You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Q10 IP low board

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
i didn't have much reads on the villain at the time of this hand but i must admit i was a bit unconfident with how to progress my hand through these streets.

On the river i was questioning weather or not a bluff could be worthy knowing that the villain could be just as likely holding a weak hand and thinking i have over cards.

When the flop was low cards it was probably easy for the villain to put me on broad way hands just as often as over pairs so i think his calling range would be wide.
If my hand was AK-AJ i could still see the flop being worthy of a cbet as would still be ahead of the villians unpaired hands. 

With this hand being Q10s i still have Kx and Ax ahead of me so am wondering if i should have just checked this flop?

forssell Small blind  30.00 30.00 1820.00
pokerpenny Big blind  60.00 90.00 4440.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

jakally Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  120.00 210.00 3135.00
Lord_Marco Fold     
nemo8967 Fold     
forssell Fold     
pokerpenny Call  60.00 270.00 4380.00
Flop

pokerpenny Check     
craigcu12 Bet  120.00 390.00 3015.00
pokerpenny Call  120.00 510.00 4260.00
Turn

pokerpenny Check     
craigcu12 Bet  382.50 892.50 2632.50
pokerpenny Call  382.50 1275.00 3877.50
River

pokerpenny Check     
craigcu12

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Raise more pre.

Bet bigger on the flop.

Probably give up on turn, definitely just give up on river.
  • edited November 2013
    Can check back this flop sometimes Craig. Gonna be hard to rep much on that board, and it's a flop that hits the BB caller more than us. But we can use a high turn card to make a delayed c/bet. Or a heart can fall to give us some reasonable equity going to the river. 

FWIW I might also check back 1010 (or similar) on a board like this.

As played, just give up on the turn. If we bet the turn then we should be going for a triple barrell on the river and it's just not a great spot I don't think. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Q10 IP low board:
    Can check back this flop sometimes Craig. Gonna be hard to rep much on that board, and it's a flop that hits the BB caller more than us. But we can use a high turn card to make a delayed c/bet. Or a heart can fall to give us some reasonable equity going to the river.  FWIW I might also check back 1010 (or similar) on a board like this. As played, just give up on the turn. If we bet the turn then we should be going for a triple barrell on the river and it's just not a great spot I don't think. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You can't just drop in a line like that without explaining why you'd check TT.

As a point to start you off, allow me to make counter arguments:

i) We can be called by lots of weaker one-pair and drawing hands on this flop.
    ii) We don't want to give the villain a chance to see a free card, either reducing his own equity, therefore being less likely to call a bet, or actually improving to beat us.
    iii) There are lots of cards that villain can rep after we've shown weakness on the flop. If the turn's an overcard we're not completely happy with bluff-catching, but we're even less happy with most of the possible undercards.
    iv) If we don't bet the flop we miss a street of value from draws and from one-pair hands.
    v) We know the villain is extremely unlikely to be holding a better pocket pair, having not 3-bet pre-flop.
  • edited November 2013

Betting the flop is fine and I think the sizing is good. On this flop the villain's probably calling 160 as often as 120, so why not make it 120?

Definitely don't like betting the turn, though. This is a terrible card to represent because there are virtually no 8's in your range. You're likely to be called on this turn by just about the same range that called you on the flop. We're only really repping overpairs when we bet here. It would be nice to know that the villain could fold small pairs and isn't going to station us down, however I think it's probably best to just give up the bluff on this turn against most opponents. We're going to be called too often.

The river is a definite check-back. It's really tough for us to rep a straight or flush and would we really value bet an overpair here?

If we bet, we're only really trying to get him to fold his A6 type hands. There aren't enough of those in his range to bluff profitably, in my opinion.

• edited November 2013
    what size blinds should we have for the raise size to start being just a min raise pre flop?

would they likely be raising hands such as AK-AJ and KQ KJs preflop.
    those were the hands that are the reason for me bet on the turn, I thought if he has over cards including K or A maybe the turn is one street too many as he would still not be assured of going ahead even if he did hit.
  • edited November 2013
    what size blinds should we have for the raise size to start being just a min raise pre flop? would they likely be raising hands such as AK-AJ and KQ KJs preflop. those were the hands that are the reason for me bet on the turn, I thought if he has over cards including K or A maybe the turn is one street too many as he would still not be assured of going ahead even if he did hit.
    Posted by craigcu12
    People often make this mistake.

The size of the blinds are irrelevant as to our opening size pre, it's all about stack sizes. Blinds could be 5000/10,000 but if everyone still has 100xBB+ then we should still be 3x'ing.

I'd start minraising when my stack (or the stacks I'm playing against) drop to about 40xBB or less. 40-50xBB stacks and I'm probably starting to do something like 2.5x
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Q10 IP low board : You can't just drop in a line like that without explaining why you'd check TT. As a point to start you off, allow me to make counter arguments: i) We can be called by lots of weaker one-pair and drawing hands on this flop. ii) We don't want to give the villain a chance to see a free card, either reducing his own equity, therefore being less likely to call a bet, or actually improving to beat us. iii) There are lots of cards that villain can rep after we've shown weakness on the flop. If the turn's an overcard we're not completely happy with bluff-catching, but we're even less happy with most of the possible undercards. iv) If we don't bet the flop we miss a street of value from draws and from one-pair hands. v) We know the villain is extremely unlikely to be holding a better pocket pair, having not 3-bet pre-flop.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    You have it in for me today BL! Sigh.

Yes I fully understand the reasons for betting. However, vs a certain villain, I may check back a hand as strong as 1010, just as I may check back an AK,AQ type hand. Balance innit.

If I feel villain is just gonna check fold most of their range, I may check behind for deception. This gives certain villains misplaced confidence that their second/third pair can sometimes be good (whereas they often fold to a 2nd barrel) and means we get value on later streets. Or if they flop something like TPGK then we can call them down pretty confidently or even raise it up for value. 

It also offers villain the chance to rep any high turn/river card. Sometimes, they might have it, fair enough. But we can use our positional advantage to determine what is the best course of action for our hand.

I had a similar hand last night in an MTT. Raised 66 and got 2 callers in the blinds. Q 7 3 flop, I checked in position. 3 on turn and BB leads out, I call. river is a 4 and he leads again, I call again and he tables 9 high and I take the pot. Slightly different circumstances to an overpair granted, but another way of getting value for our hand without following the 'raise c/bet' formula.
  • edited November 2013
    Of course I don't have it in for you Harry. Lambert, yes but not you. ;)

I agree that we can occasionally check back some of our overpairs on this flop, if we think the villain is going to start bluffing his two overs or can't hold many low connector hands, but I don't think I'd be checking back lower than KK. With TT, virtually every card is bad for us on the turn.

The trouble with comparing TT on this board with 66 on a Q73 board is that, with the 6, if we bet we can't be called by many worse hands so betting would be bluffing. With TT on this 364 flop, we can be called by lots of weaker one-pair hands or draws and we know that it's unlikely that the villain has a better pocket pair than us. So we'd definitely be value-betting this spot.
  • edited November 2013
    Hey Craig,

Nice hand! I would over bet the river here, or just shove, where as shoving looks a bit bluffy, bet 1425, and they are struggling to call unless they are super strong which it doesn't look like.

I love the agression and we can't just give up on the turn when we have a plan. If we were going 2 3 barrell bluff, bet big here on the river.
  • edited November 2013
    Just checked the board again, it's ok to shove the flop. He needs atleast a straight to call, which he is unlikely to have, either bet big, pot or just over, or shove, never check back here as played.
  • edited November 2013
    Shoving flop is bad. Risking 3000 chips to win 300? We'll be behind and probably drawing super thin 100% of the time we get called. We might aswell have 72o if we shove, in fact, if we did at least we'd have a GS and probably be in better shape when called than we will with QTo cos we're unlikely to even have 2 overs to rely on when called.
  • edited November 2013
    Shoving at any point in this hand is poker suicide.
  • edited November 2013
    Not flop river.

What i said above, most opponents can't call unless they are really strong.

Definatly have to bet the river to win, shoving is over kill, simply overbet the pot, if we are sure they can't call.
  • edited November 2013
    Not flop river. What i said above, most opponents can't call unless they are really strong. Definatly have to bet the river to win, shoving is over kill, simply overbet the pot, if we are sure they can't call.
    Posted by LARSON7
    If we are sure they can't call, we don't need to overbet the pot. In fact, overbetting the pot is usually nutted hands or air so they may look us up if they lean towards the latter. 

We want to make it look like we are value betting, so if we proceed with the river we should bet 'for value' as if we had AA/KK. 

Either way, it's just not a great spot to be in. There is no shame in giving up on the turn on a board like this. Plans can change on every street so whilst we may have thought on the flop we can get them off their hand, when the turn and river produce pretty poor cards we can reassess our plan/chuck it out the window.

No need to get carried away with big bluffs in an MTT early doors.
  • edited November 2013

what really put me off an attempted bluff on the river was could he maybe have 55 I couldn't figure out why else he would call both streets when the cards are low and he is OOP.

over pairs i'm thinking would go for a raise OTF
    sets might call the flop but the turn is probably a call too many and as for over cards well them are throwing chips away