You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker, levels and moving up levels

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Hey!

Was just looking for some opinions on this, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Does everyone think if you are beating a level/ doing well at a level when suitably bankrolled you should move up?

Or, if somethings not broke, why fix it?

At the moment in the last few months, the levels I play i'm winning at comfortably - it's micro stakes cash, MTT's and Heads Up sit and go games.

I was pretty sure I wanted to have a go at higher levels, but now i'm not to sure.

I just play for fun, it's just a bonus it provides some extra money, which it has consitantly over the last few months.

I know Tintin always stuck at the lower levels, and did well from it.

Any opinions on this would be greatly welcomed!

Comments

• edited October 2013
    It really is completely up to you, there's no one right answer.

If you want to move up, you think you're good enough and are rolled for it, then go for it.

If you don't want to move up, none of the other bits matter about being rolled etc cos why would you move up if you don't want to.

I think for a lot of people (me included) it can be scary cos it's stepping outside of your comfort zone. For instance going from £10 HU games to £20 HU games might mean a bad session isn't -£100 anymore, it's now -£200. Or going from 20NL where a bad session might be -£80, and stepping up to 50NL suddenly means a bad session might be -£200.

If you do genuinely want to move up but are scared of the above then maybe play 90% of your HU games at £5s, then play your last few games at £10. Or with cash play 4 tables of your current level and 1 of the higher level. That way, you limit your risk of losing tons but start to get used to playing with bigger amounts.

EDIT: FWIW, I think ya should move up when you're rolled etc but that's just my opinion as I've always wanted to work through the levels to play higher and higher and make a comfortable living from the game. All about what you want really.
  • edited October 2013
    If you can afford to play higher stake cash games, then may as well give it a try. If it's not going well, move back down and try again later. If you find no matter how often you move up that you can't win at the higher stakes then you should just stick to what you win at but chances are you'll be able to beat your new level eventually if you can comfortably win at the level below as the standard doesn't improve that much!
  • edited October 2013
    What is your motivation

£ or challenge yourself

The whole thing about moving up levels is what do you want to acheive and at what point does that desire end.

Basically if you have no goal then all your doing is constantly building a roll to play higher and not withdrawing and not really getting real life satifiscation out of poker apart from the figure on the screen moving upwards.
    Withdrawing and spending poker money is so good and should be enjoyed.

So essentially just have a realistic goal and do not ignore the fact that you are winning at the level your playing and that's never a bad thing. Being able to withdraw each month is a far better feeling than struggling to break even at a higher level for example.

As above no harm in taking shots and banking a few quid + putting more experiene in the bag should you decide to give the next level a proper go.

• edited October 2013

At the moment i'm  withdrawing about £200 per month, maybe a bit more than that (on average).

Which is really good and i'm happy with, because it's just a hobby, bit of fun and that's not from a great amount of volume.

Basically, i'm doing it in a really risk averse way.

Maybe just take a shot, and set a figure, £200-300 and if that is lost move back down again.

Don't know if I should move up when i'm doing well, comparative to stakes played. Or just keep the status quo.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker, levels and moving up levels:
    If you can afford to play higher stake cash games, then may as well give it a try. If it's not going well, move back down and try again later. If you find no matter how often you move up that you can't win at the higher stakes then you should just stick to what you win at but chances are you'll be able to beat your new level eventually if you can comfortably win at the level below as the standard doesn't improve that much!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    F_Ivanovic - interesting, it would be good to hear your experience of this.
  • edited October 2013
    more money = more fun. move up
  • edited October 2013
    Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable - kinda the same thing I've said to all my girlfriends in the past :D
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker, levels and moving up levels : F_Ivanovic - interesting, it would be good to hear your experience of this.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Well I mean there are some levels where there are bigger jumps in difficulty. Certainly I expect 50NL to 100NL and 100NL to 200NL there to be a decent jump. There's probably a jump between 4NL and 10NL, a small jump between 10 and 20. And then A small jump between 20 and 50NL.
  • edited October 2013
    jumps in skill levels depends vastly on where you play- on every site imo theres a particular level where the jump in skill seems alot more than others- and every level past that changes get increasingly tougher to beat- some of the bigger populated sites this level may be lower, due to the amount of regs that decide to stay at the lower levels and still play for a living .. 

to Larson-id always take shots but leave enough behind to be comfortable at the lower levels - if u lose then dont be disheartened - reveiw your sessions ready for the nxt time u try :)
  • edited October 2013

I think the main issue as far as moving up is concerned is why you are playing in the first place.

If your main purpose for playing is to have fun then you should be playing at the level that gives you the most fun and if you are beating it then all well and good. The issue with moving up levels is that the higher it goes the more serious it becomes and the fun tends to drop off.

At the moment you are making a nice little bonus income for yourself and that is good but you must ensure that the fun remains whatever level you play at. So if that means moving up then ok, but if it means staying where you are then that is fine too.

Make sure you keep true to your reasons for playing the game.
  • edited October 2013
     I think the main issue as far as moving up is concerned is why you are playing in the first place.  If your main purpose for playing is to have fun then you should be playing at the level that gives you the most fun and if you are beating it then all well and good. The issue with moving up levels is that the higher it goes the more serious it becomes and the fun tends to drop off.  At the moment you are making a nice little bonus income for yourself and that is good but you must ensure that the fun remains whatever level you play at. So if that means moving up then ok, but if it means staying where you are then that is fine too.  Make sure you keep true to your reasons for playing the game.
    Posted by Talon
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

Yeah Talon it's really important that i keep enjoying it. Sustained losses would soon change that!

I think what'll i do (in the early New Year) is set aside 200-300pound that if, worst case scenario, i was to lose i wouldn't be bothered about. Don't expect that'll happen, but in the off chance.

• edited October 2013
    Invest some of your monthly gains in satellites (or just a couple of big shots) at the main events. The beauty of the MTT games are that you can score big with a well played session and a bit of luck, sure you could do it.
  • edited October 2013
    This is something that is very personal.  I know a lot of regulars who used to play on 20nl when that was my level, who were good winning players, and are still on that level.

I would say that it is something that if you feel well rolled for, then going for a shot at the next higher level is certainly the way forward, for many reasons.

- The challenge.  If you are faced with new opponents you will have to take more notice to their game and your own. This can only have a positive effect on your game.

- ££££. When you move up a level you don't need to maintain your current win rate to see a better return in actual ££££ terms.  If you are a 'semi-pro' and have limited time due to work/family committments then it makes sense to make the best possible use of your hours.

- Rewards.  Again tied into the ££££ but as you will be gaining more poker points per hour then over the course of the month this really adds up.  Of course you shouldn't be playing only with points in mind, but as the game gets tougher then taking advantage of the promotions can give you a nice boost.

- What if?  I stayed grinding at levels from 20nl thru to 50nl for a very long time and I had built my BR up to a very decent amount before I started playing 100/200/300/500.  I have a huge regret about that now as if I had taken advantage of the softer games and thus earnt more then its very possible I could have progressed faster. 

If you are unsure when moving up then for the first few sessions reduce your tables so you can get better reads/focus on the new regulars.  

If it doesn't quite go to plan, then with some solid BRM you can just grind it back at your current levels and then go from there.

• edited October 2013
    had a quick go at 30 to 50nl other day whilst trying to get to grips with new software (I dont like it).

Surprised at level of play was quite good. I would say it was tougher than 1/2 on here 3 years ago.

A big thing though with levels is your table selection. A reg filled 50nl table will be harder than a 1/3 table with a very charitable person on it.

Also as you move up rake becomes less as their is a cap.