You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Double-Up or Out...

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
You’re a recreational poker player, and it’s always been your dream to play in the WSOP. You don’t drink anymore; you gave up smoking; you save every last penny you get that doesn’t go on food or bills. You have no social life now because everything you do is funnelled towards buying a seat at the Main Event.

Then one day, after all the sacrifices and the years of putting the rest of your life to one side, you can finally afford it. You throw down your $10,000 and take your seat. You know you won’t get another chance. You are soaking up the atmosphere. It’s amazing. You’ve never felt – or seen – anything like it. You’re in the big blind for the first hand. The action is folded around to the small blind, who immediately jumps out of his seat and shouts: “I’m all in!”, and pushes his entire stack over the line. You look at your cards. Aces.

You look around the room at the sea of faces. This is where you want to be.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    All in......... that is all.
  • edited October 2013
    It's easy to sit here and say that you're getting the money in good, that's what you're there for, but it would be harder when you're there and actually have to put your tournament life and the $10000 at risk on the very first hand
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Double-Up or Out...:
    All in......... that is all.
    Posted by a00rock
    Yeah, that is (obviously) my initial thought too, but when you factor in the rest of this guy's 'situation' I think it's possible to fold, if only so you can enjoy the experience (at least for more than ninety seconds!).
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Double-Up or Out...:
    You’re a recreational poker player, and it’s always been your dream to play in the WSOP. You don’t drink anymore; you gave up smoking; you save every last penny you get that doesn’t go on food or bills. You have no social life now because everything you do is funnelled towards buying a seat at the Main Event. Then one day, after all the sacrifices and the years of putting the rest of your life to one side, you can finally afford it. You throw down your $10,000 and take your seat. You know you won’t get another chance. You are soaking up the atmosphere. It’s amazing. You’ve never felt – or seen – anything like it. You’re in the big blind for the first hand. The action is folded around to the small blind, who immediately jumps out of his seat and shouts: “I’m all in!”, and pushes his entire stack over the line. You look at your cards. Aces. You look around the room at the sea of faces. This is where you want to be. What do you do?
    Posted by Slipwater
    If your dream is to play it, call.

If your dream is to watch other people play it, stand on the rail drinking beer and save yourself 10 grand.
  • edited October 2013
    I'd give it massive consideration for about a milli-second and then call... If you've sacrificed loads of stuff through the years to play the WSOP main event, I'd hope you would have basic enough knowledge to know you are ahead preflop when you have aces....
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Double-Up or Out... : If your dream is to play it, call. If your dream is to watch other people play it, stand on the rail drinking beer and save yourself 10 grand.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1

Presumably your dream is to win, not say that you folded every hand until you bust on day two. If you don't call, you've just paid $10k for a chair in the amazon room for a day or two. You're not playing poker.
  • edited October 2013
    Fold and wait for a better spot! PROBS GONNA GET ONE as a rec HMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE
  • edited October 2013

Lol. Yes, we know we are ahead going in (unless he has aces too), but would you not factor into your decision the sacrifices you have made to get there at all? If he gets lucky, you're out. That's not as big an issue deeper into the tournament, because you have had some play, so I'm wondering if the overall experience is worth more than the call.

• edited October 2013
    anyone whos folds is a pus5y 
  • edited October 2013
    Lol. Yes, we know we are ahead going in (unless he has aces too), but would you not factor into your decision the sacrifices you have made to get there at all? If he gets lucky, you're out. That's not as big an issue deeper into the tournament, because you have had some play, so I'm wondering if the overall experience is worth more than the call.
    Posted by Slipwater
    What's the experience?

You get to look back on your play through the years and say "I got to sit there for two days." You also have to tell yourself "I made decisions I knew were bad and gave myself no chance of winning, just because I wanted to be there for a few more hours."

Is that how you want to remember your one big shot?
  • edited October 2013
    Like others have said. If you're going to play, then play. If you want the experience then just rail. Loads of people go to watch friends and family play and to enjoy the atmosphere. ( I know this is a hypothetical question and not directly related to you. Well I hope not anyway!)
  • edited October 2013
    call - villian has AA and rivers a flush - poker is harsh :D

• edited October 2013
    I just thought that perhaps you may want to take it all in for at least a few hands, find your feet, etc, before charging in and having a sweat right away. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably calling as well, but I just think there are other considerations. You can still fold and get involved a few minutes later. It doesn't mean you haven't come to play.

And yes, obviously hypothetical! :D

And Rancid - that would be one of the worries!
  • edited October 2013
    Hi S

I completely understand what you mean and yes, i'd be half thinking that i may miss the experience....and it certainly would be. Yes we'd both have to call i suppose but most of these guys above have played so much poker that i suspect 'the experience'/elation factor has long since deserted them or at least been diminished. After all they have played a lot of poker and , to play well, they need to desensitise themselves to bad beats etc in order to play the hands they get correctly.

Certainly if i'd done the same i'd want to peruse the table and get a feel for things without playing bluffs for a while. Unfortunately with such a clearcut hand we wouldn't really have that choice would we?

• edited October 2013
    call - villian has AA and rivers a flush - poker is harsh :D
    Posted by rancid
    This actually happened to me going back a few years ago in the Philippines. On the bubble for 2 seats in the Chairmans cup (sseat was worth around £600) both all in pf, runner runner diamonds for the Finnish guy and it's a startled look on my face.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Double-Up or Out... : This actually happened to me going back a few years ago in the Philippines. On the bubble for 2 seats in the Chairmans cup (sseat was worth around £600) both all in pf, runner runner diamonds for the Finnish guy and it's a startled look on my face.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Yeah I'm sure.

Regards to OP, it's a snap. Always.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Double-Up or Out... : Yeah I'm sure. Regards to OP, it's a snap. Always.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Couldn't give a monkeys if you believe me or not, hardly a brag is it, I lost.
  • edited October 2013
    Any other hand I would fold, but not AA.