You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

windows shutdown in 5 mins

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
anyone else gettin this message? for a vital windows update!

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Nope, and have never seen Windows issue any such statement regarding updates (although I haven't seen Windows 8).
    Something shifty on your PC perhaps?

• edited October 2013
    windows 8 to 8.1?
    Was released yesterday.
  • edited October 2013
    Just windows 8 I guess was only off a minute.

I wish I had bought another windows 7 puter hate 8 lol would not advise anyone buying 1 have had nothing but trouble on all the poker sites cept Stars and Tilt even with them had to disable programme to download them. Ha well onwards and upwards!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to windows shutdown in 5 mins:
    anyone else gettin this message? for a vital windows update!
    Posted by a00rock
    It's a standard windows update message.
    you can postpone it but it will keep nagging at you until you do a restart.
  • edited October 2013
    Righteo, good stuff :)

• edited October 2013
    This happens sometimes when windows applies automatic updates. It allows you to finish your session on the pc by postponing it until you are ready to re-start you pc.

Its cosha - but a little annoying at times :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: windows shutdown in 5 mins:
    In Response to windows shutdown in 5 mins : It's a standard windows update message. you can postpone it but it will keep nagging at you until you do a restart.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    werent standard was shut down from their end to do upload had no choice.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to windows shutdown in 5 mins : It's a standard windows update message. you can postpone it but it will keep nagging at you until you do a restart.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    Standard in Windows 8? (not seen it)

In previous versions I've never seen a Windows Update related message stating that it will be shut down in 5 mins. I've seen plenty of Windows Update messages but nothing like that. There is a scheduled shut down command that produces something like that. Or Malware.

Happy to hear it is a Windows 8 feature though, or a previous version's message I've somehow missed all these years.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: windows shutdown in 5 mins : Standard in Windows 8? (not seen it) In previous versions I've never seen a Windows Update related message stating that it will be shut down in 5 mins. I've seen plenty of Windows Update messages but nothing like that. There is a scheduled shut down command that produces something like that. Or Malware. Happy to hear it is a Windows 8 feature though, or a previous version's message I've somehow missed all these years.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I dont want to get into an argument about this I was just trying to reasure someone that it wasn't a problem.
    My job involves repairing and updating computers as well as virus and malware removal but I'll just keep my mouth shut in future if I'm just going to get sarcastic replies like this.

• edited October 2013
    lol--- good reply, and perfectly worded for avoiding an argument?
  • edited October 2013
    Apologies, Joe, but I wasn't being sarcastic. Was just trying (but failing) to say happy to be corrected.

• edited October 2013
    I'm more interested to find out what "their end" was that would have power to re-start your computer without you having anything to do about it.
  • edited October 2013
    It gave a warning at 10 minutes then 5 then 2 that you had to close all yr windows and that it was shutting down for upto 15 mins to do whatever it needed to do. I have never seen this before on any windows system I have used so it must have been important.