You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

100% knew this was a value bet, but why didn't i do it?

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
One thing that frustrates me about my play sometimes is that i know i have the best hand when i'm last to act on the river and i just chicken out of making a value bet, even though i win the hand afterwards and it shows that the opponent wouldn't have called me anyway i still feel disappointed that i didn't do the value bet lol. Best example was probably this hand from my latest tournament: on the river i knew 100% i had the best hand since all the draws missed etc but i still checked behind on the river just to be safe.

Is it an OK check behind or should i really be 100% betting for value in this spot? Didn't want to get raised really that was the only reason i didn't bet lol.

EDIT: **** the hand history converter thing doesn't work on this forum, i'll post the hand from scratch in a bit give me a while lol.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Hero [Qc Ac]

ROGER240992: folds
    Hero: raises to 250
    nutbreakerLL: folds
    rmoffatt123: folds
    hmfm1985: folds
    resqm: folds
    Miky =I U I=: folds
    romazan82: calls 150

*** FLOP *** [8h Qd Td]

romazan82: checks
    Hero: bets 300
    romazan82: calls 300

*** TURN *** [6h]

Hero: bets 750
    romazan82: calls 750

*** RIVER *** [6c]

Hero: checks

Easy value bet on the river yes?

• edited October 2013

Yeh that's a good river. Bet.

• edited October 2013
    Remember, the idea of betting is to get called by worse (or get better to fold).

If you get to the end and you think you have the best hand BUT there aren't any worse hands that will call, then you check back. No point betting just thinking 'Ive got the best hand so I'll bet'... someone needs to have worse hands they can call with otherwise you're just gonna get loads of folds andthe odd time they have a better hand you just value town yourself.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 100% knew this was a value bet, but why didn't i do it?:
    Remember, the idea of betting is to get called by worse (or get better to fold). If you get to the end and you think you have the best hand BUT there aren't any worse hands that will call, then you check back. No point betting just thinking 'Ive got the best hand so I'll bet'... someone needs to have worse hands they can call with otherwise you're just gonna get loads of folds andthe odd time they have a better hand you just value town yourself.
    Posted by Lambert180

So you check back a set of queens here if you don't think he has anything lol

Even if you see his hand face up and he has nothing he will call with its a clear bet because we do not have to show our hand if he folds so that's a big bonus cause we aren't giving any information away for free.

• edited October 2013
    I don't think Lambert was giving specific advice for this hand, BigHawk, just more general guidance about river value bets. The point he seems to be making is that we need to beat more than half the hands that can call us for the bet to be good.

Skeg, we do want to bet the river here. If we check and see that the opponent has a hand that he shouldn't call with, we still should have given him a chance to make that mistake.
  • edited October 2013
    If you don't think you can value bet in a spot where you have a pretty strong hand then there's a good chance you're probably not bluffing enough in this spot.
  • edited October 2013
    Lol yeah of course this is a bet on the river, and I would also bet QQ too :p

I was just picking up on the fact Skeg said in the OP "i know i have the best hand when i'm last to act on the river and i just chicken out of making a value bet, even though i win the hand afterwards and it shows that the opponent wouldn't have called me anyway"

Obv if we have the nuts or whatever and we're last to act then we're just betting regardless of how rarely we think he can call cos why wouldn't you at least try to get something, I just meant more for spots like we have A2 on AJJQ8 and we get to the river thinking we have the best hand but it's still hard to get called by worse even if we do have the best hand.
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah i 100% knew it was a value bet on the river, i got mad at myself for not value betting it even though i won the pot and it showed he had king high but to me thats irrelevant, he could easily have had KQ, QJ in that spot and he wasn't folding since he was a calling station lol. Even with middle pair/bottom pair he probably would have still called.

Its just the fact i chicken out of doing it that bothers me really haha.
  • edited October 2013
    And i would definitely bet QQ on that board, would have bloody had a full house!! :p