You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do we do on the river?

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I had not long joined the table and didnt have notes on any of the other players. On the flop and turn I think I am ahead but I do not want to go crazy so decide to check call all the way. On the river do we ever think we are ahead now? 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dabossmanSmall blind £0.05£0.05£9.70
hard_onBig blind £0.10£0.15£10.64
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

VRaise £0.30£0.45£11.27
TheRavenFold    
DELDAVEFold    
xCall £0.30£0.75£2.21
dabossmanCall £0.25£1.00£9.45
hard_onFold    
Flop

dabossmanCheck    
VBet £0.50£1.50£10.77
xCall £0.50£2.00£1.71
dabossmanCall £0.50£2.50£8.95
Turn

dabossmanCheck    
VBet £1.40£3.90£9.37
xAll-in £1.71£5.61£0.00
dabossmanCall £1.71£7.32£7.24
VCall £0.31£7.63£9.06
River

dabossmanCheck    
VAll-in £9.06£16.69£0.00
dabossman??????

Comments

• edited October 2013

Player readless - give a quick prayer to the poker gods and call.

If villain has a 7 so be it. More worried about the higher FH with 88,TT,QQ,KK,AA from them as pre-flop raiser and lead-out better.

However I think villain has enough hands they could think they are ahead with to call (lower FH than you 7's over T,9,8,6, flush or even straight if not a great player).

Definitely think you were too passive preflop and on flop though and should have reraised both.

• edited October 2013
    Think I have to call this off although V could have us crushed with the strong line taken on every street. Also agree with Phantom re passive play.
  • edited October 2013
    I agree with the comments about being too passive pre, it was because I was opening other tables and didnt realise the hand had been dealt and only had enough time to call. My bad lol

On the flop, you would advocate re raising on that type of board? I dunno, do we not get called by all the draws under the sun and acheive nothing other than bloating the pot with a hand that could already be crushed?

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: What do we do on the river?:
    I agree with the comments about being too passive pre, it was because I was opening other tables and didnt realise the hand had been dealt and only had enough time to call. My bad lol On the flop, you would advocate re raising on that type of board? I dunno, do we not get called by all the draws under the sun and acheive nothing other than bloating the pot with a hand that could already be crushed?
    Posted by dabossman
    I would reraise there - I definitely don't want 2 opponents in the hand on such a drawing board and have to think there is still a good chance we are ahead with our overpair and can get value. If a drawing hand is going to call we want them to pay the price to do so.

Your alternative is to just call and price both opponents in to make their draw - which doesn't make sense to me.

If your opponents are the type to call any sized raise on a draw - happy days - the value comes from having them pay more than the odds they are getting to hit.

Most hands that you can make money from there is always a chance you are crushed! Would be nice to get lots of nutz v 2nd nutz hands but truth is you will get the better end of that deal as many times as the worse end.