You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making up from the small blind?

What pot odds do we need to make up the small blind with any hand? Whats the cut off point?

I have read somewhere that Q,4 suited+ is the cut off hand to call is someone is shoving every hand blind. Just interested in everyones views on what is acceptable making up the SB.

Discuss.....

Comments

• edited October 2013
    making up the SB?

There isnt a range for me.  Raise/Fold only.
  • edited October 2013
    I will make it up if the guy in the big blind raises constantly. May as well give him the chance to raise from a smaller amount, than inflating the pot unnecessarily.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Making up from the small blind?:
    I will make it up if the guy in the big blind raises constantly. May as well give him the chance to raise from a smaller amount, than inflating the pot unnecessarily.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Or just fold a hand you arent confident playing post flop?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Making up from the small blind?:
    Or just fold a hand you arent confident playing post flop?
    Posted by gazza127
    Don't be daft ;)
  • edited October 2013
    I think somewhere around Q5o is the cut-off for having a 50/50 chance against a random 2 cards if that's what you mean.

I don't think that is the best way of looking at it for general play - those sort of stats are useful for deciding whether to shove or call a shove. Interestingly Q5 is actually a better holding than 22 for shoving v any 2 cards.

For just pot odds you could in theory go a lot worse that Q4s as you have half the pot committed already so you could argue than any holding with a 25% chance against ATC is worth a call.

I'd stick to your normal late position range - as being OOP post flop is a big disadvantage.

I would also be raising most of the time. 

Big downside to calling is you are literally up against any 2 cards so you have no way of putting your opponent on a hand post flop.

You will always be out of position post flop so can take the initiative with a preflop raise

Raising will allow you to win post without hitting flop by making a continuation bet - assuming BB doesn't hit, didn't already have a monster, or just plain sees you raising and c-betting a lot and decides to reraise to test your metal.

It's important to observe how BB reacts to being raised by you. If they fold a lot you have a preflop stealing opportunity, if they call alot you have a post flop stealing opportunity - if they reraise a lot you have a trapping opportunity but better tighten up your range.

Also important to take note of what BB's calling range is, which is only relevant if you are raising obviously.