You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Site traffic today will be UP. Yes, it will. Trust me.

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat

We all know that traffic levels, the number of players on site, is affected by all manner of things.

An England football match, for example. A Royal wedding. Long sunny days, the Grand National, these sort of things.

All these things impact traffic levels on a Poker Site.

Oddly, bad things have the complete opposite effect.

It snows, traffic rises sharply. No live sport on tv, more folks play poker. A transport strike, we have to stay at home. Poker time.

Well today should be the greatest day ever for online poker. 

Comments

• edited October 2013

Yes, Morrisey's autobiography is published today.

I don't enjoy his music, & I don't much admire him as a character, he has influenced so many in such bad ways.

But I'm trying to like him. I am. I want to like him, or at least not dislike him. I do, honestly.

So I look at the reviews of his book.

The first paragraph is four and a half pages long. Paragraph, not chapter. Four and a half pages. A 4.5 page paragraph.

In fact, there is no need to remind ourselves what a chapter is, as the 457 page book has NO chapters.

Think I'll pass on that, thank you very much.

Doubtless his fanboys, including the likes of James Hartigan will have been up all night reading it.

I'll just read the first chapter before I go to bed

• edited October 2013

Honestly, I'd rather read 10 pages of Hand Histories.

No, I would.
  • edited October 2013
    What about 3.25 pages of bad beats? Wheres the inflection point between Morriseys garbage and mind-numbing poker rants?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Site traffic today will be UP. Yes, it will. Trust me.:
    The first paragraph is four and a half pages long. Paragraph, not chapter. Four and a half pages. A 4.5 page paragraph.Posted by Tikay10
    Oh dear. Surely you jest?
  • edited October 2013
    I like his music, particularly his early stuff with The Smiths.

But I think the guy's a tool, and have no plans to read his pretentious book!

• edited October 2013
    What about 3.25 pages of bad beats? Wheres the inflection point between Morriseys garbage and mind-numbing poker rants?
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    Well yes Chris, you have a point. Think that would be a triple range-merge.

Can you imagine being sent to prison, or stranded on a desert island.

In both cases, we are allowed to read. That's good, right? Reading is the nuts.

Then we find our reading material consists of hand histories, Orford show threads, bad beat stories, & the Morrisey autobiography.

Talk about best burnt or scalded, strewth.

• edited October 2013
    I like his music, particularly his early stuff with The Smiths. But I think the guy's a tool, and have no plans to read his pretentious book!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Ha!

QFT.

I love Hartigan, won't have a word said against him.

What's the Promo Code again?

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Site traffic today will be UP. Yes, it will. Trust me. : Oh dear. Surely you jest?
    Posted by Slipwater
    I jest not. Honestly.

Can you BEGIN to imagine reading a book without paragraphs or chapters?

I cannot read a Forum post without paragraphs, never mind a 457 page book.

Paragraphs exist for a reason.
  • edited October 2013
    Paragraphs exist for a reason.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes, as a writer that kind of thing annoys me as well. It, of course, doesn't help that the average person's attention span is somewhere in the region of four seconds. People need to have that imaginary break in what they are reading. It also helps those of us who trace our reading by running our finger under each word as we go.
  • edited October 2013

Great stuff Sir!
  • edited October 2013
    I thought you were going to say that Orford will be playing cash throughout the day and that will drive the traffic up.
  • edited October 2013
    Morrissey is that rare thing in popular culture: a man who has opinions and the ability to express them.

He comes out with some whoppers and is way pretentious, but I want my popstars to be pretentious and opinionated. You want a nonpretentious stand-up-kinda-guy popstar? Well listen to a james blunt or harry conick jnr interview, worse still listen to their music.

No thanks I'll take morrisseys individualism, genral not giving a s*** about the bottom line and pretentious, moi attitude over the inane dribbling of beiber, styles, barlow and their ilk.

What's that harry, you've been on simons yatch and like watching episodes of friends? Rivetting.

I prefer popstars who are capable of describing journalist as " a fat pig stuck in a mans body"

Confirmed fanboy here. You'll be saying you dont like billy bragg next, teacakes...

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to ....:
    Morrissey is that rare thing in popular culture: a man who has opinions and the ability to express them. He comes out with some whoppers and is way pretentious, but I want my popstars to be pretentious and opinionated. You want a nonpretentious stand-up-kinda-guy popstar? Well listen to a james blunt or harry conick jnr interview, worse still listen to their music. No thanks I'll take morrisseys individualism, genral not giving a s*** about the bottom line and pretentious, moi attitude over the inane dribbling of beiber, styles, barlow and their ilk. What's that harry, you've been on simons yatch and like watching episodes of friends? Rivetting. I prefer popstars who are capable of describing journalist as " a fat pig stuck in a mans body" Confirmed fanboy here. You'll be saying you dont like billy bragg next, teacakes... Cheers,  TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    You were doing just fine until "teacakes"......

Seriously, I don't mind him being pretentious & opinionated, that's cool. But if he wants me to buy & read his book - & he does, he wrote it for financial gain - then he needs to make it readable.

I defy anyone to read a paragraph 4.5 pages long, or a 460 page book with no chapters. That is my point.  

• edited October 2013
    You should try some pynchon, some of his sentences would match that, lol.

I imagine ill get it for christmas and dip into it for some no doubt funny rants and insights about the story behind the songs.. But most fans will want revelations about his time with the smiths and the aftermath afterwards, but I wouldn't trust a word he says about those matters.

The story of how the smith s got together and the early songwriting process are electric and would make any music lovers hair stand on end,and they are already well documented, but if he adds anything at all to that it will be worth reading. For me anyways

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013

WOW....you were a grumpy so and so before teacakes....but heaven knows you are miserable now.

Cheer up....soon be Christmas.
  • edited October 2013
    Idon'tthinkthatparagraphsarenecessaryinwritingnorarepunctuationgrammarorevenspacesitwould
    makelifesomucheasierifwealllearnttoreadlikethisthinkofallthebuttonpusheswecouldsave
  • edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
    WOW....you were a grumpy so and so before teacakes....but heaven knows you are miserable now. Cheer up....soon be Christmas.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ha!

Imagine waking up Christmas morning up in a remote part of Scotland, no TV, no internet, & you open your Xmas pressie, all excited like, & inside is the Morrisey book.

Rather spend 5 hours in a TV studio with Oxford. Almost.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Site traffic today will be UP. Yes, it will. Trust me. : Ha! Imagine waking up Christmas morning up in a remote part of Scotland, no TV, no internet, & you open your Xmas pressie, all excited like, & inside is the Morrisey book. Rather spend 5 hours in a TV studio with Oxford. Almost.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    It would help getting the fire started.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Site traffic today will be UP. Yes, it will. Trust me. : It would help getting the fire started.
    Posted by VespaPX
    True. A log-book would burn better though.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Site traffic today will be UP. Yes, it will. Trust me. : It would help getting the fire started.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Fire wouldn't waste it's time on Morrisey either. It would self-extinguish.

• edited October 2013
    Pynchon itt. Wd that man. 
  • edited October 2013
    Does this mean with the added traffic you will have the UKOPS super sats back up tonight :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by VespaPX

Nah, you'd need a biography of The Prodigy to do that.
  • edited October 2013
    He deserves to be reveiwed by Jeremy Clarkson imo!!
  • edited October 2013
    Yes, Morrisey's autobiography is published today. I don't enjoy his music, & I don't much admire him as a character, he has influenced so many in such bad ways. But I'm trying to like him. I am. I want to like him, or at least not dislike him. I do, honestly. So I look at the reviews of his book. The first paragraph is four and a half pages long. Paragraph, not chapter. Four and a half pages. A 4.5 page paragraph. In fact, there is no need to remind ourselves what a chapter is, as the 457 page book has NO chapters. Think I'll pass on that, thank you very much. Doubtless his fanboys, including the likes of James Hartigan will have been up all night reading it. I'll just read the first chapter before I go to bed
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sounds right up idonkcallu's street :)
    BTW Tikay Morrisey had a fall out with Penguin before publication. Some said over content others said it was over which subsidiary of Penguin would publish it. I guess Morrisey won as it's out on Penguin Classics. Yes really.
  • edited October 2013
    The fact it is being published by Penguin Classics, has such a ridiculous cover and a 4.5 page long opening paragraph. I kind of just want to read it for the comedy value, but then i remember how god awful so many of his opinions are that i would probably just end up getting angry.