You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i just take the free card

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
having got a short stack jam preflop it's hard to know just what the other villain who the calls, is likely to hold so my main reason for the call is to hit a set but having got a straight draw I am now left questioning weather I could force the other caller to fold or if the check is still better
chrisx2525 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £0.83
xBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £17.03
JOANIEW Big blind  £0.10 £0.25 £14.65
  Your hole cards

JOANIEW Check     
rancid Fold     
Hadjinik Fold     
craigcu12 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £38.54
chrisx2525 All-in  £0.83 £1.18 £0.00
xCall  £0.78 £1.96 £16.25
JOANIEW Fold     
craigcu12 Call  £0.78 £2.74 £37.76
Flop

xCheck     
craigcu12

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I would be about £1.20 here. Depends what turn card is and opinion of villian whether i double barrel but if you think you are likely to be ahead of X then it has to be a bet imo shorty can obvs be shoveing with overs X could be calling with similar and if he has a higer pair we have the OESD as backup. Bet and hope for a A of clubs on the turn :)  
  • edited October 2013
    DONT limp the button with 33, in fact don't limp any position with any hand.

Villian's range can be really wide cos...

1) You're 200xBB deep if you do call

2) You've limped so you've basically announced that you almost definitely don't have a big hand.

I'd be the flop cos there's a very good chance we already have the best hand and can get value from worse... if we are behind then we still have a decent amount of outs
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: should i just take the free card:
    DONT limp the button with 33, in fact don't limp any position with any hand. Villian's range can be really wide cos... 1) You're 200xBB deep if you do call 2) You've limped so you've basically announced that you almost definitely don't have a big hand. I'd be the flop cos there's a very good chance we already have the best hand and can get value from worse... if we are behind then we still have a decent amount of outs
    Posted by Lambert180
    part of the limp was I didn't realise joanie was only in because she chose not to wait for the blind to come I was thinking she had limped.

although it's not the case in this hand
    If their was 2 limpers before me is it not more better when OTB holding small pairs to limp because if i hit a set I could get callers more easily by just doing cheap bets that keep them all in, I see limps happen a lot of times with suited connectors when it's a limped pot.
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah I don't mind overlimping (limping after a few others have) with small PPs at this level, just not open limping (being the first into the pot)
  • edited October 2013
    I have a problem with overlimping.

How often are we really going to play for stacks in a limped pot, even multi-way? Not often, despite it being NL4.

If we're constantly raising our hands in position, and our opponents get fed up of this, they'll be more willing to stack off against us with marginal hands. So our implied odds are better when we raise.

We also balance our range when we raise our 22 in the same way we'd raise our AA, AQ, etc. When we limp here, we're basically signalling that our range is suited connectors and small pairs. That might not be picked up on by the newest of players but they won't be new forever. We're not teaching ourselves to play against better opponents. We're playing very exploitable poker.

I could come up with a whole host of other reasons not to overlimp pairs in position. I've made them all many times, though, so I'm sure you've seen them and know what I think.

In short: We can win more pots by raising and c-betting. Implied odds are poor in limped pots. We make it easier to get paid when we raise with a de-polarised range. We keep our range balanced... other things too, but I'm bored of saying the same things.
  • edited October 2013
    balance is a misconception and is badly applied overall

if we attempt to balance our range by playing our entire range the same regardless of anything else then this is just spew

if we apply the balance theory above and raise ip in a mult way limped pot with 44 for example - what are the expected outcomes given the fact that villians are never folding and we are seeing a flop mult way.

Basically think you need to concentrate more on looking at your overlimping range

we need to think about how we play our range verus villians perceived range and more importantly how we still remain +EV across our whole strategy

• edited October 2013
    Why do we assume villains are never folding? Why do we assume we're seeing a flop multi-way? If they're never folding after limping, we obviously just wait for AA and KK then shove. No worries, we're getting paid.

If they are folding, we just need to establish at what point that is. If they'll auto-call a 4x raise but will auto-fold for 6x, we make it 5x. Not because we always want a fold but because they're making bigger mistake against us by calling more money out of position. We want to know how much we can raise to be called by a wide limping range. We play in position down the streets against them.

It's not a matter of balancing while ignoring everything else. It's a question of varying our play based on our opposition, exploiting them in the best way. If you have the chance to play big pots in position against weak ranges, you should do that.

"Balance" isn't a misconception. It's just an explanation of how we keep ourselves from being transparent and exploitable: The reason why, against particular opponents, we'll flat a raise with AA or KK, rather than 3-bet, or vice versa with 89s.

I don't have an overlimping range, in position. Making an unbalanced play that telegraphs your range like this is spew (unless I think that someone is trying to exploit my raising over those limpers). The only way to compensate for it is to start limping big hands. On occasion this is a good idea, because a particular opponent will give us what we want. If we're not doing it to exploit a particular opponent, we're not doing it for a good reason.

So if we're overlimping because we're holding a small pair and want to flop a set without building a pot, we're not overlimping for a good reason.
  • edited October 2013
    ok, people limp to see flops - they don't fold - given all reasoning you may aswell play with 2 napkins and raise, c bet 100% - so we playing with a wide range and therefore it's a weak range and I don't like it.

balance is mis applied overall, you can be balanced in the old thinking way and play a wide range of hands the same - it doesn't mean it's going to be +EV as an overall strategy.

If we wish to "balance" so we do not give off tells and/or not be exploitable then ok, but we can unbalance till the cows come home verus level 1 and even 2 thinkers and it won't have any differance - we still going to get paid.

essentially we can never say we must play this way because it's balanced because it's just not a good enough reason.

To sum it up our range needs to play very well against the limpers range when we are raising and/or over limping.
    To lump our whole range into our raising range and balance to make it far wider is a mistake.Because if we are balancing then we have to include the whole spectrum which makes our range weaker.

• edited October 2013
    We don't have a weaker range when we're raising, we have an uncapped, stronger range. There may be weak hands in there, but there are strong ones too. That's the balance.

Obviously when we overlimp our range is capped, very much weaker and, worse still, easily defined. We're weak when we're making ourselves look weak.

When we have a limping range, it does make our perceived range stronger when we raise, but that's because our actual range is stronger. We're strong when we're making ourselves look strong. That's really bad for our value hands.

My point about raising the button here isn't wholly about balance. That's just one of the benefits. What I will say is that if we think villains are going to limp-call OOP and play face-up post flop, that really is a great reason to raise 100% of our hands. Having a wide range for raising isn't a problem if we're exploiting our opponents' weak ranges and transparent play. It doesn't matter how our range plays against theirs if they're check-folding a lot. Sometimes they'll have a hand and sometimes so will we. However, we'll be winning all the pots where neither of us has anything and even some of the pots when they do have something but can't stand our betting. 

When they adapt to this, we'll adapt to them.
  • edited October 2013

if I am going to do a raise with weak pairs and suited connectors OTB when their is lots limped should I make my bet size 10BB?

elvis85 Small blind  20.00 20.00 6045.00
    showy08 Big blind  40.00 60.00 2835.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • J

sywalker66 Call  40.00 100.00 8555.00
    The444Nuts Call  40.00 140.00 7760.00
    lock23 Call  40.00 180.00 4785.00
    craigcu12 Raise  200.00 380.00 7182.50
    elvis85 Fold     
    showy08 Call  160.00 540.00 2675.00
    sywalker66 Call  160.00 700.00 8395.00
    The444Nuts Fold     
    lock23 Call  160.00 860.00 4625.00
    Flop

• J

showy08 Check     
    sywalker66 Check     
    lock23 Check     
    craigcu12 Bet  440.00 1300.00 6742.50
    showy08 Fold     
    sywalker66 Call  440.00 1740.00 7955.00
    lock23 Call  440.00 2180.00 4185.00
    Turn

sywalker66 Check     
    lock23 Bet  240.00 2420.00 3945.00
    craigcu12 Call  240.00 2660.00 6502.50
    sywalker66 Call  240.00 2900.00 7715.00
    River

• A

sywalker66 Check     
    lock23 Bet  880.00 3780.00 3065.00
    craigcu12 Call  880.00 4660.00 5622.50
    sywalker66 All-in  7715.00 12375.00 0.00
    lock23 Fold     
    craigcu12 Fold     
    sywalker66 Muck     
    sywalker66 Win  5540.00  5540.00
    sywalker66 Return  6835.00 0.00 12375.00
  • edited October 2013
    Hey Craig

It's 10nl not 100 nl! If you want to limp on the button, pocket 3s is quite a decent hand to see multiway with a pocket pair.

Don't worry about all this "limping range" and "overlimping" and "balancing our limping range". Just do what is right for you, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with limping or raising here.

I've played against you often enough to know you seldom limp into a pot, so doing it once in a while is all good.  

In this hand Bet flop about 1.30-55.

• edited October 2013
    Hey Craig It's 10nl not 100 nl! If you want to limp on the button, pocket 3s is quite a decent hand to see multiway with a pocket pair. Don't worry about all this "limping range" and "overlimping" and "balancing our limping range". Just do what is right for you, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with limping or raising here. I've played against you often enough to know you seldom limp into a pot, so doing it once in a while is all good.   In this hand Bet flop about 1.30-55.  
    Posted by LARSON7
    Come on Henrik! You cannot seriously be suggesting open limping the button with a pair is the right way to play? If we're raising AA, AK, 88 etc here, we should be raising 33, 5 7s, 9 10o etc as well.

A few times I've seen you advocate limping in with small/medium pairs. Each to their own but this is far from optimal I feel.
  • edited October 2013
    I hate limping, its got to be one of the worst things in poker lol. Punish them, make them pay to see flops and just bet bet bet when you hit, if they limp in the first place then they are probably not capable of folding bottom pair never mind top pair.

I'm just ranting though since every person who has limp/called against me lately has got lucky and took my chips hahaha.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: should i just take the free card : Come on Henrik! You cannot seriously be suggesting open limping the button with a pair is the right way to play? If we're raising AA, AK, 88 etc here, we should be raising 33, 5 7s, 9 10o etc as well. A few times I've seen you advocate limping in with small/medium pairs. Each to their own but this is far from optimal I feel.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You could well be right.

I just feel sometimes people play in a robotic way you must no do this/ you have to do this.

A lot of poker is circumstantial.

I agree 100% as a rule of thumb limping is not optimal. However, once in a while it's good to throw in a limp.

This hand OTB we can raise 3s, I cnat remember how many are in the pot, but chances are they are coming all to see a flop. If we hit a set, they can hit there junky 2 pairs, top pairs bad kicker, when we hit out set we can win a big pot, or get away from it having put in the minimum. Of course we have the button can take the aggressive line and take it down easily post flop. But if there is a few callers (prior) we can when a big pot from limping in when we hit our set.

• edited October 2013
    However, once in a while it's good to throw in a limp.
    Posted by LARSON7
    ...I'm fairly sure The Wife would disagree with this.

Limping is all right in two spots:
    1) There have been multiple limpers before you.
    2) There is an aggressive player after you who almost always raises.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: should i just take the free card : You could well be right. I just feel sometimes people play in a robotic way you must no do this/ you have to do this. A lot of poker is circumstantial. I agree 100% as a rule of thumb limping is not optimal. However, once in a while it's good to throw in a limp. This hand OTB we can raise 3s, I cnat remember how many are in the pot, but chances are they are coming all to see a flop. If we hit a set, they can hit there junky 2 pairs, top pairs bad kicker, when we hit out set we can win a big pot, or get away from it having put in the minimum. Of course we have the button can take the aggressive line and take it down easily post flop. But if there is a few callers (prior) we can when a big pot from limping in when we hit our set.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Care to elaborate?!

I assume your thought process behind this is 'its ok to limp small pairs sometimes to try and flop a cheap set'. Cos there is no way you're limping AA if its folded to you on the button!
  • edited October 2013
    with the 33 it was partly down to me making a mistake, what I thought happened was that joanie herself had already did a limp what I didn't realise was she decided to pay a BB to get a hand rather than wait for the BB to come round.

I do raise if I am the first to open up the pot even with small pairs and if OTB hands such as QJ J10 suited connectors and Axs

the major question I have in relation to limped pots is,

What size bet will get enough limpers to fold preflop especially so in MTTs?

the reason I ask this is after what happened when I raised that KJ hand to 200 yet still get 3 callers, although I hit the J on that flop a lot of the time I will miss completely and if I get as many as 3 callers it can become more of a wasted chips than a steal because of the risk involved in bluffs knowing there will be a lot more chance of a caller.
  • edited October 2013
    Nobody can really say what the exact right amount to raise over limpers is. It's going to differ depending on the opponents.

However, as a guide, the old rule of 3x+1 is still a solid point to start from when we're deepstacked in position. We can make it a little more when we're out of position. So in that KJ hand, I'd be raising it up to about 240 as a default.

Generally speaking, as I said above, you want to find the amount which they won't automatically click the call button because that's your maximum value spot and your optimal bluff bet, too. So if you think they'll auto-call 4x but fold a large portion of their range to 6x, you should make it 5x. Of course, we can't adjust this raise size dependent on our hand strength.