You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Haddenuff: The Sequel.

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Looking for proof that Poker is rigged and completely bent? Come into my office.

Picture the scene: it's 3am and I'm playing Poker (yes, I know I should have been in bed dreaming about being able to fly; driving a Lamborghini; or being surrounded by nubile women wanting to lick me on the face, but I'm a hopeless addict, so let's just move on, shall we?)

It's 50p/£1 blinds and Hero is in early position and raises to £6 with pocket Aces. Everyone folds, except Donkey-Villain, who calls with Queen King. The flop brings rag, rag, Queen, and on an un-raised pot, Villian bets half the pot. Hero immediately check-raises to an eye watering £200. That indicates some strength, right? Or a massive bluff. What would you do?

More importantly, what does the Villain do? Yep, you guessed it: the idiot calls... and then hits the King on the River.

Am I bitter? No, not really. Because as it happens, I was the Donkey Villain on this occasion. It was me who made the bad call and administered the 'bad beat'.

I admit to being quite tipsy, and to give this some more perspective; had been sitting at a live game that was quite simply ludicrous: People raising to £40 pre-flop (with air), or limping for £1, and then raising to £80 on a board of rags... that kind of thing. Apart from being utterly Langered, I simply got tired of being bullied off of big hands, so made a slightly dodgy call – that just happened to work in my favour.

Will you hear me moan or whinge? No. I accepted this bad beat with dignity: I immediately left the table, tipped the cocktail waitress, the dealer, and the cabbie on the way home, and woke up this morning with a bursting wallet... all after a night out with mates, a good meal, and a nice game of (mad) Poker.

So why is it that others can't accept an outdraw with as much finesse as me? I really have no idea, but think I should be elected as President of something important with immediate effect.

The moral of the story is: If you want something safe and reliable, buy a Volvo. If you want unpredictability, ebbs and flows, profit and loss, an adrenaline boost, a sense of raw danger and imminent disaster, an electric feeling of connectivity with the Universe, then play cards. It really is that simple.

For the avoidance of doubt, I receive no commission or remuneration for recommending Volvos. 

Comments