You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

US PGA Money List 2014

edited October 2013 in Betting Chat
I always post my golf picks on Splashies great weekly golfing thread, but as this is a season long tip or pick I thought I'd give it it'sown thread.

Those that follow Splashies golf thread will not be surprised that I'm picking......

USA PGA Tour Money List Winner - Graham De Laet - 125/1ew first 3

Now it's very difficult to pick a player in October 2013 that could end up being declared the 'winner' on September 14th 2014, but at 125/1 I think Graham DeLaet offers some value on a bet that will hopefully keep me interested well into 2014.

The 'logic' behind the pick....

1) Graham DeLaet is an improving force on the tour.

His first full year on tour was 2010, he had a decent debut year finishing 100th on the money list.
He missed 2011 through injury, didn't play a full schedule in 2012 but still finished 95th.
Back to full fitness in 2013, DeLaet played a more substantial schedule for the first time and finsihed 21st on the money list.

2) World Championships and Majors.

There are 4 of each and these are the tournaments where most players earn their Dollars, look at the top 3 money leaders for 2013 and their earnings from WGC and Majors.

1. Tiger Woods - $3,676,622
2. Henrik Stenson - $2,318,183
3. Matt Kuchar - $2,104,226

21. Graham DeLaet - $16,794

Starting 2013 ranked well outside the world top 100, DeLaet didn't qualify for any of the WGC's or the the first two Majors.

Now ranked 32nd in the world Graham DeLaet should be playing all WGC's and Majors in the 2014 season, starting with Shanghai in 2 weeks time, so will be on a more equal footing with the world's leading golfers, though of course he doesn't have experience of the big events on his side.

3. His game and vital statistics.

Tee to green there were two players that were consistently head and shoulders above anyone else on the PGA Tour in 2013, Graham DeLaet and Henrik Stenson, he of Fed-EX Champion fame.

Total Driving on Tour in 2013 - Graham DeLaet - First
Ball Striking on Tour in 2013 - Graham DeLaet - Tied First
Greens in Regulation in 2013 - Graham DeLeat - Third

In comparison, the putting could be described as his weakness, though never a case of having a real problem on the greens and in fact the putting stats improved measurably as 2013 progressed.

4. The man in form.

Right now there are few golfers in better form than Graham DeLaet, coming off a strong finish on tour in 2013 and being one of the star performers in the Presidents Cup, Graham Delaet comes into the new season with new found confidence and belief.

Though of course this is a season long bet and form comes and goes, so a reality check is needed in order not to get too carried away.

5. The pirce.

Odds of 125/1 ew first 3, look to be very generous, DeLaet has considerably more earnings power in 2014 compared to 2013.

That said, participation in the WGC's and Majors will be a new experince for DeLaet when teeing it up in the new events against seasoned pro's like Woods, Mickleson, Stenson, Scott, Mcllroy and so on.

Graham DeLaet does however have the game to power Augusta and the obvious liking to matchplay which will stand him in good stead at the WGC matchplay event.

Let's not forget the market leader for the 2014 Tour list is Tiger Woods at evens favourite, but I'd be happy to take a second or third place for Delaet at odds of just over 41/1!

Graham Delaet starts his season today priced at 22/1 fifth favourite by the same bookies (SkyBet) that rank him as a 125/1 shot for the season.

Whilst my own confidence in DeLaet is high I may well add to my investment each week at least whilst he is priced at 3 figures.

Anyone else got any picks for this market?