You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making calls just for information

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Say youre in cash or playing a tournament.  You're pretty deep and you pick up an OK hand and are the aggressor pre, however it is unlikely you are best once the flop hits.  The action from that point is irregular - donk lead min bet from villain gets you confused.  You know youre hand is probably not good (bottom pair for instance) but the bet is so cheap, you decide to call.

Turn and river is exactly the same with blanks popping up.  Question is do you just try and shift the man off the pot by raising, fold or is it best to call him down and see his hand, so you know exactly how villain plays this hand for future reference and can exploit it at other stages which are more +ev? 

So basically... is it ever OK to just call someone knowing youre beat for the info.  If so when can we do it?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I might call very very small river bets 'for info' if I think there's also a small chance we can sometimes be good but I'd deffo never recommend calling down 3 streets just to find out how someone played a particular hand.
  • edited October 2013
    me personally i call the odd hand i,am 90% losing in different situations and depending if i have played the player before and mostly when i have the stack too be able too drop a couple of bbs. as the info u can gain from playing that hand and seeing what they are willing too play could lead too greater returns later in the game and also gives them the impression that u play worse hands than u would ussually play dropping say 100 chips out of 2000 just too see if they bluff or only bet with top pair is worth the odd look especially if they continually bet and raise often.
    thats just my opinion.
  • edited October 2013
    You might gain some info, but usually if someone is making weird minleads etcall you'll get is just confirmation that a villian is eg clicking buttons with a weak pair.  Don't forget that you also pay for the rest of the table to get that info for free. Often these people wont have set ranges or stratagies. So they may make a  weak lead with a draw one hand and check raise it the next. Might call very small river bets just out of pure lol-curiousity, but id consider that a concious leak on my part rather than some data-mining plus ev strat.

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    you can be good v draws aswell thus i call down, good sometimes and info for the future. After a few sights i sometimes raise so see how they react. Maybe with less showdown val than we have here tho 
  • edited October 2013
    Better result last night Gazza well done onwards and upwards.
  • edited October 2013
    Calling for information is something very important imo as long as it is cheap to call.

It helps give us reads for future hands

• edited October 2013
    like lambert says not worth calling down just too see hand and spewing chips off also watch if he very good player and is mixing it up but this time has the the nuts and played the hand the same way end of your tourney
  • edited October 2013
    thats why when your not in the hand  gazza watch what the other players are doing how play there hands when there go to showdown its free info cost u no chips