You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Being pro

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
What would you guys say the definition of a pro poker player was......

Comments

• edited October 2013
    For me its someone who earns no money along side their poker career. 

So no job and isn't on benefits. 
  • edited October 2013
    They make a living from the game,along with sponorships and endorsement deals.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Being pro:
    For me its someone who earns no money along side their poker career.  So no job and isn't on benefits. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    And pays no TAX....
  • edited October 2013
    Being able to consistently make enough to cover living costs for yourself and for those dependant on you. Sponsorship deals have no relevance. 
  • edited October 2013
    Someone who plays entirely for their income and gets enough to cover all costs plus more left over.

Also some one who does it consistently for a period of time, atleast a year.

Taxation of poker winnings? Wonder if they should be taxable? Probably a bit of a gray area
  • edited October 2013
    Winnings no, but things like sponsorships yes.
  • edited October 2013
    Someone who plays entirely for their income and gets enough to cover all costs plus more left over. Also some one who does it consistently for a period of time, atleast a year. Taxation of poker winnings? Wonder if they should be taxable? Probably a bit of a gray area
    Posted by LARSON7
    They are taxable in many countries. The UK isn't one of them because it still classes poker as gambling.

Many of these countries are banning online poker because its so hard to tax. Such as America. 

Also i believe you can claim back on losses in some countries. 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Being pro : They are taxable in many countries. The UK isn't one of them because it still classes poker as gambling. Many of these countries are banning online poker because its so hard to tax. Such as America.  Also i believe you can claim back on losses in some countries. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Correct if they tax the poker earnings/winnings losses would be re-claimable for tax purposes. It would also be incumbent on all poker sites where tax is payable to hold records on each player going back 7 years for the inland revenue to be able to double check tax returns I presume. If the sites were not willing to do this in the UK they would have to exclude all UK tax payers from playing.

Wow that would be a nightmare for the individual players playing multi sites, for the sites themselves and for the inland revenue no wonder they are not taxed yet lol.
  • edited October 2013
    The problem with the term 'poker professional' is the belief of most people that they earn a lot of money, but if your needs are few and little, you could effectively be a professional poker player on a very small profit. If you live at home, with your parents, for example - by that definition - you could genuinely call yourself a professional poker player and pocket only a tenner at the end of each week :D
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Being pro : They are taxable in many countries. The UK isn't one of them because it still classes poker as gambling. Many of these countries are banning online poker because its so hard to tax. Such as America.  Also i believe you can claim back on losses in some countries. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    this is totally incorrect
  • edited October 2013
    online gambling tax has been coming and will be coming december 2014- 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Being pro : this is totally incorrect
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Firstly good to see you. 

America is probably a poor example, but a huge part of online pokers ban in a number of countrys (now im not saying there aren't other reasons) is due to taxing. 
  • edited October 2013
    online gambling tax has been coming and will be coming december 2014- 
    Posted by LnarinOO
    this doesnt mean poker players will be getting taxed
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Being pro : this doesnt mean poker players will be getting taxed
    Posted by Donttelmum
    no but may or may not have an affect -