You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Wally Factor

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
I've been thinking about live poker and the things that influence our, and our opponents, play.

It seems to me that there is a "Wally Factor" that we so far have no way of quantifying. I'd like the forum to help me come up with some theories and equations for incorporating this into our decision making.

What is Wally Factor?

It's the degree to which an opponent is afraid of looking a wally in front of others. Typically, young players would not be as afraid as middle-aged players and this means they play a wider range. Of course, Wally factor could be increased or decreased by perception of experience and drunkenness.

High wally factor would mean someone deathly afraid of looking silly. Obviously low wally factor would be the opposite.

So theories on Wally Factor should be posted below.

Comments

• edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
    So you want advice on wally factor from a man who turns up to live tournament wearing pink trousers?
  • edited October 2013
    I live for looking like a wally! :D
  • edited October 2013
    Funnily enough, I'm an expert on this subject.

Seriously, I think some of the long dwell-ups when a player has been caught bluffing and is being asked to stick all his chips in, are attributable to the Wally Factor. It would be better just to insta-fold and get on with the next hand, but no-one wants to look stupid so they let the clock tick down to make it look as if they had something.

Also, I believe there is a lot of male bravado at play, especially live. If you make a big-raise with air pre-flop and someone not only calls you, but taunts you in front of the rest of the table that you're just at it and have nothing, there's a Wally Factor part of you that says "I'll show them" by continuing the lie and really making out you have a hand. So you c-bet on the flop, then bet again on the turn and eventually have to let it go to a raise on the river. Thus losing even more chips than if you'd simply cut your losses and lost a bit of face.
  • edited October 2013
     I thought he were on about eye shadow or face cream etc .
  • edited October 2013
    I just don't think this really exists.

Maybe on the first few times you play live, as you're unsure of things and worried about acting out of turn, not posting blinds etc.

After that, when you've made a terrible bluff or whatever, just wait till they say something like "set" nod, grimace and say "sets good" and quietly muck your cards face down. :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Wally Factor:
    I just don't think this really exists. Maybe on the first few times you play live, as you're unsure of things and worried about acting out of turn, not posting blinds etc. After that, when you've made a terrible bluff or whatever, just wait till they say something like "set" nod, grimace and say "sets good" and quietly muck your cards face down. :)
    Posted by Jac35
    I generally just laugh and say, I assume J high's no good?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Wally Factor : I generally just laugh and say, I assume J high's no good?
    Posted by Slykllist
    J high?  You've tightened your range then? ;)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Wally Factor : J high?  You've tightened your range then? ;)
    Posted by cenachav
    Yeah, total nit now, he won't even get it in pre with T4o!
  • edited October 2013
         Good point, I appreciate your post was aimed at live poker, however this is also applicable to online.When I first started playing I was totally aware of the Wally Factor which definitely affected my game, tight folds, hero calls etc.
         However, more recently I've noticed especially in the b/h this does not play a part. Basically any two will do.
         The mind set of ' I will not be bluffed' far out ways the wally factor.
                   I still play like a wally but sadly for different reasons !