You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

variance

Should I be playing more than one table to get variance in my favour ... I have played tight, loose, aggressive, passive and still get no joy... I play 2-4p ... would the stakes make me more prone to calls on weaker hands lucking out ? Last night I played just the premium cards high suited connectors and pocket pairs .. aggressively and just cool calling .. im not saying im good but I must be atleast better than average as I always cash live.

If im told I need to play more than one table thats fine but then if I need to move up to say 5-10 I need atleast £100 BR for one table ... 

Choices choices... any help appreciated

Comments

• edited October 2013
    My best advice to you would be to 'never' play single table cash games unless you know for certain you are playing people doing the same. It is not variance that spoils or injures your ability to win but a common misunderstanding of why you are at a loss to the sharks that multi-table for profit.
    If you are playing single table poker you have a range of hand probabilities for any given hand and then another range for in play activity. If you are against an opponent (or several) that are multi-tabling they have a completely different dynamic occurring and are getting more premium hands through a multiplied ratio; 10 tables 10x the probability and so on. In essence they can afford to wait for premium hands and also fold a greater range of good hands without loss. your good hand might be crushed at any time by a multi-tablers premium hand because he is waiting all the time for those hands across his tables that come up 10 or 20x more often than yours.

Be aware that cash tables for those intent on making daily profit are a losing proposition for you if you play single handed against others multi-tabling. Its the law of averages and you cannot affect change against it without doing the same.