You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I Suck at Omaha...

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
I play a lot of hold em, and I can sometimes put my opponent on a hand. I often have a fair idea where they are in a hand, or the range they are holding. It doesn't mean I can get away from it when I'm behind, but that's a different matter!

...anyway, I just played a couple of Omaha DYMs, and I have no idea what they are doing/drawing to/playing! I can't even see how it's possible.

Does anyone else here suck at this game?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Just play Omaha high low, i must be close 2 an expert now.... When its says low hand, just go all in cause it's always a split pot! Full proof
  • edited October 2013

Both PLO and PLO8 are wonderful games. The main thing to remember is that is primarily a drawing game, much more so than holdem. And with 6 possible holdings multiple draws are available at the same time including many more hidden draws. For example K73 rainbow may seem the driest board possible but imagine if someone is holding 456x to see that they have a lot of draws going on there.

It is a game that takes some getting used to but it has a great feel to it when you can get to grips with it.

Couple of pointers for you to see if they help. Draw to the nuts only. Overpair or TPTK is worth nothing. Bluff a lot less than you would in holdem
  • edited October 2013
    Mega suck at this game.

Like a total idiot at it.  Tried it once or twice - clicking buttons and hoping something works!

Apparently two pair isnt even that good in omaha... :/

And dont get me started on omaha hi-lo.  Even less of an idea of what im doing - if thats possible.
  • edited October 2013
    Plus the nut flush isn't the nut flush! Made that mistake a couple of times till lambert told me you needed 2 suited cards for a flush :| 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: I Suck at Omaha...:
    Plus the nut flush isn't the nut flush! Made that mistake a couple of times till lambert told me you needed 2 suited cards for a flush :| 
    Posted by LARSON7
    Even I knew that, donkey :p
  • edited October 2013
    Mega suck at this game. Like a total idiot at it.  Tried it once or twice - clicking buttons and hoping something works! Apparently two pair isnt even that good in omaha... :/ And dont get me started on omaha hi-lo.  Even less of an idea of what im doing - if thats possible.
    Posted by gazza127
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is this post to get players to play u,once or twice is not that accurate
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: I Suck at Omaha... : hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is this post to get players to play u,once or twice is not that accurate
    Posted by CHILLIE
    Erm.  Think ive played one dym on it... and had one quick cash session on it when tikay was about.

Not played it at all otherwise....

Not sure if youre confusing me with someone else.  Omaha is not my game at all.
  • edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
    I suck too :(
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I thought you were fairly decent at Omaha, no? I know you have certainly said you enjoy playing it.
  • edited October 2013
    I suck too :(
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I watched you play last night, when we shared Tables.

Safe to say, I formed an impression.

x
  • edited October 2013
    So true Ivan is a complete novice at Omaha

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: I Suck at Omaha... : I watched you play last night, when we shared Tables. Safe to say, I formed an impression. x
    Posted by Tikay10
    @Slip: Yeah I was kidding, I do play omaha (high) a fair bit! Would say I'm OK at it. Omaha 8 I don't really know how good I am. I know some basic fundamentals but that's about it! Was that a good, or bad impression then tikay? :p 

I really ddn't know how to play early on. I know in DYM's you want to play tight but I felt I may have played too tight and should have taken advantage of some of the bad players at the table! I think we were both guilty of that somewhat!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: I Suck at Omaha... : @Slip: Yeah I was kidding, I do play omaha (high) a fair bit! Would say I'm OK at it. Omaha 8 I don't really know how good I am. I know some basic fundamentals but that's about it! Was that a good, or bad impression then tikay? :p  I really ddn't know how to play early on. I know in DYM's you want to play tight but I felt I may have played too tight and should have taken advantage of some of the bad players at the table! I think we were both guilty of that somewhat!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Ha! I am just having the craic.

I never took much notice in truth, I had 3 Tables on the go. 

You did tick one box though - you were playing VERY few hands.

In PLO8, especially in shallow-stack DYM's, tight is right, without ANY doubt. Early doors, we only want to play potential scoop hands, & very few hands fit that bill. Stack-size maintenance rules, we don't need to win it at this stage, let one or two bust before we go to war.

I pretty much keep out of all the early skirmishes. Safer that way. Must say, some chaps do turn up with the most eclectic holdings sometimes. 

Later, with 4 or 5 Bigs, we shove - never call, shove - with a much wider range, because we only get called x% of the time, & if we get looked up, well, we are never far behind in Omaha variants. At the late stage, I prefer any two paint, + any two low, to give me two shots at getting something back. An ace is SO powerful, of course, that I'd prefer an ace in there, too. Caling is really bad, because even if we are ahead, we are never far ahead, whereas a shove gets through unchallenged so often, so our odds improve significantly versus calling.

An odd dynamic of those DYM's is that they often reach Level 9 with 4 players left. That means, at 300-600, with, say, 4 players left, the average stack is 3,000, which is just FIVE bigs. So understanding the shoving range is crucial.

Many players seem to play almost every hand, & that can work, too, but you are exposing yourself to risk so often. If we can maintain a playable stack, then more often than not, the other players will do the work - & take the risks - for you.

You know all these things of course, but I think they are more crucial in PLO8 than PLO.

I might have a day or two on PLO DYM's this week, I'm curious to see how they play. They'd be much quicker, I assume, as we always play for stacks, be it PLO8 or PLO, but in PLO there are no splits, so they must play out much faster.

Quicker = more games per day, so that means more profit per day. Or more loss.....

Seriously, good to share a table last night. I was "wary" of you, & was not looking to get involved if I could help it. I left that to the braver souls.        

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: I Suck at Omaha... : Ha! I am just having the craic. I never took much notice in truth, I had 3 Tables on the go.  You did tick one box though - you were playing VERY few hands. In PLO8, especially in shallow-stack DYM's, tight is right, without ANY doubt. Early doors, we only want to play potential scoop hands, & very few hands fit that bill. Stack-size maintenance rules, we don't need to win it at this stage, let one or two bust before we go to war. I pretty much keep out of all the early skirmishes. Safer that way. Must say, some chaps do turn up with the most eclectic holdings sometimes.    Later, with 4 or 5 Bigs, we shove - never call, shove - with a much wider range, because we only get called x% of the time, & if we get looked up, well, we are never far behind in Omaha variants. At the late stage, I prefer any two paint, + any two low, to give me two shots at getting something back. An ace is SO powerful, of course, that I'd prefer an ace in there, too. Caling is really bad, because even if we are ahead, we are never far ahead, whereas a shove gets through unchallenged so often, so our odds improve significantly versus calling.   An odd dynamic of those DYM's is that they often reach Level 9 with 4 players left. That means, at 300-600, with, say, 4 players left, the average stack is 3,000, which is just FIVE bigs. So understanding the shoving range is crucial.   Many players seem to play almost every hand, & that can work, too, but you are exposing yourself to risk so often. If we can maintain a playable stack, then more often than not, the other players will do the work - & take the risks - for you.   You know all these things of course, but I think they are more crucial in PLO8 than PLO.   I might have a day or two on PLO DYM's this week, I'm curious to see how they play. They'd be much quicker, I assume, as we always play for stacks, be it PLO8 or PLO, but in PLO there are no splits, so they must play out much faster. Quicker = more games per day, so that means more profit per day. Or more loss..... Seriously, good to share a table last night. I was "wary" of you, & was not looking to get involved if I could help it. I left that to the braver souls.          
    Posted by Tikay10

GOOD post Sir!  As you know I dabble a bit and it's fair to say this post basically highlights my failings in the game esp getting involved in wayy too many hands etc. etc.  lolz  I'm still learning (the hard way!) but I do LOVE the game.   I did observe a few DYM's the other nite and was amazed by how long/level they lasted.   Given the promotion this week I might even try & learn some more.  ;-(
    p