You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Nightmare NL4 session: Any Arguments For Folding Turn?

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I think this call on the turn is pretty standard. However, on the back of a two hour, five buy-in losing session, I'm doubting my perceptions.

Reads on villains are that Spock has been opening a lot and the dynamic between he and Kirk has seen Kirk 3-betting a fair amount. Not seen many showdowns but Kirk's almost certainly doing it light... or running golden.

I didn't want to cold 4-bet and force out all the weaker hands. Even though cold calling looks just as strong, I don't think these two are going to think that way.

Flop is beautiful. We must raise but how do we feel about the raise size?

Turn is ugly. Looks like a flush, smells like a flush, quacks like a flush... can we ever fold?

We're getting 29% on the call. We're about 20%-23% against the made flush (or bizarrely played straight). Can we be certain enough?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Kirk Small blind £0.02 £0.02 £11.61
BorinLoner Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.88
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Chekov Fold     
Spock Raise  £0.10 £0.16 £3.90
Kirk Raise  £0.42 £0.58 £11.19
BorinLoner Call  £0.40 £0.98 £5.48
Spock Fold     
Flop

• K
  • J

Kirk Bet  £0.74 £1.72 £10.45
BorinLoner Raise  £2.00 £3.72 £3.48
Kirk Call  £1.26 £4.98 £9.19
Turn

Kirk Bet  £3.74 £8.72 £5.45
BorinLoner All-in  £3.48 £12.20 £0.00
Kirk Unmatched bet  £0.26 £11.94 £5.71

Comments

• edited October 2013

If Kirk is super busy and not getting shown down much I think it's an insta-call on the turn.

Kirk could have Ah+K,J,T (hopefully not Q) any 2 pair combo or lower set - could even be worse than that and just representing a flush.

With the outs to draw to the FH if you need to I think it's an easy call. 

A fold can only be correct if facing the sort of player who would only get their chips in with a made flush in that spot. 

Kirk definitely sounds like someone who will take a chance expecting to get away with it - Spock wouldn't entertain such an illogical move.

All sounds like an opportunity for a book on reading poker player types based on Star Trek characters!
  • edited October 2013
    Sounds like a plan to me...

Kirk - definitely a LAG
    Spock - definitely pure mathematical player
    Bones - Very timid - cares too much about his chip stack tight and very passive
    Scotty - Emotional - liable to tilt
    Uhuru - good communicator - gets good reads and talks you out of hands you should be winning
    The uncredited security guard/lieutenant - definitely a newb who isn't going to last long
  • edited October 2013
    Don't get me wrong; in game, I'm never folding. Even if it were proven to be a mistake, I wouldn't be folding. I have a set of Kings, for goodness sake!!

But...

Why would villain flat the flop-raise with two-pair, weaker sets, bare gut-shot draws, etc. just to jam when a bad card hits? Surely two-pairs and what-not just get it in on the flop or check this turn?

So is my top set just a bluff catcher and how likely, without a particular dynamic between the villain and myself, is it that the villain's calling a raise on this flop to rep a flush on the turn? How often does he have a bluff?

I suppose without the knowledge that the villain is competent, I can't fold. If there's even a small chance he's playing "interestingly" with weaker value hands, I comfortably have the price I need.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Nightmare NL4 session: Any Arguments For Folding Turn?:
    Sounds like a plan to me... Kirk - definitely a LAG Spock - definitely pure mathematical player Bones - Very timid - cares too much about his chip stack tight and very passive Scotty - Emotional - liable to tilt Uhuru - good communicator - gets good reads and talks you out of hands you should be winning The uncredited security guard/lieutenant - definitely a newb who isn't going to last long
    Posted by Phantom66
    lol

But no Sulu or Chekov? :(
  • edited October 2013
    Don't get me wrong; in game, I'm never folding. Even if it were proven to be a mistake, I wouldn't be folding. I have a set of Kings, for goodness sake!! But... Why would villain flat the flop-raise with two-pair, weaker sets, bare gut-shot draws, etc. just to jam when a bad card hits? Surely two-pairs and what-not just get it in on the flop or check this turn? So is my top set just a bluff catcher and how likely, without a particular dynamic between the villain and myself, is it that the villain's calling a raise on this flop to rep a flush on the turn? How often does he have a bluff? I suppose without the knowledge that the villain is competent, I can't fold. If there's even a small chance he's playing "interestingly" with weaker value hands, I comfortably have the price I need.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    edit:Agree the line with 2 pair would be a touch "creative"

Ah +paired card makes the most sense to me with the line taken - if villain hasn't already made a flush.

I do see plenty of players though who will flat with marginal hands and turn it into a bluff when a scare card hits.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Nightmare NL4 session: Any Arguments For Folding Turn? : lol But no Sulu or Chekov? :(
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Got to leave some work for others

Should add that Scotty definitely has a good understanding of the mechanics of the game and can improvise in difficult situations.
  • edited October 2013
    Moved the Start Trek chat to Poker Chat so the rest of the thread can get back to the hand
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah we can never fold here. Villain needs to have a lot more flushes/straights than 2 pairs/sets for folding to come close to being correct.

Also I see villains all the time flatting raises with 2 pairs/sets and then shoving when a flush card comes when the SPR is this low - reason being is they think they can slowplay on the flop but when a potential flush comes they don't want turn to check through and then lose to a 4 flush OTR. So they decide to shove turn there.
  • edited October 2013
    Im not that confindent giving advice as i don't know if my game is good enough but i will try as borin loner always helps out others.

My take would be to 4bet pre faltting or 4betting both look strong. I presume your trying to look more fishy than strong by flatting which i understand at this level flatting can come accross as such as enough people do it with junk but i think 4betting pre will make all decsions down the streets easier + give you the betting lead and you don't really want to be taking kk 3 way unless there is a chance you can get it in on the flop good.

As played, he cbets strong seems to like his hand we can presume i think to around 2.40 would be more preferable as it is a very wet board but that just nit picking. Turn is just Yuk we're beating some 2 prs and 1 heart 1 pairs the fact he is not playing in flow makes it slightly more likely he doesn't have the flush i think a call here is ok but its not a nice situation to be in.

Summary 4bet pre but having got here calling bet is fine imo

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Nightmare NL4 session: Any Arguments For Folding Turn?:
    Flop is beautiful. 
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Is it? We probably haven't improved on that flop - if anything it's got worse
    sure still 2:1 against his likely range but he could already be ahead or have a flush draw
    But yes - you have to get it in given how wet it is
    he could easily be betting with worse or as a bluff

Don't like the flat pre - you could end up 3-way - surely you can minraise and still get action from a lot of his hands, given he has position.
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah simple GII imo would need some sick read to lay it down. At NL4 i dont think anyone would give me that read
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Nightmare NL4 session: Any Arguments For Folding Turn? : Is it? We probably haven't improved on that flop - if anything it's got worse sure still 2:1 against his likely range but he could already be ahead or have a flush draw But yes - you have to get it in given how wet it is he could easily be betting with worse or as a bluff Don't like the flat pre - you could end up 3-way - surely you can minraise and still get action from a lot of his hands, given he has position.
    Posted by GELDY
    Didn't expect UTG villain to be peeling too often and, to be honest, I wouldn't have minded if he did. Going three handed wouldn't have been a massive problem since I'd have position on the 3-better and I'd be going broke on pretty much any non-Ace flop, since the SPR would not be very big. Probably just giving it up on an Ace-high flop, though. 4-betting would just fold out all his weaker hands and, when I say his 3-betting range was wide, I mean it was wide.

The flop is gorgeous. Give me this flop with KK every time! Yes there's a good chance that I might lose the hand, but this is the type of flop we get paid on. Lots of combo-hands, two-pairs and sets in a wide 3-better's range and I'm crushing most of them, favourite against all of them. Even AQ is only a small favourite against us. I'd much rather have a flop like this than a safe flop like K24 or something where we struggle to get stacks in.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm glad nobody thinks I can fold... I didn't think any of you would, I just had a terrible time of it and was wondering if I was actually an imbecile. Maybe I am but not on the basis of this, at least.

I'm still getting stuck with the idea of how I would play a particular hand and I would see no reason to flat flop and lead turn with sets or two-pair hands. Although, I probably wouldn't flat the flop and lead the turn with hearts here, either.

I wasn't sure about that flop raise sizing. I wanted to make it too tempting for him to fold much of his range and this size makes it easy to get it in with one more bet... however, any raise makes me seem committed, so I wonder if I might as well go bigger for max value.