You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you guys think i played this?

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
gnr1 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £31.30
jazzyj Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £23.98
HAWAYWEGO Sit out     
  Your hole cards

tophouse Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £32.47
kirstii Call  £0.90 £2.25 £32.32
Bergman Fold     
gnr1 Call  £0.75 £3.00 £30.55
jazzyj Fold     
Flop

gnr1 Check     
tophouse Bet  £1.20 £4.20 £31.27
kirstii Raise  £3.00 £7.20 £29.32
gnr1 Fold     
tophouse Call  £1.80 £9.00 £29.47
Turn

tophouse Check     
kirstii Check     
River

• K

tophouse Check     
kirstii Check     
tophouse Show
  • K

kirstii Show

kirstii Win Flush to the King £8.55  £37.87
In this hand i believed he hadn't hit the flop so used a re raise to see where i was in the hand. Two dangerous cards came on the turn and river so i checked it down. After the hand had finished i got told from the player that i played it awful and should try bingo, but from what i can see there was no point in the hand that i was behind, have i got it wrong?

Cheers guys

Comments

• edited December 2009
    and after you re raised where did you think you were in the hand?

i think you played the hand fine btw. You shouldnt be raising for that reason though because whats the point of putting in more money and still not knowing where you stand in the hand?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you guys think i played this?:
    and after you re raised where did you think you were in the hand? i think you played the hand fine btw. You shouldnt be raising for that reason though because whats the point of putting in more money and still not knowing where you stand in the hand?
    Posted by offshoot
    I believed i could get him to fold two overcards by showinga bit of strength, but when he called and the third heart came on the turn i didn't think i was in front anymore which is why i was quite happy to check the next two streets.

Cheers for the input offshoot!
  • edited December 2009
    Why give him a free shot at a potential flush after you hit your straight? Not betting the turn was criminal tbh.
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    Why give him a free shot at a potential flush after you hit your straight? Not betting the turn was criminal tbh.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Cheers for the honesty big, but after the night i'd been having i wasn't putting another penny into that pot!! lol
  • edited December 2009
    Bet turn
    Posted by ajs4385
    Cheers ajs, i love this game, all about opinions!
  • edited December 2009
    Played terrible every street except preflop.
    Call flop, call/bet turn, call/check river vs this guy
  • edited December 2009
    Played terrible every street except preflop. Call flop, call/bet turn, call/check river vs this guy
    Posted by zing
    Hey zing, cheers for the input but i disagree about flat calling the flop, because then if he bets the turn i've still no idea where i stand and i could be calling more chips off while well behind, which in the end could have cost me more than my raise did.
  • edited December 2009
    You raise for value not to see where you are in a hand. 

• edited December 2009
    You raise for value not to see where you are in a hand. 
    Posted by zing
    Sorry mate but i disagree with you there again. I think there are a few reasons to raise. To increase the size of a pot when you have a better hand, to get an opponent to fold a better hand, to give someone poor odds to chase a draw or to gain information on where you stand in the hand. That's the way i see it anyway, but like i said this whole game is about opinions!
  • edited December 2009
    Look at how small your raise is. You do realise that no hands that you beat are folding to that raise so your "raise to see where your at" theory applies to a very small amount of hands which are pure bluff/c.bets. 
    A7,77,88,99+ are all flatting your raise, any flush draw is flatting, any ace in general on sky i see flatting that a lot. 

So if you take that into consideration you can't narrow down villain's hand too much by raising and you're getting in a bloated  pot with a mediocre hand.

Evidence of this is when you check the turn when you hit your hand, which by the way is the 4th best card in the deck for you and are now allowing so many hands to draw out on you. I don't wana go through the list cause it'll take me too long to name them all.

That's why raising is bad unless you have proper history on the guy. And why the whole hand was played badly in general.
  • ybyb
    edited December 2009
    Bet turn, maybe raise a bit more on flop as well. But you played it quite well tbh
  • edited December 2009
    Fair point zing, taken on board, just glad to get a few views on it, cheers guys.
  • edited December 2009
    i think the raise on the flop is fine, it will probably buy you a free river if you dont want to barrell the turn.
    I think pot controling the turn was a decent line to take but i would prefer a bet fold, because you still get value out of hands with a heart or an OP.
  • edited December 2009
    Cheers for the thoughts guys, love to hear all the ideas on it, only way to improve ain't it? Hopefully i can post one where i played well shortly!! lol