You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Abbreviations and Terms

edited February 2015 in Poker Chat
Lol - You called me with that you *£*% ?"&"£$  "£(*!)!$  @£$"*!????

Think thats what people mean when i see it in the chat box...

Comments

• edited November 2013
    As per a suggestion (thanks Slipwater) in the Community Suggestions thread, I have compiled a list of abbreviations I've seen used in either Forum Posts or chat boxes recently. I've kept it to poker terms (i.e. excluding things like IMHO etc.). I've also tried to exclude most things that are specific to other poker sites (but left some in that come up in conversation here)

Abbreviations
    3b - Three Bet (a re-raise, litterally a third bet), also 4b (a re-re-raise) etc. Mainly used pre-flop but occasionally on later streets as well.
    6-max - A table with a maximum of 6 seats
    861 - The Sky Guide TV Channel number for Sky Poker TV

A - Ace
    AI - All In
    AIPF - All In Pre-Flop
    ATC - Any Two Cards

BB - Big Blind
    BBV - Brags, Beats & Variance (a section of the forum)
    BH - Bounty Hunter
    BI - Buy In
    BR - Bankroll
    BRM - Bankroll management

c - Clubs
    C-bet - Continuation Bet
    cf - Check-Fold
    CIB - Click it back - make a minimum raise of the previous bet
    CO - Cut Off - the position directly to the right of the button
    cr - Check-Raise

d - Diamonds
    DTD - Dusk Til Dawn (Card room in Nottingham) or a series of 3 tournaments on a Monday Night
    DU - Double Up
    DYM - Double Your Money (a 6-handed S&G where 3 people win double the entry fee (less rake) and the other three lose

EP - Early Position
    EPT - European Poker Tour
    -EV - Negative Expected Value
    +EV - Positive Expected Value

FD - Flush Draw
    FE - Fold Equity
    FT - Final Table
    FTW - For The Win

gg - Good Game
    gii - Get it In
    gl - Good Luck
    GTD - Guaranteed (in terms of a prize pool)

h - Hearts
    HH - Hand History
    HJ - Hijack - the position two to the right of the button
    HORSE  - A tournament consisting of 5 different variants of poker. not offered on Sky Poker
    HU - Heads Up
    HUD - Heads Up Display (not compatible with Sky Poker)

ICM - Independent Chip Modelling (don't ask!)
    ITM - In The Money

K - King

MC - Master Cash
    ME - Main Event
    MTT - Multi-Table Tournament

NFD - Nut flish draw
    nh - Nice Hand
    NL - No Limit
    NLHE - No Limit Hold'em

o - Offsuit (i.e. of different suits) e.g. a holding of A of clubs and 7 of diamonds would be A7o)
    O8 - see PLO8
    OESD - Open ended straight draw
    OOP - Out of position
    OTB - On the button
    OTR - On the river
    OTT - On the turn

PF - Pre Flop (also just "Pre")
    PLO - Pot Limit Omaha
    PLO8 - Pot Limit Omaha High-Low. Also occasionally abbreviated as "O8"
    PP - Pocket Pair - when both your hole cards are of the same rank (e.g. if you have 8 of diamonds & 8 of clubs you have a Pocket Pair, or in this case Pocket Eights)
    PSB - Pot Sized Bet

Q - Queen

r - Rainbow (Flop of all different suits)
    ROI - Return On Investment

s - Suited (i.e. of the same suit) e.g. a holding of Ace of clubs and Queen of clubs would be AQs)
    s - Spades
    S&G - Sit & Go
    SB - Small Blind
    SD - Straight Draw
    SnG - Sit & Go (for those who think "And" starts with an "n")
    SPR - The size of the effective stack, relative to the size of the pot
    SPT - Sky Poker Tour
    STT - Single Table Tournament

T - Ten
    TID - Take It Down
    TPTK - Top Pair, Top Kicker (Contrary to opinion this does not mean Top Player Tony Kendall)
    ty - Thank You

UKIPT - United Kingdom & Ireland Poker Tour
    UKOPS - United Kingdom Online Poker Series
    UTG - Under The Gun. The first player to act pre flop.
    UTG+1 - Under The Gun plus one, the next player to act after the one who is Under The Gun. On 9 or 10 player tables you can also have UTG+2, UTG+3 etc.

wp - Well Played, Sometimes used in a sarcastic manner, particularly if accompanied by emoticons.
    WSOP - World Series Of Poker
    WSOP ME - World Series Of Poker Main Event

Terms (where not abbreviated above)
    Action Table
    - where the small blind and big blind are the same
    Ante - a small bet (often a tenth or so of a big blind) that every player must post before the hand. Not in use on Sky Poker.com but common in middle/late stages of tournaments live or on other sites

Backdoor draw - a draw that needs to hit both the turn and the river to complete a made hand.
    Bad beat - losing a hand when you had a considerably stronger hand than your opponent(s) when the money went in
    Belly buster - see Gut Shot
    Bluff catcher - a hand that has limited showdown value but will beat a complete bluff
    Board - the community cards; the flop, turn and river
    Boat - another name for a Full House
    Brick - a card that is very unlikely to improve either your or your opponent's hand
    Broadway - a straight consiting of A, K, Q, J, 10
    Bubble - the split between those players who will get paid in an MTT and those who won't. Play at this point is known as "on the bubble", while the player eliminated at this point is the "bubble boy" or "bubble girl"
    Button - marks the nominal dealer position. who acts last every street post flop and is therefore the best position

Coin Flip - a situation where the odds of either of two hands winning is approximately 50-50
    Cooler - when two big hands come up against each other, and you have the worst of it

Donk bet - to lead into a pre-flop raiser
    Donkey - an impolite derogatory term for a bad poker player
    Double Belly Buster - a hand with two different gut shot straight draws (e.g. if you have 7-9-10-Q) you have
    gutshots to the 8 and the J.

Fish - an impolite derogatory term for a bad poker player
    Flip - See Coin Flip
    Float - to make a call with the intention of bluffing a later street
    Full Ring - a 9- or a 10-handed table. No longer offered on Sky Poker.Com but common live and on other sites.

Gut Shot - a straight draw where you have only one rank of card to hit to make the straight (e.g. if you have 4, 5, 7, 8 you have a gut shot to hit a 6)

Head Prize - the amount of "bounty" on your head in a bounty hunter. Players knocking you out will win 75% of the head prize automatically and the other 25% will be added to their own head prize.
    Heater - a prolonged period of winning

Implied Odds - the pot odds, adjusted for the chance of you making a good hand on the next street (usually from a draaw) which would see you win an increased amount off your opponent(s)

Jam - to go all in

Leak - a flaw in a player's game that will cost money long term
    Limp - to enter the hand pre-flop only by calling the big blind.
    Luckbox - a player who hits more than his fair share of lucky flops/turns/rivers. Often applied (in both jealousy and admiration) to Julian Thew

Master Cash - a set of Sky cash tables where a) the maximum buy-in is 200 big blinds and b) have a TV Icon

Nosebleed - very high stakes. What consists nosebleed stakes to any one individual may depend on the size of their own Bankroll
    November Nine - the final table of players in the World Series of Poker Main Event. Individually each one is a "November Niner"
    Nuts - the best hand possible at the time. If there is no way this can be beaten on a later street, then this is sometimes called the "Absolute Nuts"

Open Ended Straight Draw (or just Open-Ender) - a straight draw where you can hit a card at either end of the four cards already held to make a 5-card straight (e.g if you have 5.6,7.8) you can make a straight with a 4 or a 9
    Orford Straight - a straight consisting only of 4 cards. Not yet on the official ranking of poker hands.
    Overcard - a card in your hand that is higher than any on the board
    Overpair - a pocket pair that is higher than any card on the board

Peel - to call at least one street
    Polarised Range - where the only things that make sense are either something extremely strong or a complete bluff
    Pot Odds - the ratio between the current size of the pot and the amount you have to pay to call a bet

Race or Race Situation - same as Coin Flip or a "game" introduced by Joe Stapleton on some of the live shoes
    Rag Ace - Hole cards consisting of an Ace with a low card - e.g. A3
    Range Merging - playing a medium strength hand in much the same way that you would with a polarised range
    Run Good - to get more than your fair of good hands. The opposite of course is to Run Bad
    Runner Runner - A hand made by hitting both the turn and the river cards, after having a backdoor draw

Satellite - a tournament where the prizes are seats in a future (bigger) tournament
    Scoop - to win both halves of a Omaha Hi-Lo pot
    Set - 3 of a kind with two in your hand and 1 on the board
    Shove - to go all in
    Showdown - the end of a hand when a river bet is called or a river is checked down and players hands are shown
    Sick - can mean virtually whatever you want it to mean, usually either extremely good or extremely bad with no real way of knowing which

Tilt - to get angry as the result of a poker happening.
    Triple Range Merging - I think we need TIkay to define this one
    Trips
    - 3 of a kind with one in your hand and 2 on the board
    TV Table - a Sky table or tournament that has a little "TV" icon to the left in the main poker lobby. Usually means that Tommyd will be playing here.

Undercard - a card in your hand that is lower than any on the board
    Underpaid - a pocket pair that is lower than any card on the board

Variance - the poker term for "luck"
    Villain - a derogative term for any opponent when discussing a hand history

Walk - all opponents including the small blind fold pre-flop without you having to make any action in the big blind
    Wheel - a straight consisting of A, 2, 3, 4, 5

Any additions/amendments?
  • edited November 2013
    wp= well played
    ta =thanks alot   or thanks awfully if a toff lol
    ept =european poker tour

will edit if i think of any more. Ho good job☺

Edit 1.... trips and a set may need explanation for new players? Also blinds and antes?
    Under the gun = 1st player into the action after the bb
  • edited October 2013
    Nice job, FCHD. Great idea in the community corner too ;)
  • edited October 2013
    3b 4b 5b 6b 7b 8b 9b - on any street ...not jus Pf
  • edited October 2013
    T1D - Take it Down
    FTW - For the Win
    UTG+1 - Under the Gun plus one
  • edited October 2013
    When I started on skypoker, Skydave posted a very good list re poker terms/abbrevs.  It might be a good idea to merge the two lists?  Not sure where the list is now BUT I'm sure Dave will be along soon.
  • edited October 2013
    Is that FTW means? I always thought it was rather rude, from the Bruce Willis film FTW from the 80s!
  • edited October 2013

How about

Oesd- open ended straight draw
     oesfd- open ended stright flush draw
     NFD-  Nut flush draw
     FD- Flush draw
     OTT- on the turn
     OTR- on the river
  • edited October 2013
    FTW for me will always mean, **** the world :)
  • edited October 2013
    That's what I thought as well. That's certainly the context I've been using it in.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker Abbreviations and Terms:
    That's what I thought as well. That's certainly the context I've been using it in.
    Posted by FCHD
    HaHa - pretty funny I have never thought of it that way. I asked many years ago when I first started chatting on the tables and so have always known it as FTW "For The Win".

Strange how some people take things differently...........

Someone posted "nb" in the chat when I first started and I thought it was short for "nob" :) obv now I know it means "Nice Bet"
  • edited October 2013
    Can anyone give a quick (say one or two sentence) definition of "Fold Equity"? I know what it is but I can't think of a simple explanation
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker Abbreviations and Terms : HaHa - pretty funny I have never thought of it that way. I asked many years ago when I first started chatting on the tables and so have always known it as FTW "For The Win". Strange how some people take things differently........... Someone posted "nb" in the chat when I first started and I thought it was short for "nob" :) obv now I know it means "Nice Bet"
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Pretty sure your first interpretation was correct Trev ;)
  • edited October 2013
    Having fold equity means we can make people fold when we move all in. Having no fold equity means people have to/priced in to call.
  • edited October 2013
    Can anyone give a quick (say one or two sentence) definition of "Fold Equity"? I know what it is but I can't think of a simple explanation
    Posted by FCHD
    I can't.
  • edited October 2013
    Awesome work FCHD!

This thread should be stickied!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker Abbreviations and Terms : HaHa - pretty funny I have never thought of it that way. I asked many years ago when I first started chatting on the tables and so have always known it as FTW "For The Win". Strange how some people take things differently........... Someone posted "nb" in the chat when I first started and I thought it was short for "nob" :) obv now I know it means "Nice Bet"
    Posted by POKERTREV

You must've had this guy down as THE laziest person in the World to think he was shortening a 3 letter word!

cib = click it back

gii = get it in

wp sir = what the f was that???? :)

KHCRHB = Keep him calling, respect his bets. (wont find this on many posts but it's in a lot of my note boxes ;))
  • edited October 2013
    wp sir = what the f was that????Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Haha - ain't that the truth...
  • edited October 2013
    I think I've added all those suggested above (at least all those that have some shelf life outside Dohhhhhhh's player notes)

Can someone more experienced than me in the concept see if I've definied "Range Merging" correctly, and if there is a more succint and accurate definition of "implied odds" please?
  • edited October 2013
    Love the definition of "sick"

Erm... your definition of range merging is probably about as good as it gets in a sentence or two. That, implied odds and some others don't really lend themselves to being described in brief terms.

I'd suggest using hyperlinks to clinic threads that are relevant to some of them, so anyone wanting a more in depth explanation can go there to get it, or ask questions about it.
  • edited October 2013
    Can this be made a sticky somewhere please maybe in Community help and advice or the poker clinic would be good.

Pretty please.

Ho and add

spr..... what ever that means!
  • edited October 2013
    Stack to Pot Ratio - The size of the effective stack, relative to the size of the pot.
  • edited October 2013
    brilliant post

for me i'd add a little to definition of tv table. for me it is a phrase you use when either live on online you find your self surrounded by strong opponents, as in "bloody hell they've put me on the tv table here!"

• edited October 2013
    I'd not heard of that meaning at all.  Is it in regular usage by anyone else?

• edited October 2013
    If we gonna have cooler we should probably have Heater too! Will keep adding 1 till it is made a sticky, I will lol.
  • edited October 2013
    Heater (and one or two more) added. Of course a heater is not the opposite of a cooler!
  • edited October 2013
    Rag Ace = An Ace with a low value card.
  • edited November 2013
    Shark= a very good poker player looking for easy pickings!
  • edited November 2013

Some ideas for you to include in terms - 4bet, ABC poker, inducing, calling station, card dead, dominated, early/late position, drawing dead, kicker, set mining, side pot, slowroll. Abbreviations - ul and vul. 

I'm useless at describing things so I'll let others come up with the definitions!