You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Grand Final Spot

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic

I had a spot at the SPT where I think basically whichever option I choose (other than folding) is gonna be +EV but I keep thinking about it and I'm really not sure what the best option is.

Ok so we've only been moved to the table an orbit or two ago, I haven't done much other than fold mostly, think I've peeled one raise pre and folded the flop.

We have 32k @ 600/1200 (think ante was 300)

Unknown guy makes it 3300 in the CO
Mclean Karr flats the BTN

We see KK in the SB...  (both players concerned have roughly treble my stack)

What do you do? In my head the 3 options I'm toying with are...

1) Flat with the intention to check/jam any flop.
2) 3bet small and obv snap off a jam.
3) Ship now

There's pros and cons to all 3 options imo...

1) This can get at least another bet out of them and maybe stack them if they hit a piece of the flop with the hand they wouldn't otherwise stack off with pre, but there are gonna be flops I hate doing it on... mostly Axx, but there are others.

2) They could possibly give me credit for a squeeze and potentially ship certain hands they wouldn't otherwise call a shove with. The danger to this is that it could also look ridic strong, like I'm never folding after I 3bet out of like 25xBB. They won't have much info on me.

3) This probably looks a bit weaker than a small 3bet (assuming they rule out squeezes) and might get hero calls from hands like 99/TT which may be scared off by a small 3bet from my stack size.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Definitely not 1)

With no real table reads or table image for ourselves, I'd probably jam for 6 bigs + the antes - keeps it simple and still a fair range of hands that will call and we want to call.

I will caveat that though as if I was in an SPT final I would be bricking myself about playing McKlean Karr oop.
  • edited October 2013
    I laugh inside and 3 bet to 8500
  • edited October 2013
    I raise to 10k myself.  I can't jam here, too many bb back.  Can't flat either
  • edited October 2013
    Whilst I hesitate to respond here being a mere novice in poker terms but I would Jam here. I would not want 2 players coming along if I 3 bet which is possible with their stack sizes. I hope at least 1 folds and we should be in a good spot V 1 oppo. If both fold great we have a 8k/25%+ chip boost to our stack.

Edit ...yes you are right bl we dont want them both to fold, the word great was meant as ....well at least.

Cheers   Ray
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Grand Final Spot:
    Whilst I hesitate to respond here being a mere novice in poker terms but I would Jam here. I would not want 2 players coming along if I 3 bet which is possible with their stack sizes. I hope at least 1 folds and we should be in a good spot V 1 oppo. If both fold great we have a 8k/25%+ chip boost to our stack.
    Posted by a00rock
    Why hesitate to respond? Few of the regular posters are professionals and, if you think they have a greater understanding than you, it's only because they've learned and debated strategy with other players. If your arguments are good, they'll be backed up. If they're bad, they'll be knocked down. Either way, you'll improve.

Keep posting.

We definitely shouldn't be happy to get two folds here. If we had AK that would be fine. We really need to get the maximum from KK, though.
  • edited October 2013
    Since our image is probably pretty nitty, having not played anything, I think we definitely look very strong if we shove here and shouldn't be looked up too light.

If I didn't think Karr or the other guy knew much about me, I might try to look really fishy and 3-bet pretty small. Wouldn't go much higher than about 8k. In a vacuum we can assume that most live players don't like to raise-fold to small 3-bets and we leave both a good degree of fold equity for either to come over the top.

I wouldn't flat. I wouldn't like to give the villains the chance to miss the flop and get away without paying us more and being out of position is just painful. I also don't like the idea that we're already planning to be check-jamming the flop. Let's see what it brings first, eh? We might want to flat... or lead... or check-fold. :)
  • edited October 2013
    For anyone that hasn't read my blog...

I went with a 3bet to 10k. Slightly bigger than others have suggested but I figured a clickback looks so nutted and so desperate for a call, so wanted to go an amount that could be 3betting light to steal while still capable of folding and leaving myself nearly 20xBB.

Opener folded, Mclean Karr shipped the BTN on me with AT, I snap obv and it runs out 892JQ :(

Obv love the call, just not sure I expected him to do it so light so wasn't sure it was the best option.