You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Got to love the micro stakes

When most people flop a monster they have no idea how to play it, lol. If I had hit a 8 on turn or the river I would have got his stack. Lost the min well played ME.

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance-ACERAG- Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.40 calcalfold Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.64 rickyhul13 Big blind  £0.04 £0.10 £2.04   Your hole cards 8 8       rickyhul13 Check     TheRat1 Fold     bandit66 Fold     -ACERAG- Raise  £0.14 £0.24 £4.26 calcalfold Call  £0.12 £0.36 £4.52 rickyhul13 Call  £0.12 £0.48 £1.92 Flop    10 3 10       -ACERAG- Bet  £0.20 £0.68 £4.06 calcalfold Call  £0.20 £0.88 £4.32 rickyhul13 Fold     Turn    6       -ACERAG- Bet  £0.20 £1.08 £3.86 calcalfold Call  £0.20 £1.28 £4.12 River    A       -ACERAG- Check     calcalfold Bet  £0.36 £1.64 £3.76 -ACERAG- Call  £0.36 £2.00 £3.50 calcalfold Show 10 9    -ACERAG- Muck 8 8    calcalfold Win Three 10s £1.85  £5.61

Comments

• edited October 2013
    As you've left names in, I suppose you want us to talk about how badly your opponent played the hand. Would you also like us to ignore your bet sizing on flop and turn?

Don't try to humiliate other players. That's not what this forum is for. If you really want to post hands like this, remove the villain's alias.
  • edited October 2013
    Thats a pretty poor call on the river, so no, not well played you and you didn't lose the minimum.

Shame you both couldn't lose the hand.
  • edited October 2013
    so you decide to be a critic of other villians who decide not to do much betting yet you will play hands like Q10 preflop by just limping.

that was easy to fold on the river why else does a pair weak than 88 call the flop call the turn yet decides to bet the river?

if you think he is bluffing why would he bluff when their is a possibility of you holding trips.
    bad call.
  • edited October 2013
    The check-call on the river is fine. Villain will be holding missed clubs or spades more than often enough.

To be honest the pre-flop raise is a tad small but the bet on the flop isn't appalling. The same can't be said of the turn bet. The river check-call is the best thing about the hand, as we're allowing the villain to bluff. Betting the river would probably be worse.

The trouble is the bet looks like a value bet. IF we believe this villain can only be value betting with this sizing, we shouldn't call. If he can make this size as a bluff, it's an easy call because missed draws only need to make up 18% of his range to break even before rake.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes:
    Thats a pretty poor call on the river, so no, not well played you and you didn't lose the minimum. Shame you both couldn't lose the hand.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I saw you pop up at the micro stakes shame I could not have stayed longer you could have learnt something.
  • edited October 2013
    The check-call on the river is fine. Villain will be holding missed clubs or spades more than often enough. To be honest the pre-flop raise is a tad small but the bet on the flop isn't appalling. The same can't be said of the turn bet. The river check-call is the best thing about the hand, as we're allowing the villain to bluff. Betting the river would probably be worse. The trouble is the bet looks like a value bet. IF we believe this villain can only be value betting with this sizing, we shouldn't call. If he can make this size as a bluff, it's an easy call because missed draws only need to make up 18% of his range to break even before rake.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Not often I disagree BL but I do this time :)
  • edited October 2013
    I'll catch you next time. I look forward to learning how to fold 9 high pre.
  • edited October 2013
    Thats a pretty poor call on the river, so no, not well played you and you didn't lose the minimum. Shame you both couldn't lose the hand.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Well on the river its either busted flush or the nuts, I though surely no one would just call the flop and turn with trips on that board, but then again its the joy of the micro stakes.
  • edited October 2013
    The check-call on the river is fine. Villain will be holding missed clubs or spades more than often enough. To be honest the pre-flop raise is a tad small but the bet on the flop isn't appalling. The same can't be said of the turn bet. The river check-call is the best thing about the hand, as we're allowing the villain to bluff. Betting the river would probably be worse. The trouble is the bet looks like a value bet. IF we believe this villain can only be value betting with this sizing, we shouldn't call. If he can make this size as a bluff, it's an easy call because missed draws only need to make up 18% of his range to break even before rake.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    "its the micro stakes" you too many levels above the micro stakes thinking.

I admit the turn bet was small in relation to the pot, as was thinking he/she may have a ten.

so check call on the river was the best option. So when he/she bet the put a pathetic bet in on river, its a crying call.
  • edited October 2013
    I'll catch you next time. I look forward to learning how to fold 9 high pre.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I saw you left straight after me ? Was you hoping to get on the gravy train ??
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : "its the micro stakes" you too many levels above the micro stakes thinking. I admit the turn bet was small in relation to the pot, as was thinking he/she may have a ten. so check call on the river was the best option.
    Posted by -ACERAG-
    "Micro stakes thinking" is irrelevant. We need to play to exploit individual opponents, not a blind level.

We shouldn't be betting the turn if we think the only hand the villain can call with is a Ten. So when we do bet the turn, we have to think we're going to be called by draws and weaker made hands than our 88. If they will call a bet of 20p with those draws and weaker hands, they'll probably call a bet of 50p or more, too. We should give them that opportunity to pay us more when they're behind. We can offer him the chance to make a bigger mistake.

In fact, betting 20p into 88p gives our opponent better than 5:1 odds on the call. If he's holding a bare flush draw, his chances of hitting on the river are 4:1. That means he'd be making a mistake by not calling. We're effectively paying him to draw rather than charging him to.

If drawing hands or weaker made hands don't make up a majority of the hands that call our bet on the turn, don't bet. If you don't think the villain is going to be bluffing the river, don't call.

As I say, I think the check-call is fine on the river, though. The only trouble is that the bet size looks very much like value.
  • edited October 2013
    I think you'd need pretty strong villain specific reads to make this a profitable call at these levels BL. Even had they been on a flush draw, that A on the river falls into their range.

Obv it's a snap call vs Gazza127 for example, but is your average 4nl-er bluffing a missed draw here or trying to rep the river ace?
  • edited October 2013
    I think you'd need pretty villain specific reads to make this a profitable call at these levels BL. Even had they been on a flush draw, that A on the river falls into their range. Obv it's a snap call vs Gazza127 for example, but is your average 4nl-er bluffing a missed draw here or trying to rep the river ace?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    It's the sizing that makes it a call by offering us such good odds. we know villain's unlikely to be holding a big Ace or pocket pair, given the pre-flop action. We also know it's tough for him to have a Ten, just because there are only two left in the deck. Draws do form a big portion of his range up to the river, some of which will contain the Ace, but when he offers us 18% on the call, we have to make it...

...as long as this sizing can be a bluff. I don't know the villain's play at all, but that's a question of reads. I don't think we need to have had thousands of hands of history with the villain to know if he sizes his bluffs bigger than this, though. We just need to have seen him bluff a few times before.

Having been called down to the river, I'd be thinking a draw is more likely than anything else when deciding to check-call.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : "Micro stakes thinking" is irrelevant. We need to play to exploit individual opponents, not a blind level. We shouldn't be betting the turn if we think the only hand the villain can call with is a Ten. So when we do bet the turn, we have to think we're going to be called by draws and weaker made hands than our 88. If they will call a bet of 20p with those draws and weaker hands, they'll probably call a bet of 50p or more, too. We should give them that opportunity to pay us more when they're behind. We can offer him the chance to make a bigger mistake. In fact, betting 20p into 88p gives our opponent better than 5:1 odds on the call. If he's holding a bare flush draw, his chances of hitting on the river are 4:1. That means he'd be making a mistake by not calling. We're effectively paying him to draw rather than charging him to. If drawing hands or weaker made hands don't make up a majority of the hands that call our bet on the turn, don't bet. If you don't think the villain is going to be bluffing the river, don't call. As I say, I think the check-call is fine on the river, though. The only trouble is that the bet size looks very much like value.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Strongly disagree, after playing the micros for far to long, most micro stakes players do not in a million years consider bet sizing, size of the pot, pot odds, outs, etc etc

If they have a flush draw, straight draw, 2 overs, 1 out, no outs they don't care, no matter how bad, they will not give it up.

To improve I admit I need change my mind set and stop playing the micros.
  • edited October 2013
    Granted, we are getting a decent price....but we know we are calling to lose the pot. Could try and get into a level war, thinking villain has bet small here with a bluff to make it look like a value bet etc etc but it's 4nl...he has the 10 or the A a high percentage of the time I think.

Hell, villain could even be ''range merging'' with 99 here ;)
  • edited October 2013

calcalfold still bossing :)

• edited October 2013
    Hell, villain could even be ''range merging'' with 99 here ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lol.

Gotta love the mergin'.
  • edited October 2013
    Granted, we are getting a decent price....but we know we are calling to lose the pot. Could try and get into a level war, thinking villain has bet small here with a bluff to make it look like a value bet etc etc but it's 4nl...he has the 10 or the A a high percentage of the time I think. Hell, villain could even be ''range merging'' with 99 here ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    This is like that boy band......................Another level

The villain thinking is...

I don't have a clue where I am in the hand, I will call waiting to hit another 10 or 9 and then I may have the best hand. River comes and still villain does not have a Scooby do, so puts a pathetic bet in, no relation to pot size or stack, no thinking ill make it look like a value bet or a bluff, ill bet small and pray to the poker goods 1. I win 2. I don't get raised.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : Strongly disagree, after playing the micros for far to long, most micro stakes players do not in a million years consider bet sizing, size of the pot, pot odds, outs, etc etc If they have a flush draw, straight draw, 2 overs, 1 out, no outs they don't care, no matter how bad, they will not give it up. To improve I admit I need change my mind set and stop playing the micros.
    Posted by -ACERAG-
    You're right to think that most micro stakes players don't consider pot odds, outs and bet sizing... but that's one of the reasons that they're playing micro stakes.

If you want to be better than them, you should be thinking about those things and how to get your opponents to make mistakes. You wouldn't be betting bigger on the turn to get them to fold, you'd be betting to get them to call with those missed draws. You want them calling with hands worse than yours, even though they will sometimes catch up.

When you offer them the right price to make their hand, even if they don't know it, they're not making a mistake by calling. If you think your opponents won't fold their draws whatever the price, that's a great reason to bet bigger for value. Don't worry about the times you lose, worry about whether the play is the most +EV available to you.

If you want to improve you won't do it by moving up in stakes. If you can't beat NL4, you can't beat higher levels either.
  • edited October 2013
    Granted, we are getting a decent price....but we know we are calling to lose the pot. Could try and get into a level war, thinking villain has bet small here with a bluff to make it look like a value bet etc etc but it's 4nl...he has the 10 or the A a high percentage of the time I think. Hell, villain could even be ''range merging'' with 99 here ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    All true, except the part about calling knowing we're losing.

It just comes down to whether we think the villain could be betting this amount as a bluff. If he can't be, then obviously it's a fold. If he can be, we only need to beat such a small portion of his range that folding would be a mistake.

Ironically in this spot, I think a bigger bet would be easier to call, in a vacuum. Even if sometimes he has the Ace with his flush draw, a lot of the time he doesn't and we don't need to be winning a majority of the time for the call to be +EV. If he had bet half-pot, we'd need to win 25% of the time to break even. If he'd bet 3/4 pot, we'd need to win 30% of the time...

So we're calling knowing that we're probably losing more often than not. It's just a question of whether we're losing often enough to make it -EV. That's very read dependent.

We always need to consider the rake, of course.
  • edited October 2013
    This post is pretty funny!

Shame Calc has no right of reply lol

Acerag have a look at your bet sizing!

And if you are ever about fire onto one of my tables!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : All true, except the part about calling knowing we're losing. It just comes down to whether we think the villain could be betting this amount as a bluff. If he can't be, then obviously it's a fold. If he can be, we only need to beat such a small portion of his range that folding would be a mistake. Ironically in this spot, I think a bigger bet would be easier to call, in a vacuum. Even if sometimes he has the Ace with his flush draw, a lot of the time he doesn't and we don't need to be winning a majority of the time for the call to be +EV. If he had bet half-pot, we'd need to win 25% of the time to break even. If he'd bet 3/4 pot, we'd need to win 30% of the time... So we're calling knowing that we're probably losing more often than not. It's just a question of whether we're losing often enough to make it -EV. That's very read dependent. We always need to consider the rake, of course.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Probably should've clarified, I think we're nearly always losing when calling that quite small amount. Had the bet been bigger, then I think a call can be good sometimes.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : Strongly disagree, after playing the micros for far to long, most micro stakes players do not in a million years consider bet sizing, size of the pot, pot odds, outs, etc etc If they have a flush draw, straight draw, 2 overs, 1 out, no outs they don't care, no matter how bad, they will not give it up. To improve I admit I need change my mind set and stop playing the micros.
    Posted by -ACERAG-
    And yet......you can not beat them,and constantly complain on here about getting beat and losing money..
    "They are so bad I can't beat them"...
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : And yet......you can not beat them,and constantly complain on here about getting beat and losing money.. "They are so bad I can't beat them"...
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Correct, I know im getting my money in so good and favourite. They play luck.

Villain A - "its only pennies what's your problem"
    Villain B - "Its rigged and I know I was going to hit"
    Villain C - "I knew my bottom pair was good"
    Villain D - "im playing for fun"
    Villain E - " 2 7 is my Favourite hand"
    Villain F - "just gambling mate"

At the micros you have to have the goods. Most people are not at a thinking level of most of the above comments, so don't really think ie this looks like a value bet, im beat, ill fold. They will call with bottom pair when there are 4 suited cards blar blar.

I analysis my hands I play and its due to not getting a good run of cards, I will not say this again you have to have the goods at the micros.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Got to love the micro stakes : And yet......you can not beat them,and constantly complain on here about getting beat and losing money.. "They are so bad I can't beat them"...
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    If you are that good that you offer "poker lesson" you must be as good as the other pros that offer lessons, ie OMGClayAiken, why are you not crushing the games ??..............................................................................................................................................................................argh silence.