You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Recreational High Stake Players...

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Of course, it is mostly recreational players at the low levels of cash poker, but is there a case for saying there are also a lot of recreational players at the much higher levels? I mean, obviously there are a lot of guys and girls who make a tidy profit at the 'nosebleeds', and these players take the game very seriously, but would it be fair to say that because of the money involved there is also an increased chance that a healthy percentage of these players are not great on the felt, and are there purely because they have the money to do so and fancy mixing it up with the big boys?

I think that some players - who would otherwise have moved up the ranks - are frightened by the idea that everyone 'upstairs' is much better at poker than they are. In some (probably most) cases, I'm sure this is true, but, surely there is value to be had at every level of the game. Personally, I have not gone beyond 50nl, but I have seen plays there that a regular 4nl player would know is poor. I sometimes think the fear factor is not proportionate to the reality.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I dunno about the nosebleed stakes, but in general i find the 100nl/50nl tables are often much softer than your average 20nl tables on this site, so i'm guessing there are quite a few recreational players happy to gamble a few hundred/thousand pounds away each week. 
  • edited October 2013
    Its impossible to have a game of poker without at least one person spending money on the game.

However, it is possible to have a game where all players at the table are losing money.

A game wont get going without a recreational player at the table.
  • edited October 2013
    Think you will find that at higher levels there is better poker, players appreciate a raise, but also know when to bluff.
    Where at lower stakes there are some players who just want to play anything, chase flush and run draws and sometimes get there, it's just a bit of fun for them, but can be very frustrating for other players, but is part of the game. jmo.