You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT - Player of the Year - FAO Sky

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
It just occurred to me when someone mentioned in another thread about Sly being the Lance Armstrong of the tour.

Have you ever considered doing some kind of 'player of the tour/year' or a leaderboard of sorts? It's obviously too late for this year but maybe something to include for the SPT 2014 season.

Some kind of points system for each leg of the tour. Not sure how the WSOP player of the year (and the like) things work, whether they only count cashes or what not but however you feel best to calculate it.

Maybe the 'Player of the Year' gets free entry to 1 SPT of their choice for the following season? Maybe smaller prizes for 2nd and 3rd on the leaderboard, maybe a £110 UKOPS seat.

Might encourage people to not want to miss out on any SPTs, especially if there in with a shout of finishing top 3.

Anyone like the idea or hate it?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    They had a leaderboard for (if i recall correctly) the 2011-12 tour.

The six highest point scorers were invited into an exclusive online STT with some nice money available, but at least one player (I think the Grand Final winner) didn't play and just blinded out.
  • edited October 2013
    Being compared to Lance Armstrong must surely be an insult now. 
  • edited October 2013
    SPT player of the year gets bought into a Monte Carlo type tourney at DTD to represent Sky?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT - Player of the Year - FAO Sky:
    SPT player of the year gets bought into a Monte Carlo type tourney at DTD to represent Sky?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yeah that kinda thing.

Whatever it is, sure Sky can set up decent prizes
  • edited October 2013
    There was a leaderboard for the 2012 season Lambo, with main and side events and a rather nice chunky 5k freeroll if i remember rightly! ( Believe it or not, I made the leaderboard lol and won £600 in the freeroll final)

I asked Rich Prew if they would do another for the 2013 tour and he said that it did not get enough interest or make commercial sense (or summit similar) Sorry If you see this Rich and I have misquoted you. 

Maybe something else will be considered for 2014 IDK. 

• edited October 2013
    It's one of those difficult things, how do you actually score it?  Points system, money won, number of cashes etc... Each way would produce a different winner.

As I found out when I tried to do a UKOPS league it's impossible to keep everyone happy
  • edited October 2013
    And btw.... for someone who has been involved in the sport of cycling and used to be a big fan of Lance Armstrong, being compared to him is pretty much as insulting as it's gets.
  • edited October 2013

We did try this a couple of seasons or so ago after a few people asked for it.

It wasn't really that popular TBH and it's unlikely we'll do it again soon for that reason.
  • edited October 2013
    And btw.... for someone who has been involved in the sport of cycling and used to be a big fan of Lance Armstrong, being compared to him is pretty much as insulting as it's gets.
    Posted by Slykllist
    I didnt do it! lol.

But yeah, there are loads of ways of calculating it and I dunno which one is best. Although WSOP manage to do a player of the year thing every year so it's not like it's impossible, just copy their points system.

I'd imagine something like 1st gets 100 points, 2nd place gets 80 points, and a sliding scale down for all people that cash. Maybe points would have to be weighted either by field size or BI size, I dunno.

Sigh Greg, didn't realise it was last year that it got done. Meh, maybe there isn't the interest, maybe they could make it more exciting this time by offering some really sexy package for the winner.

EDIT: Just saw Sky's reply, fair enough.
  • edited October 2013
    As I had the data and I'm a bit of a geek, I totalled up all the scores for this years SPT's using the scoring system I use for the Fantasy SPT's.
     AliasCashesPoints
    1chrissy_c236
    2MD575236
    3ramrage36
    4MiahStar34
    5MacMonster33
    6Mambo933
    7rossbee1632
    8x_plumer_x32
    9savvy122431
    10Scwuffy54231
    11RUNITSRANN30
    12dave488229
    13Timmaay29
    14sam198628
    15scotty7728
    16scessex27
    17TommyD27
    18Sonicman26
    19POKEY201125
    20Shauny25
    21StayOrGo225
    22infector24
    23mewillows24
    24Slykllist224
    25diggerman23
    26G8sey2123
    27Jac3523
    richwhale23
    This system just seems way too biased towards bigger fields though.
  • edited October 2013
    Interestingly (if you like that kind of thing), only 6 players have cashed in more than a single SPT this year.  I prefer this table that ranks by number of cashes, then by total score as it puts me much closer to the top ;)
     AliasCashesPoints
    1chrissy_c236
    2MD575236
    3Scwuffy54231
    4dave488229
    5StayOrGo225
    6Slykllist224
    7ramrage36
    8MiahStar34
    9MacMonster33
    10Mambo933
    11rossbee1632
    12x_plumer_x32
    13savvy122431
    14RUNITSRANN30
    15Timmaay29
    16sam198628
    17scotty7728
    18scessex27
    19TommyD27
    20Sonicman26
    21POKEY201125
    22Shauny25
    23infector24
    24mewillows24
  • edited October 2013
    lol at lance armstrong
  • edited October 2013
    lol at lance armstrong
    Posted by bugaloo
    Yes, very clever!

Unforch, one or two thought the comment was serious, but it was just intended as a joke.
  • edited October 2013
    Just to be clear, I knew it was a joke when Rob 1st posted it, no offence taken :). Just like to take every opportunity possible to make my opinion of the man clear :)
  • edited October 2013
    Just to be clear, I knew it was a joke when Rob 1st posted it, no offence taken :). Just like to take every opportunity possible to make my opinion of the man clear :)
    Posted by Slykllist
    Yes, I realised that Simon, but I'm not sure Don did.

Maybe he whooshed me, but he seemed to suggest it was "not good to be compared to Lance Armstrong"......!
  • edited October 2013
    For the record i hadn't seen the origional comment. 

• edited October 2013
    In Response to SPT - Player of the Year - FAO Sky:
    It just occurred to me when someone mentioned in another thread about Sly being the Lance Armstrong of the tour. Have you ever considered doing some kind of 'player of the tour/year' or a leaderboard of sorts? It's obviously too late for this year but maybe something to include for the SPT 2014 season. Some kind of points system for each leg of the tour. Not sure how the WSOP player of the year (and the like) things work, whether they only count cashes or what not but however you feel best to calculate it. Maybe the 'Player of the Year' gets free entry to 1 SPT of their choice for the following season? Maybe smaller prizes for 2nd and 3rd on the leaderboard, maybe a £110 UKOPS seat. Might encourage people to not want to miss out on any SPTs, especially if there in with a shout of finishing top 3. Anyone like the idea or hate it?
    Posted by Lambert180
    There is no need for encourage ment IMO..the spt is always oversubscribed,with alternates e.t.c.
    It's a good idea though to maybe try and get more on the side games,maybe offering and main seat for the winner of the Friday game?...(cost monies though)...