name is.

Hand 2 Bet at least 300 on flop 150 seems weak. I'm thinking with no raise pre I could be ahead here but if someone comes over the top I can still get away with 10+ bbs for a better spot.

AAA keep posting man always good to consider alternative strategy's.
  • edited October 2013
    What range do we put the utg limper on?  Work out his range and then we can decide properly if we can profitably shove over the top.  If one of you could give a reasonable limping range for the utg that would be good for us to have a framwork to work on.

How does this limping range sound for him based that we have no reads at all on the utg.

22-66
    A2s-A8s
    78s-QJs
    KTs,KJs
    KJo

This gives us 48.8% vs 51.1%
  • edited October 2013

In the first hand when we shove we know we're going to be called. We have to ask ourselves what the limper's range therefore is. We're effectively calling all-in with pot-odds of 45%.

If we assume that the villain is unlikely to limp his premium hands or AQ, AJ, KQ hands, then were never likely to be dominated and only behind against his Ax and Kx hands as a 40% dog. If he's got lots of underpairs, suited connectors and weaker Qx and Jx hands we should get it in because we're likely to be a favourite against his range.

If he only limps pairs and Ax or Kx hands, then we have a problem. Our pot odds are still 45% but we have to consider whether we have fold equity in future situations. If we can fold here and shove the next unopened pot with ATC and believe we have decent fold equity, then that's what we should do. There may also be reason to occasionally suspect that the limper is holding a monster, if this is a bounty hunter tournament or if we've seen them limp monsters before.

Hand 2: I think we should shove pre-flop. We should probably assume that the limpers aren't holding premium hands so the only hands that dominate us are perhaps AJ, AT, A9, 88, 99, TT. That's not a lot of hands and plenty of players will fold those 88, 99, AT and A9 hands to our shove, so we do have fold equity against some better hands.

So when we shove we shouldn't expect to be called very often at all and, when we are, we shouldn't expect to be in rough shape. The huge majority of the time we add more than 25% to our stack without a showdown.

Hand 2 should definitely be a pre-flop shove, in my opinion.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: thoughts please:
    In the first hand when we shove we know we're going to be called. We have to ask ourselves what the limper's range therefore is. We're effectively calling all-in with pot-odds of 45%. If we assume that the villain is unlikely to limp his premium hands or AQ, AJ, KQ hands, then were never likely to be dominated and only behind against his Ax and Kx hands as a 40% dog. If he's got lots of underpairs, suited connectors and weaker Qx and Jx hands we should get it in because we're likely to be a favourite against his range. If he only limps pairs and Ax or Kx hands, then we have a problem. Our pot odds are still 45% but we have to consider whether we have fold equity in situations. If we can fold here and shove the next unopened pot with ATC and believe we have decent fold equity, then that's what we should do. There may also be reason to occasionally suspect that the limper is holding a monster, if this is a bounty hunter tournament or if we've seen them limp monsters before. Hand 2: I think we should shove pre-flop. We should probably assume that the limpers aren't holding premium hands so the only hands that dominate us are perhaps AJ, AT, A9, 88, 99, TT. That's not a lot of hands and plenty of players will fold those 88, 99, AT and A9 hands to our shove, so we do have fold equity against some better hands. So when we shove we shouldn't expect to be called very often at all and, when we are, we shouldn't expect to be in rough shape. The huge majority of the time we add more than 25% to our stack without a showdown. Hand 2 should definitely be a pre-flop shove, in my opinion.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Does this sound as though we finally agree on how to play these hands! :)
  • edited October 2013
    See the second hand is one were I probably play too tight

The second guy has limp called from 7 bb stack so clearly he doesn't have a clue and literally could have anything and I think we get called here by small pairs a lot. Do we really need/want to take this risk when we still have a 15 bb stack? If we had say 10bb stack I'm shoving every time.

Also we're almost certainly getting 1 caller but we might even get two given the lowish stack of the utg limper- that would be a disaster for us surely?
  • edited October 2013
    See the second hand is one were I probably play too tight The second guy has limp called from 7 bb stack so clearly he doesn't have a clue and literally could have anything and I think we get called here by small pairs a lot. Do we really need/want to take this risk when we still have a 15 bb stack? If we had say 10bb stack I'm shoving every time. Also we're almost certainly getting 1 caller but we might even get two given the lowish stack of the utg limper- that would be a disaster for us surely?
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Hand 2:

There is already 600 in the pot, if we squeeze here and the shorty calls our shove there will be 1375 + our 775.  We need to be good here 36% of the time.

Here is a limping range I have assigned what do you think, is this a fair limping range for a clueless person?

77-22,A9s,A7s-A2s,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,KQo

This makes us 54.2% vs 45.7%

If he folds we collect 600 chips, just over 25% of our stack gained.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 2. Why don't we just raise half our stack? Seems like a viable option.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: thoughts please : Hand 2: There is already 600 in the pot, if we squeeze here and the shorty calls our shove there will be 1375 + our 775.  We need to be good here 36% of the time. Here is a limping range I have assigned what do you think, is this a fair limping range for a clueless person? 77-22,A9s,A7s-A2s,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,KQo This makes us 54.2% vs 45.7% If he folds we collect 600 chips, just over 25% of our stack gained.
    Posted by DoubleAAA

With the shorty limping with a 7bb stack to me you can't put him on a range he could have anything! The utg limpers range I would say is a lot wider than you describe - I don't think you can rule out 88, 99, 10s or even aa. He might be a poor player slow playing hoping to get a big win with the aa. Also I wouldn't rule out kj, qj suited and unsuited. Hard for me to accurately put a range on him knowing nothing about him apart from the fact he's limped utg with a 11bb stack.

I think we take the pot uncontested here less than 1 in 10 times but get 2 callers at least 3/4 times (especially if it's a bh)

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: thoughts please : With the shorty limping with a 7bb stack to me you can't put him on a range he could have anything! The utg limpers range I would say is a lot wider than you describe - I don't think you can rule out 88, 99, 10s or even aa. He might be a poor player slow playing hoping to get a big win with the aa. Also I wouldn't rule out kj, qj suited and unsuited. Hard for me to accurately put a range on him knowing nothing about him apart from the fact he's limped utg with a 11bb stack. I think we take the pot uncontested here less than 1 in 10 times but get 2 callers at least 3/4 times (especially if it's a bh)
    Posted by jdsallstar
    So you think the utg limper in hand 2 is calling us 9 out of 10 times without even being able to accurately put him on a range?

The range that I put for the utg limper is for hand 1.  The range I put for the 7bb shorty is for hand 2.  When we squeeze in hand 2, the utg limper is hardly ever going to call us unless he has limped a monster.  Obviously we have to use our reads for this.  Please specify which hand you're referring too.
  • edited October 2013
    It's all hand 2!! Hand 1 will always be an easy shove for me!

I think you will get a good few calls from utg in hand 2. We've shoved, shorty is almost certainly calling so utg might think this guy is just trying to get heads up for the bounty and overvalue their hand and it's a good chance for them to win a huge pot and take a head (especially if they have a small pair). 

I think it's virtually impossible to put the 7bb shorty on a range without reads given that their play is so bad here!

• edited October 2013

hand 2 came from a timed tournament and i think the limping was a sign that they more worried of loosing chips than gaining more so what I am thinking is the villain UTG was either hiding a premium hand or held a weak pair and didn't want to raise incase he was jammed by the 7BB shorty, the shorty probably decided to just limp in then if he hit he would jam rather than ship it preflop because rather leave the MTT with nothing atleast he would still have something.

I've got to admit if it were from a BH that is where the choice would be really hard because micro stakes get loads of head prize chasers so if i jammed with A8 it would be a real coin flip but in a sense i think that BH villians are more likely to limp with premiums.

• edited October 2013
    Hand 2. Why don't we just raise half our stack? Seems like a viable option.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lol Harry.

OP....

Hand 1 = shove

Hand 2 = shove

wp
  • edited October 2013
    Dont understand your thought process about the BH bit Craig....

You said about people chasing bounties so more of a coinflip. Well people calling light (like in BHs) makes it a much better spot to shove A8s. We're practically never gonna be better than a coin flip ish scenario, that's just the nature of A8, we aint gonna get called by A2-A7 that often (and even when we do, there are lots of chop pots happening) but we get called by loads of Kx, Qx, Jx etc with these crazy BH mo fos. And we still have good FE in this spot, not like anyone has shown any strength.

I'd avoid that 'BH villians are more likely to limp...', just take notes on the individual opponents, not on how your average timed tourney player plays or w/e
  • edited October 2013

Jdsallstar, in the second hand I think we can define the shorty's range a bit. We know that it's possible that he can have AA there, but if I ask you "Which hand is more likely in a limper's range, AsAd or JdTs?" You'd say JT... and there are 16 combinations of JT but only 6 combos of AA... and there are many more hands like JT than there are AA, KK, etc...

The same goes for the UTG limper: He might be limping a monster, but the vast majority of the time he's holding a weaker hand. We can't worry about the few times that we run into a big hand, we have to go on what is most likely.

Chances are that, even if we do get called by the short stack, we're in great shape. We won't always get called, though. Even if we only get this shove through 10% of the time, we're picking up 25% of our stack each time.

So the chances of us getting it in good, plus the amount we steal without a showdown when it gets through (even if that doesn't happen too often) should make this a very profitable shoving spot. We'd need to have specific reads on the villains' limping ranges to do anything else, I think.