You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Sky, Heads up Turbo Games

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
The format for the Turbo games has been completely changed.

Under the new format, blind levels start at 10/20, where it used to be 15/30. There's also other levels that have been added.

These games no longer play the same - they take far longer. I used to love playing these games, but the new format is far to slow.

I know there was a thread recently about HU S n Go's, though i didn't expect the format for Turbo games would be totally overhauled.

The old structure was far superior in my opinion, it would be good if this could be restored.  

Comments

• edited October 2013

Larsson the old turbo format still exists, it was the same as a hyper.

The turbo structure needed changing because it was almost identical to the hyper structure, as explained below.

HU hyper....500 chips

110.00 / 20.002215.00 / 30.002320.00 / 40.002425.00 / 50.002530.00 / 60.002640.00 / 80.002750.00 / 100.002
    25xbb
    17xbb
    13xbb
    10xbb

After 8 mins, 10xbb effective.

Turbo..... 1k starting stack..........

115.00 / 30.002225.00 / 50.002340.00 / 80.002450.00 / 100.002

33xbb
    20xbb
    12xbb
    10xbb

After 8 mins = 10xbb effective.

---------

As you can see there was barely any difference.

Now the turbo structure fits nicely inbetween a hyper and a speed.

If people still want the very fast paced action and a game that lasts as long as the old turbos,  then they can still get it by playing hypers.
  • edited October 2013
    Plz don't change the HU Turbos!

As Dohhh said, if you wanna play the old version of the Turbos it's still there... it's called a Hyper. Structures were almost identical in terms of how they play.

I was gonna put in a week of grinding Turbos this week but zero chance of me doing that if the structures get changed back (ruined).
  • edited October 2013
    whilst we're on the topic does anyone else get redic lag if they try to 3+ table hu sngs????? (hypers) 

Is it because of the sng promotion? or has it always been like this... its not my laptop as i'm running an i7 with 8 gig and ssd 

with two tables constantly running the lag is bearable but annoying, however 3 or more and its unpossible 
  • edited October 2013
    They are totally different.

Hypers are over rapid, in a couple of minutes.

The old turbos were sweet, and not too long. Taking about 5-7 mins maximum.

No way would a hyper ever last 5-7 minutes. Under the new format, Turbo games are going to take so much longer, hardly a turbo.

There already is an option for a long game if some one wants to start with millions of big blinds.

The critical part is the first few levels, which is gone with the new turbos. As both players have way to many big blinds.

• edited October 2013
    Larson look at Dohhh's comparison above between the old Turbo and the current Hyper...

Level 1 - A bit deeper in the old turbo but for 2 mins (what, like 10 hands max?)
    Level 2 - virtually identical
    Level 3 - virtually identical
    Level 4 - identical.

Ignore the fact one starts with 1000 and one has 500, if you just look at stack depths in terms of BBs, they are VERY close and should take a very similar amount of time and have a very similar amount of play.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky, Heads up Turbo Games:
    They are totally different. Hypers are over rapid, in a couple of minutes. The old turbos were sweet, and not too long. Taking about 5-7 mins maximum. No way would a hyper ever last 5-7 minutes. Under the new format, Turbo games are going to take so much longer, hardly a turbo. There already is an option for a long game if some one wants to start with millions of big blinds. The critical part is the first few levels, which is gone with the new turbos. As both players have way to many big blinds.
    Posted by LARSON7
    A Grand Canyon of difference ;)
  • edited October 2013
    They are totally different. Hypers are over rapid, in a couple of minutes. The old turbos were sweet, and not too long. Taking about 5-7 mins maximum. No way would a hyper ever last 5-7 minutes. Under the new format, Turbo games are going to take so much longer, hardly a turbo. There already is an option for a long game if some one wants to start with millions of big blinds. The critical part is the first few levels, which is gone with the new turbos. As both players have way to many big blinds.
    Posted by LARSON7

< 5% of hypers I played ended within 2 minutes (level 1, twenty five bbs effective)
  • edited October 2013
    Would u like this structure?

1k starting stack, 2 min levels
    120.00 / 40.002
    230.00 / 60.002
    340.00 / 80.002
    450.00 / 100.002
    560.00 / 120.002
    680.00 / 160.002
    Would that be better?
  • edited October 2013
    I've only ever played the old style turbos.

Before that, i take it the structure was similiar to what it is now, and why you are glad it's back to a longer format.

I have played 3 games under the new structure, and it's nothing what-so-ever like the old system it's way to slow.

I know where you and Dohhh are coming from about it being very similiar in the format to blinds to chipstack.

However the 1st 3 levels are crucial and in my opinion you're not comparing apples with apples.

In my eperience Hypers are over a lot quicker than Turbo's (as the turbos used to be).

If you are going to be grinding these this week, surely you would want the games to go a bit quicker to get more volume in. Where as at the moment your amount of games will be greatly reduced by the extended time it's going to take to play these due to the format.
  • edited October 2013
    No, if I wanted to get in as many games as possible I'd just play Hypers, I want to play Turbos cos there's more play and so I have a bigger edge and so I win more £££. They're also much lower variance.

The thing is, this IS comparing apples with apples. The only way you can compare is to compare the number of BBs effective in each. If you got 10xBB it doesn't matter if that's 100 chips or 100,000 chips, so it really is apples with apples.

FWIW, yes the current Turbo is what it used to be and I have no idea why they ever changed it cos they changed it to something which was virtually identical to a Hyper (hence Dohhhh's recent thread).

I agree with you, the new Turbos are slower, but that's cos Turbos are supposed to be slower than Hypers but quick than Speeds (which they now are).

Would you prefer Dohhh's structure above?
  • edited October 2013
    No, if I wanted to get in as many games as possible I'd just play Hypers, I want to play Turbos cos there's more play and so I have a bigger edge and so I win more £££. They're also much lower variance. The thing is, this IS comparing apples with apples. The only way you can compare is to compare the number of BBs effective in each. If you got 10xBB it doesn't matter if that's 100 chips or 100,000 chips, so it really is apples with apples. FWIW, yes the current Turbo is what it used to be and I have no idea why they ever changed it cos they changed it to something which was virtually identical to a Hyper (hence Dohhhh's recent thread). I agree with you, the new Turbos are slower, but that's cos Turbos are supposed to be slower than Hypers but quick than Speeds (which they now are). Would you prefer Dohhh's structure above?
    Posted by Lambert180
    The original structure.
  • edited October 2013
    Response to Re: FAO Sky, Heads up Turbo Games:
    Would u like this structure? 1k starting stack, 2 min levels 1 20.00 / 40.00 2 2 30.00 / 60.00 2 3 40.00 / 80.00 2 4 50.00 / 100.00 2 5 60.00 / 120.00 2 6 80.00 / 160.00 2 Would that be better?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This is a very good happy medium structure. And probably with having 10/20 stripped out the closest suggestion to the old turbo struc.

Larson, I think we should run with this, we can have a chat about this on Skype today.

Paul, the new turbo struc isn't the same as it used to be its slower with a few added layers. I used to play 10 games an hour a few years ago, now its 6-8 sometimes less.

I am going to have a word with prio today, it would be nice to be in agreement so that we can present a united opinion. I am happy to compromise and agree this new structure, JJ to his credit in this suggestion has.
  • edited October 2013
    Response to Re: FAO Sky, Heads up Turbo Games : This is a very good happy medium structure. And probably with having 10/20 stripped out the closest suggestion to the old turbo struc. Larson, I think we should run with this, we can have a chat about this on Skype today. Paul, the new turbo struc isn't the same as it used to be its slower with a few added layers. I used to play 10 games an hour a few years ago, now its 6-8 sometimes less. I am going to have a word with prio today, it would be nice to be in agreement so that we can present a united opinion. I am happy to compromise and agree this new structure, JJ to his credit in this suggestion has.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    loool, you fell right into it Gooner. You're blinded by how many chips you start with! The structure Doh wrote above is literally identical to a Hyper, double the starting stack of a hyper but every level is exactly the same except it's doubled so the effective stack is EXACTLY the same at every single point of the game!!

You obv want to be playing Hypers if you like this structure, because they're the same as what Turbos were a few weeks ago.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky, Heads up Turbo Games : loool, you fell right into it Gooner. You're blinded by how many chips you start with! The structure Doh wrote above is literally identical to a Hyper, double the starting stack of a hyper but every level is exactly the same except it's doubled so the effective stack is EXACTLY the same at every single point of the game!! You obv want to be playing Hypers if you like this structure, because they're the same as what Turbos were a few weeks ago.
    Posted by Lambert180
    They would play out differently with 1000 starting chips paul, they just do as I said yesterday I dont want to have any more in depth discussions about it.

I dont get why you are soo interested in hu sng structures when you are a cash reg?
  • edited October 2013
    They just don't. Why would they play differently? It's like saying level 1 of an MTT plays different if you start with 2000 chips @ 10/20 than it would with 4000 chips @ 20/40, it just won't. What dictates whether we 3x or minraise, whether we can 3bet/bluff or 3bet/fold, whether we can afford to float etc etc is how many BBs have we got.

Well I'm gonna be grinding HU SnGs this week with these new (improved imo) Turbo structures, if they change them back to essentually Hypers then I won't be playing any. Either way though, it's just better for the entire site overall to have better structures.
  • edited October 2013
    Response to Re: FAO Sky, Heads up Turbo Games : This is a very good happy medium structure. And probably with having 10/20 stripped out the closest suggestion to the old turbo struc. Larson, I think we should run with this, we can have a chat about this on Skype today. Paul, the new turbo struc isn't the same as it used to be its slower with a few added layers. I used to play 10 games an hour a few years ago, now its 6-8 sometimes less. I am going to have a word with prio today, it would be nice to be in agreement so that we can present a united opinion. I am happy to compromise and agree this new structure, JJ to his credit in this suggestion has.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I've doubled the chips, and doubled the levels of a hyper as it is now.

Amazing. Genuinely, amazing.
  • edited October 2013
    Sky should definatly look at this once this week is over and the Promo is finished.

Paul you played turbos under the old model, and now you are saying you would just stop playing them if they reverted back to what it was a couple of weeks ago?

It wouldn't be as bad if it was  a halfway house between what it was, and what it is now.

They could take out a few of the blind levels. 

Dohhhh and Paul would you be against them tweaking this to make it a bit faster than as the case just now?

Once this week is past with of course.
  • edited October 2013
    They've just been reviewed and changed for the better.

Myself and others have said on the initial thread that we'd feedback to skydave and sky about maybe tweaking a level or 2 after a few weeks of playing them. 

The main talking point being a 20/40 level, wether it should be added, and if so should it replace an existing level or not.

I'm still undecided.

I think adding 20/40 and removing 10/20 might work.

No major changes required though, it's bang in the middle of a hyper and a speed at the moment.

Much slower and it's too much like a speed, much faster and it's too much like a hyper.
  • edited October 2013
    I think they changed the Turbos maybe 3-4 months ago and I aint played HU SnGs for probably 6 months. Even when I did used to play it was always Hypers, I don't think I've ever played more than 10-15 Turbos under the structure that was recently gotten rid of.

The reason I wouldn't play them is cos I'm looking to play HU games that are a bit lower variance and have a bigger skill edge, that's why I aint playing Hypers this week. Just got sick of the swings in Hypers tbh and the old structure of Turbos will be very similar in swingyness