You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bounty Hunters

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on Bount Hunters, do you play these different to a standard freezeout tournie?

It if a short stack is all in, people will just call with junk to try and claim a bounty!

What do you think is the optimal strategy for these games, I would imagine it's probably slightly different than a standard mtt.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Yes, some people will definitly call lighter in bounty hunters - no question. I was called by Q 2 off recently, when I was all-in! I think you have to be prepared that this will happen, so my first piece of advice for bounty hunters would be try not to shove those marginal hands you would shove with in a regular mtt. Of course, you may have to, but expect to be called by all manner of junk..
  • edited October 2013
    I think u should play bounty hunters like u do in any mtt u play 

coz if u gonna make final table ya going to know people on the way dnt see the point in playing looser just play the normal way as if its a freezeout 
  • edited October 2013
    As I've learnt to my own cost recently and discussed with some better players, in the later stages where it becomes shove/fold kinda territorry, you should be shoving with a wider range of value hands but bluff shoving less if at all.

I.e. because 10xBB ships can/will get looked up alot more often, it's better to have hands in your shipping range like K8 where we're in good shape against any Ax (except AK/A8, and Kx with better kickers) because we'll get calls from stuff like QJ/QT/Q9/Q8/JT/J9/J8 and obv underpairs where we're flipping. As oppose to where we might normally ship say T8 w/ 10xBB on the BTN (which is fine in a freezeout given the right players in the blinds) but we're more likely to get looked up in a BH and gonna be behind virtually 100%.
  • edited October 2013
    tighten range in BH's early-mid

untill you get to the deep end and bounties are worth more
    you can widen your calling range slightly if the bounty is worth it, insert a calculation here..............

In some cases you can shove into villians lighter because they will call it off lighter

calling and shoving ranges do alter when you get deep and it requires slightly tighter shoving range

does depend on table though ALOT
    some tables you will have fe and some you will have none :)

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunters:
    As I've learnt to my own cost recently and discussed with some better players, in the later stages where it becomes shove/fold kinda territorry, you should be shoving with a wider range of value hands but bluff shoving less if at all. I.e. because 10xBB ships can/will get looked up alot more often, it's better to have hands in your shipping range like K8 where we're in good shape against any Ax (except AK/A8, and Kx with better kickers) because we'll get calls from stuff like QJ/QT/Q9/Q8/JT/J9/J8 and obv underpairs where we're flipping. As oppose to where we might normally ship say T8 w/ 10xBB on the BTN (which is fine in a freezeout given the right players in the blinds) but we're more likely to get looked up in a BH and gonna be behind virtually 100%.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Tell us more about this "theoretical" hand with T8 on the button. :)
  • edited October 2013
    I just make one adjustment in B/H to standard MTTs

In an MTT I will start taking risks if I am drifting down to half of the average stack (with an eye on stack size v blinds too of course)

In a B/H I try and stay and above the average stack and so if card-dead early doors I will start to take a risk or 2 a bit earlier than a MTT. It means you have more opportunities to take bounties in the mid to late stages when they are obviously worth more.