You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

early stages of MTT with difficult hands

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic

when I've missed the flop with my hands such as KQ KJs and QJs should I just cbet fold or maybe even check fold rather than throw away chips.
I don't know much about the villians from these tournaments as i'm not used to the bigger MTTs so don't have many reads on them

White_Boar Small blind  20.00 20.00 4485.00
TNO Big blind  40.00 60.00 2280.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

hurst05 Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  120.00 180.00 1882.50
xCall  120.00 300.00 3135.00
diamond81 Fold     
White_Boar Fold     
TNO Fold     
Flop

craigcu12 Bet  120.00 420.00 1762.50
xRaise  280.00
should I just fold the SB preflop?
craigcu12 Small blind  15.00 15.00 2610.00
xBig blind  30.00 45.00 2395.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

diamond81 Fold     
yCall  30.00 75.00 4125.00
TNO Fold     
hurst05 Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  75.00 150.00 2535.00
xCall  60.00 210.00 2335.00
yCall  60.00 270.00 4065.00
Flop

• K

craigcu12 Bet  135.00 405.00 2400.00
xCall  135.00 540.00 2200.00
yCall  135.00 675.00 3930.00
Turn

• A

craigcu12 Check     
xCheck     
yCheck     
River

craigcu12 Bet  337.50 1012.50 2062.50
xRaise  675.00
normally QQ would be an easy hand to play but as this was a main event an in the early stages I would be thinking most villians will play tighter. having raised OTB would the hand range of this villain be wider than just hands like AK AQ and AA-JJ, could a 4bet have been fine or was the call the correct decision.  was it then right thing calling the flop to then fold the turn or should I have folded the flop?
Duggsy Small blind  10.00 10.00 3000.00
xBig blind  20.00 30.00 2980.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

White_Boar Fold     
TNO Fold     
hurst05 Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  60.00 90.00 2910.00
Duggsy Fold     
xRaise  220.00 310.00 2760.00
craigcu12 Call  180.00 490.00 2730.00
Flop

• J
  • K

xBet  245.00 735.00 2515.00
craigcu12 Call  245.00 980.00 2485.00
Turn

xBet  735.00 1715.00 1780.00
craigcu12 Fold

Comments

• edited October 2013
    these are all hands from the primo.
  • edited October 2013
    Hand 1 - easy fold to the raise on the flop

Hand 2 - raise bigger pre, don't bother bluffing river after checking turn imo, your hand looks exactly like what it is.

Hand 3 - If villian isn't a nit I'd call turn and with the intention of calling pretty much any river. Surely we call the flop because we think he can have more than just Kx... i.e. he can have Jx/AQ/QT/2 hearts etc, if that's the case, nothing has changed on the turn, if that's not the case, why bother calling the flop?

FWIW, I prefer the flat IP here with QQ. His range should be tighter in the blinds cos it's the last position we wanna play a hand from and so generally we will have our strongest range from this position, on top of that his 3bet is pretty massive.
  • edited October 2013
    Agree with Lambert on 1 and 3.

Hand 2 I'm dumping Q9 from the SB - you really want to be looking to play as many hands as possible in position.
  • edited October 2013
    Well yeah, folding Q9s in the SB is terrible, but I'd probably still wanna iso the limper in this spot, but I'd normally be going 4x over 1 limper, especially while we're OOP.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: early stages of MTT with difficult hands:
    Well yeah, folding Q9s in the SB is terrible, but I'd probably still wanna iso the limper in this spot, but I'd normally be going 4x over 1 limper, especially while we're OOP.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sorry but why is folding Q9s in the SB terrible?
  • edited October 2013
    Lol sorry, that was a typo :(

Was meant to say ISNT.

Makes alot more sense as

"Well yeah, folding Q9s in the SB ISNT terrible, but I'd probably still wanna iso the limper in this spot, but I'd normally be going 4x over 1 limper, especially while we're OOP.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: early stages of MTT with difficult hands:
    Lol sorry, that was a typo :( Was meant to say ISNT. Makes alot more sense as "Well yeah, folding Q9s in the SB ISNT terrible, but I'd probably still wanna iso the limper in this spot, but I'd normally be going 4x over 1 limper, especially while we're OOP.
    Posted by Lambert180
    aha - and I understand why you would want to do that - early stage limpers need to be either brought into line or taken advantage of.

I'd still dump it myself - overplaying SB hands was a big leak for me.

I'd maybe use that play as a move when blinds are going up if I had been card dead for a while.
  • edited October 2013

Craig, it really would be better to post individual hands in separate threads. Posting several together just stifles debate.

Anyway...

Hand 1: Played fine as long as we fold to the flop raise. There is a question of why we're betting the flop smaller in this hand than in the second hand. The flops are very similar and the only difference, as we're readless on the villains, is that we have hit the second flop and missed the first. If you can't provide another reason for the difference in bet sizes, then it's a problem.

Hand 2: I don't love raising OOP with Q9s if we are readless. I don't think it's dreadful but we have to know what we're going to do post-flop. If we're going to be raising this hand in this situation pre-flop, then we have to be able to bet a turn that dramatically changes the texture of the board. The Ace is a great card to continue betting on, since there are more strong Aces in our range than the limp-caller's range. If we're not going to double-barrel on this card, we should be folding pre-flop.

On the river, I agree with Lambert that we just have to give up. Our line looks so unconvincing as a value hand after checking the turn.

Hand 3: Readless, I definitely prefer flatting the 3-bet, in position, to 4-betting. This is a pretty big 3-bet and we shouldn't have too many problems committing stacks post-flop, if we want to. If the villain's 3-betting range contains weak hands, we don't want to make him fold those and we're not in a position to know that he can get it in light against a 4-bet from us.

Post-flop; I think you played the hand fine, actually. When we call the c-bet we're repping a hand that has hit that flop or at least has something. If we're not folding to the turn bet, I think we have to believe that the villain is double-barrelling light on a board that so obviously fits our range. His turn bet is leaving him set up to shove the river, so we're looking at calling off our entire stack against an unknown 3-betting range with an underpair.

I disagree with Lambert on this one. I think a lot of the time we can call the flop and expect the villain to be far more honest with us on the turn. This turn bet looks like a value bet to me. To call down we have to think there are lots of weaker hands in his range that he can be barrelling or that he has some of those QhTh type hands. Those big draws aren't going to make up a big part of his range and this is a really bad board for him to barrel, against our perceived range for flatting the 3-bet pre-flop and then flatting the flop. I think we're behind against the range we should be giving him.

To give him a weaker range, that we beat, I think we need solid reads and we have none.

So I think calling the flop and folding the turn is fine here.

• edited October 2013

the major reason was my stack size because if i did a large bet had i got reraised which was happening quite frequently i would again loose lots of chips and it has been a big problem with me in the past.
     in hand 2 i might have hit the flush draw, but as well as that the villians them selves were just limper and BB so as the K came on the flop i thought maybe i could show strength stealing the pot now because my guess would be if they call they holding something propbably K but as i've still got the flush draw i'm not wasting chips too much.